Woo Audio WA-8
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #826 of 838
Anyone has suggestions for a great transportable transport/DAC to feed the WA8? I'm currently using the Sony ZX507 as USB transport to feed the WA8 using it's internal DAC. The Sony DAP does not have a dedicated lineout. So I'd like to get another DAP to upgrade the sound by using the DAP as transport and DAC feeding the WA8 with lineout. Anyone uses a high end DAP that improves the sound versus using the internal ESS DAC of the WA8?

May 4, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #827 of 838
Anyone has suggestions for a great transportable transport/DAC to feed the WA8? I'm currently using the Sony ZX507 as USB transport to feed the WA8 using it's internal DAC. The Sony DAP does not have a dedicated lineout. So I'd like to get another DAP to upgrade the sound by using the DAP as transport and DAC feeding the WA8 with lineout. Anyone uses a high end DAP that improves the sound versus using the internal ESS DAC of the WA8?
im planning to use Cayin N7 with dedicated line-out

May 4, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #828 of 838
im planning to use Cayin N7 with dedicated line-out
I’m in the same boat and thinking about N7 or RS8. However both are vey expensive and I’m hoping either Cayin or Hiby will come up with a transportable Dac/amp only version of those DAP more around $1k then $2-3k for their current DAP. I know it’s a wet dream but who knows, maybe Mr. Cayin will like my suggestion!

May 4, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #829 of 838
One of the best you can do in terms portable matching desktop quality is Chord Poly + Mojo 2: it's very neutral and dynamic, marrying the warm smoothness of the WA8 nicely + you can use it's onboard DSP eq to tailor things further for your headphones.

Something like a RS6/RS8 combo might be too much of a good thing with the Woo. There's a reason it's such a good combo with it's internal sabre dac - this tension of neutral/technical dac vs warmth and bloom is when the Woo sings magic.

* I have the RS6 - whilst I enjoy it's R2R density and weight, with the Woo it's sometimes too much.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #830 of 838
One of the best you can do in terms portable matching desktop quality is Chord Poly + Mojo 2: it's very neutral and dynamic, marrying the warm smoothness of the WA8 nicely + you can use it's onboard DSP eq to tailor things further for your headphones.

Something like a RS6/RS8 combo might be too much of a good thing with the Woo. There's a reason it's such a good combo with it's internal sabre dac - this tension of neutral/technical dac vs warmth and bloom is when the Woo sings magic.

* I have the RS6 - whilst I enjoy it's R2R density and weight, with the Woo it's sometimes too much.
Wow interesting info, thanks much, unfortunately I don't really like Chord's sound signature, too "digital". I had the Mojo for a while and could never convince myself that I liked it, finally sold it. I'm really into extreme smooth tube sound. So if it is sometimes "too much" for you, it might be just perfect for me! hahaha

My desktop kit is a NOS tube DAC (MHDT Orchid) feeding a desktop class A EL84 based tube amp (Unison SH) and I love the combo. Sure it's a small step down when I use the WA8 and it's ESS DAC but it's not that bad so that's why I've got high hopes that the new N7, RS8 or even RS6 might be exactly the DAC sound I'm looking for.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #832 of 838
I got a WA8 on loan this week as well. It's an amazing DAC/amp that compares very well with other desktop-class amp despite its small footprint. Has enough juice to drive the power hungry Abyss Diana TC, something even the Sony DMP Z1 can't do well. The Diana TC sounds very good with the WA8, excellent level of detail and great imaging. I used my WM1Zm2 as digital source instead of driving it into WA8 with the HP output because the DAP doesn't have enough gain.

Would highly recommend WA8 for anyone who wants a DAC/amp in one device.

Plus the gold color is beautiful.
Would you be able to tell if the wa8 can be my "portable wa7 3rd gen" for my diana v2 (and as a bonus for my monarch mk3 iem)?
Looking for something which is not a dap to drive both of them on the go / sofa / bed, so i can enjoy when im not sitting at my desk.

thank you :)

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #833 of 838
Would you be able to tell if the wa8 can be my "portable wa7 3rd gen" for my diana v2 (and as a bonus for my monarch mk3 iem)?
Looking for something which is not a dap to drive both of them on the go / sofa / bed, so i can enjoy when im not sitting at my desk.

thank you :)
It's a great match for a Diana V2 for sure. I've never tried a WA7 3rd gen so I can't offer an opinion about that. I've not tried an IEM with the WA8 either, but I can try and report back later.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #834 of 838
I have a WA8 for exactly this purpose, my IEM are Beyer Xelento, no hiss, hum, black background and love it's sound signature. I feed it from my iPhone directly and love it. When I'm at my desk I use a desktop DAC (MHDT Orchid) and it elevates the sound quality a nice bit from it's internal DAC. I have it for 2-3 years now and I don't see the day I'll part with it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #835 of 838
Hello Everybody
Happy new year!!
I have a question maybe somebody can help me.
I'm about to buy a second hand WA8 tube amp.
The DAC is not working.
I have read all the pages in this thread and I understand that is a common problem with this unit.
Does any body have an idea about how much will cost to send it to woo audio for repair?
a few people ask the same question and nobody have a clear answer.
does it worth repair it?
At the end I will use it with a Cayin N7 or Chord Mojo as a DAC.
I'm already send a message to woo audio but I'm interested to hear real user opinion on this
Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #836 of 838
Hello Everybody
Happy new year!!
The DAC is not working.
I have read all the pages in this thread and I understand that is a common problem with this unit.
Does any body have an idea about how much will cost to send it to woo audio for repair?
does it worth repair it?
I'm already send a message to woo audio but I'm interested to hear real user opinion on this
Thanks in advance.
My opinion is if you have a N7 as line out you will never use the WA8 internal ESS DAC. Your N7 DAC is way nicer. I use my WA8 as dac/amp right now but actively looking for a nicer transportable dac. I love the WA8 amp, it’s probably the best transportable amp on the market but not much talk about it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #837 of 838
Hello Everybody
Happy new year!!
The DAC is not working.
does it worth repair it?
Thanks in advance.
I had this issue when I sold mine. It was working just fine before I sold it. When it got to its new destination the DAC stopped working. I had the guy ship it to Woo Audio for repairs. The cost to repair the USB was $180 dollars. This was in September of 2022. It may be a bit more now.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #838 of 838
Hello everyone,

I got a used WA8 about two weeks ago, everything was working, DAC, AMP, both flawless. But tonight when I went to use my WA8 I noticed some odd sounds playing in the background of my music and when nothing was playing. Perhaps the DAC is dying from what I am reading online. Sounds like squeaky static or chatter. If anyone has any info on what might be happening please let me know.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back