Woo Audio WA-8
Jan 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #512 of 844
Hello All,

I am probably going to look into placing an order so I'll receive my WA8 before the last week of February. I'll reach out to Woo Audio tomorrow to see if I can meet that deadline.  So far has anyone flown and used their WA8 on the flight?  Any issues with TSA?  Should I place the unit along with my Ether Flow together just in case they need to authenticate? My flight after the connection is roughly 3.5 hours so I should be on the tail end of the battery.  Is there a 12v lighter plug charging cable yet or appropriate voltage/amp specs available? I'll have my PM-3, Ether Flow and this amp taking up most of the space in my carry on :D .  Also, I need a recommendation for an android micro-USB to USB-B cable.

--Chris

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #513 of 844
Hello All,

I am probably going to look into placing an order so I'll receive my WA8 before the last week of February. I'll reach out to Woo Audio tomorrow to see if I can meet that deadline.  So far has anyone flown and used their WA8 on the flight?  Any issues with TSA?  Should I place the unit along with my Ether Flow together just in case they need to authenticate? My flight after the connection is roughly 3.5 hours so I should be on the tail end of the battery.  Is there a 12v lighter plug charging cable yet or appropriate voltage/amp specs available? I'll have my PM-3, Ether Flow and this amp taking up most of the space in my carry on 
biggrin.gif
.  Also, I need a recommendation for an android micro-USB to USB-B cable.

--Chris

Jack carried on 4 WA8 in his carry-on bag on an international flight to Toronto for TAVES show last year with zero issues. Not even a question on what they are. We've traveled all over the U.S. for trade shows in 2016 without any issues from TSA.

Most airlines have AC power outlet in the seat. Just use the included charger to re-charge the battery or play while charging.

Many good quality OTG cables on Amazon.

WA8 in black and space gray are next day shipping, gold color is 1 week at best.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #514 of 844
dawktah2, the WA8 gets very hot, and don't expect miraculous sound while on an airplane. The Ether Flow and PM3 (I own one) won't isolate you all that well from engine rumble and other noise on the plane. I haven't flown with my WA8 yet, but have never had any problems bringing other headphones, amps, etc. in a carry on bag.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #515 of 844
Thanks!

I've been flying with my PM-3 for almost 2 years.  I used to wear B*se but now that I have better sounding cans I'll take sound quality over noise cancellation. I don't know why but Delta seems committed to using the oldest 757 they have for my 3.5 hour flight. So no power at seat not even 12v. 

--Chris

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #516 of 844
I just personally think that you won't get much benefit using the WA8 on a flight. Maybe with custom iems, but otherwise I'd just take the WA8 to enjoy while lounging in my hotel room. If you're determined, though, the OmniCharge and ChargeTech are a few portable battery packs that can add some extra hours.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #517 of 844
I just personally think that you won't get much benefit using the WA8 on a flight. Maybe with custom iems, but otherwise I'd just take the WA8 to enjoy while lounging in my hotel room. If you're determined, though, the OmniCharge and ChargeTech are a few portable battery packs that can add some extra hours.

I've just gotten so far out of the habit of plugging headphones directly into my phone, LOL.  I've been using my HA-2 so I'll just have two amps. I use seat guru to always sit as far forward as I can on a flight.

--Chris

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #518 of 844
To my surprise. Woo Audio is not available in HK. I bought mine during a trip to Singapore. Hand carry this baby back, passing security check without problem.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #519 of 844
I've just gotten so far out of the habit of plugging headphones directly into my phone, LOL.  I've been using my HA-2 so I'll just have two amps. I use seat guru to always sit as far forward as I can on a flight.

--Chris

Yep, I hear you, I'm much the same way!I'm spoiled being able to go all over my house or relax in a recliner courtesy of my WA8.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #521 of 844
  Airplane is very noisy. I use AK380 + custom IEM from Noble Audio for music and noise isolation while on the flight. WA8 and full-size hp in hotel room.

Try this: in airplane I use my custom IEM Roxane AND on top a BOSE active isolating on hear headphone with noise cancelation activated but no sound in (cables detached).  

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #522 of 844
Try this: in airplane I use my custom IEM Roxane AND on top a BOSE active isolating on hear headphone with noise cancelation activated but no sound in (cables detached).  
I've tried this with mixed results. I imagine custom iems make it feasible. All my iems kept getting hit by the headphone driver and it was too annoying to turn my head etc.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #523 of 844
I've tried this with mixed results. I imagine custom iems make it feasible. All my iems kept getting hit by the headphone driver and it was too annoying to turn my head etc.

Having two brothers that are pilots and being a little into aviation I've learned that you "want" to hear the engine/ ambient noise...

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #525 of 844

Jack carried on 4 WA8 in his carry-on bag on an international flight to Toronto for TAVES show last year with zero issues. Not even a question on what they are. We've traveled all over the U.S. for trade shows in 2016 without any issues from TSA.

Most airlines have AC power outlet in the seat. Just use the included charger to re-charge the battery or play while charging.

Many good quality OTG cables on Amazon.

WA8 in black and space gray are next day shipping, gold color is 1 week at best.

I took a look on Amazon and didn't see an OTG micro-b to USB-B cable.  Was looking for a single cable solution. Thanks! Do you know if I can splice out the power wires to create a way to charge my phone or do the power wires still need to reach the WA8 along with the two data wires for OTG to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back