Woo Audio WA-8
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #436 of 844
I did notice that if one were to switch between 2 & 3-tube setting whilst the WA8 is on, then yes there is distortion but I don't believe that's how the switch is supposed to be used. When I had it at 3-tube, I switched off the WA8 & powered it on and no distortion.

Yup it's stated in the manual as a caution that you must turn off the amp before changing the gain (i.e. between two and three tubes). Failure to do so may not only result in distortion but may also damaged the amp.

I understand however that many people don't tend to read the manual because it seems like a straightforward amp to use.

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #437 of 844
Hmmm, I've tried the HE1K, Ethers, & LCD-4 (2015) & I couldn't hear the distortion you're referring to. I agree there wasn't enough grunt as I had the volume at max with the LCD-4 but didn't pick up any distortion (all in 3-tube setting).

I did notice that if one were to switch between 2 & 3-tube setting whilst the WA8 is on, then yes there is distortion but I don't believe that's how the switch is supposed to be used. When I had it at 3-tube, I switched off the WA8 & powered it on and no distortion.

The distortion was in the low end (percussive, really low) with the LCD-4 at high volumes. It just doesn't have enough power for them. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #438 of 844
  The distortion was in the low end (percussive, really low) with the LCD-4 at high volumes. It just doesn't have enough power for them. 

Were you on 2 or 3-tube setting? Again, I'm not disagreeing that there is not enough power but in terms of distortion, I spent a good 1.5 hrs trying different cans to hear it but couldn't. It would be a good test to see if others have hears this or not.

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #439 of 844

Were you on 2 or 3-tube setting? Again, I'm not disagreeing that there is not enough power but in terms of distortion, I spent a good 1.5 hrs trying different cans to hear it but couldn't. It would be a good test to see if others have hears this or not.

3 Tube. I tried two different WA8's and got the same result. At low volumes it was great, it just starts to break up in the low end at high volumes (over 8 on the volume knob) with bass heavy tracks. Its a shame the WA8 doesn't have more power as I definitely would have kept it if it could drive difficult headphones. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #440 of 844
3 Tube. I tried two different WA8's and got the same result. At low volumes it was great, it just starts to break up in the low end at high volumes (over 8 on the volume knob) with bass heavy tracks. Its a shame the WA8 doesn't have more power as I definitely would have kept it if it could drive difficult headphones. 
I'm not too sure why the power limitation is repeated and already agreed repetitively. For me the scope of the topic is about the distortion.

I see you managed to try two WA8s & both exhibited distortion. I have access to only one but I did ask @Currawong if he heard any distortion his WA8 but preliminary response is he didn't hear of any. I'll check with him to see if he's done more thourough listening with other cans at his disposal.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #441 of 844
I don't have LCD-4s, but when I tried them out of various amps they definitely need a high-power amp and a WA8 wouldn't cut it.  I don't see why there would be a problem with HD800s at high volumes (which I didn't try) as they require less power, not more. The HD800 S make a couple of sacrifices for their warmer sound signature and I gather one of those is increased bass distortion, which may be necessary to take into account.

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #442 of 844
  I don't have LCD-4s, but when I tried them out of various amps they definitely need a high-power amp and a WA8 wouldn't cut it.  I don't see why there would be a problem with HD800s at high volumes (which I didn't try) as they require less power, not more. The HD800 S make a couple of sacrifices for their warmer sound signature and I gather one of those is increased bass distortion, which may be necessary to take into account.

There shouldn't be any troubles with the HD800, HD800S. They are pretty easy (within reason) to drive as you know. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #443 of 844

There shouldn't be any troubles with the HD800, HD800S. They are pretty easy (within reason) to drive as you know. 

Yup, I had no trouble with my HD800s but there is no way I can see the WA8 running out of power -- if anything tube amps have plenty of voltage swing.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #444 of 844

Yup, I had no trouble with my HD800s but there is no way I can see the WA8 running out of power -- if anything tube amps have plenty of voltage swing.

I'm just trying my Fostex T50RP Mk3's. I agree the WA8 lacks the grunt but I have to disagree about hearing any distortion as I just don't hear it with the LCD4's, HE1K, T50RP Mk3s, and Ethers - maybe I'm just lucky with my loaner unit.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #445 of 844
Ufospls2 is the first to raise the issue of distortion on his WA8 I think.

I have not heard any distortion on LCD4 myself (connected to a MacBook) nor any other headphones.

In general, I find the WA8 to be perfect with any dynamic headphone or iem but falls a little short when driving planar.

The pairing with focal utopia is one that I'm waiting to hear.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #447 of 844
Mmm....is the reported distortion out of the Abyss or LCD 4 happening at 3-tube mode and at what volume setting(s)?

Audible distortion can happen if the tubes output (2 or 3 tubes) is switched without powering OFF the amplifier first. The output stage needs to reset... This is mentioned in the quick start guide included with WA8. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #448 of 844
Mmm....is the reported distortion out of the Abyss or LCD 4 happening at 3-tube mode and at what volume setting(s)?

3 tube mode. LCD-4. Over volume 8, with bass HEAVY tracks. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #450 of 844
  LH Labs geek out V2 puts out a watt of power for 300 bucks. Granted it is solid state, but it is doable. 

power ratings are not all equal... a good example is look at the power ratings on a receiver vs. high quality power amp.

That doesn't explain the reasoning for the low power output of the WA8. I'm sure there was a reason for it, I'm just curious why. 

There are many reasons. Price of the final product aside; the battery life, heat it would generate, output noise level, size of the output transformers, size and weight of the final product. Just to name a few.

WA8 was never meant to be the "end game" desktop amplifier + DAC. It is however the best sounding battery-operated tube amp on the market today. It doesn't sound like a small amp. WA8's output is so quiet, you can use any IEMs without a hit of hiss noise and still sound like a desktop amp capable of driving a wide range with full-size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back