Woo Audio WA-8
Nov 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #496 of 844

Appreciate the info! What's driving my interest here, I suppose, is curiosity about a transportable tube DAC/amp, never having had OR heard a tube amp. I've read good things about the iFi you mentioned, but at the solid state level, I already have the Chord Hugo, which pretty much rocks soundwise paired with DAP or Mac and is portable enough.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #497 of 844
Appreciate the info! What's driving my interest here, I suppose, is curiosity about a transportable tube DAC/amp, never having had OR heard a tube amp. I've read good things about the iFi you mentioned, but at the solid state level, I already have the Chord Hugo, which pretty much rocks soundwise paired with DAP or Mac and is portable enough.

Since you already have and are happy with the Hugo, I would say just stick with that. It has an impressive array of connection options that the WA8 cannot match. The WA8 will give you a different sound, but only you can say which you prefer despite any posted comparisons.

Having said that I love my WA8 used with a QP1R as the front end; it sounds great with any headphone I have thrown at It. I have never compared it to the Hugo, but I do prefer it to the Mojo. A breif comparison between the Hugo and WA8 can be found here:

http://www.headfonia.com/review-woo-audio-wa8-eclipse-new-transportable-king/3/

If you have the stash then using the Hugo as a front end or alternate to the WA8 would give you maximum flexibility. Personally I'd just choose one and spend the money saved on music or a trip.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #498 of 844
Since you already have and are happy with the Hugo, I would say just stick with that. It has an impressive array of connection options that the WA8 cannot match. The WA8 will give you a different sound, but only you can say which you prefer despite any posted comparisons.

Having said that I love my WA8 used with a QP1R as the front end; it sounds great with any headphone I have thrown at It. I have never compared it to the Hugo, but I do prefer it to the Mojo. A breif comparison between the Hugo and WA8 can be found here:

http://www.headfonia.com/review-woo-audio-wa8-eclipse-new-transportable-king/3/

If you have the stash then using the Hugo as a front end or alternate to the WA8 would give you maximum flexibility. Personally I'd just choose one and spend the money saved on music or a trip.

Haha, good advice.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #499 of 844
  Does anyone here use the WA8 as a "front end" to a 2 channel setup?

Only on $85,000 Pass Xs 300 monoblocks...

http://www.tonepublications.com/?p=18566

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #500 of 844
Man. A couple of weeks ago I attended TAVES in Toronto. Mike Liang and Jack Wu are 2 of the nicest, most welcoming people!
I spent over 2 hrs in their expo pairing my AK JR with the beautiful WA 8 while frequently trying out many great headphones like my own blue mo-FI's, Sony MDR Zx10, Focal Utopia/Elear and my favourite the Sennheiser HD 800s. I just couldn't stop!! Mr. Liang was so nice to me and allowed me to take all the time I wanted. He also let me use a 700$ stereo aux/mini jack cable from nordöst to ensure the best listening experience I could have. All in all I have to say that by far and away the woo audio exhibit was my favourite part of TAVES. I just loved it and of course I will be buying the WA 8 at the beginning of next year. I will also try and land a pair of LCD XC's to go with it.

Thanks again Jack and Mike! I am one happy head-fi'er. :)
I also can't wait to try tube rolling with this beast in the near future. :wink:

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #501 of 844
Actually I've got a quick question for you. Just wondering if this is safe. I have the Mojo "stacked" with my WA8 right now. The WA8 gets hot, and I know the Mojo has an overheat sensor (at least I think it does) but I'm just a bit worried about the heat. Do you think doing the combo like this is safe? Thanks for the help. 

Thoroughly enjoying my wee transportable set up :)

Deadly!!! Wow. You must be very happy. Awesome rig....a transportable rig no less! :wink:
I'm gonna grab the AUDEZE XC's cause I travel a lot and they are quite an amazing closed-back CAN. :wink:

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #503 of 844
Deadly!!! Wow. You must be very happy. Awesome rig....a transportable rig no less!
wink.gif

I'm gonna grab the AUDEZE XC's cause I travel a lot and they are quite an amazing closed-back CAN.
wink.gif

The WA8 was great with easier to drive headphones, but in the end didn't have enough juice to power the LCD-4 to the levels I would like properly. I would reckon it will work the XC's as they are a bit easier to drive. I ended up returning the WA8, but man did it sound good while I had it. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #504 of 844
NEW Focal headphones pairs exceptionally well with WA8. :basshead:

This is the headphone I want and is the reason I got the WA8!

What cable do you recommend in between the WA8 and Focal?

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #505 of 844
The WA8 was great with easier to drive headphones, but in the end didn't have enough juice to power the LCD-4 to the levels I would like properly. I would reckon it will work the XC's as they are a bit easier to drive. I ended up returning the WA8, but man did it sound good while I had it. 

Ah yes! You are right. Just yesterday I got my first stab with the LCD 4's. I paired it with a bryston BHA-1 headphone amp and ran 24 bit FLAC files off my AK JR. Incredible headphone, but very resistive. I was at 92% on 2nd gain setting to really open up those 4's!!! I was thinking about your pairing and I thought if the Bryston has quite a bit of its power reserve used up there is no way the WA8 can't volt up this bad boy. Man, what a power ogre!
Anyway, please let me know when you can about the LCD XC's paired with the WA8. I was thinking of grabbing both items in the near future, so let me know if it's a go... I imagine it should be.
I tried the XC's and they are the most open sounding closed back headphone I've ever heard. :)

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #506 of 844
This is the headphone I want and is the reason I got the WA8!

What cable do you recommend in between the WA8 and Focal?

We use Kimber AXIOS and Nordost Heimdall2.

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #508 of 844
Charge Tech is having a sale today on it's portable chargers, if anyone is interested. Can't post a link right now, but the Portable Power Outlet is $99.

Thank you so much for this post!  I wound up purchasing one!  I'll be trying it out during my next flight, most likely CanJam NYC!

Much appreciated.

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #510 of 844
No problem moedawg140, I know the ChargeTech unit is a nice way to get some extra hours of run time. I just wish I had waited until now before buying mine!

Yeah, I thought the MSRP was a little high, especially compared to the purchase of my non-power outlet capable Anker > 20,000mAh for around $40.  I'm pretty sure once Anker gets a hold of the technology, they will undercut even the Black Friday price of the ChargeTech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back