Woo Audio WA-8
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #76 of 838

Apologies. I edited the post with proper notation for photo credit.

Thought about who owned the pics after I posted, but got them from other head-fi threads thinking it'd minimize any fallout.

Nice rig btw.

[OT]
No no, not what I meant BTW :D!! It's fine.

Not my rig, I borrowed the A2P for review. I do own the TUR-06 though.
[/OT]

But back on track, the intention of A2P with their transportable amps are different from Jack's of the WA8 - at least in my understanding of the brief conversation I had with him about this topic. The WA8 unit I heard didn't suffer from any noticeable tube ping from vibrations so I guess if one really wanted to, could walk around with it. Personally I'd use it as intended - on the coffee table whilst I'm reading magazines/iPad and doing people stalking watching in a cafe.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #77 of 838

Would rather have one with a built-in dac like the WA8 (lost some interest in the CDM after seeing its internal board) ...

What do you mean by " lost some interest in the CDM after seeing its internal board ".  What's wrong with CDM's  internals ??

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #78 of 838

What do you mean by " lost some interest in the CDM after seeing its internal board ".  What's wrong with CDM's  internals ??

AFAIK, nothing is wrong with its internals but, after keeping up with the CDM's development, the PCB design seems unusual. Fyi, I have an engineering background but I do not work as an engineer, so these are just my observations.

Couldn't see the underside in the CDM tube rolling video but it looks as though all PCB traces for the inputs have been "shoehorned" into a sliver of PCB on one side. I'm guessing it was done in the interest of heat and reduced thickness but I'm just used to seeing full width PCBs in dac/amp designs. I doubt it causes any real problems but seeing that much of the board "missing" doesn't sit well with me on a $1500 device. Maybe I just think it might too fragile in the long run if rolling tubes and replacing the battery.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rSQGsUpNg

Also, the first thing that threw me off was the 4 piece outer shell (thought it'd be 2-3 pieces). The CDM's aluminum casing is supposed to be machined from a single block (so I read) but, instead of the PCB being inserted into the casing, the casing is assembled around the PCB. Again, no big deal, just different from what I read earlier. Only hear great things about how it sounds but I guess this stuff is important to me, especially considering the price.

Still wouldn't mind having a CDM and a WA8 but it'll be interesting to see what the WA8's internals will look like......

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #79 of 838
Looks interesting!! Might be a great companion to my cdm!!

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #80 of 838
We're getting close.... Look for the production ready WA8 at CanJam@RMAF. 
biggrin.gif

https://www.audiofest.net

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #83 of 838
Sep 22, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #84 of 838
mmm.....it is actually a very elegant solution that I admire. Far portable than what I'm lugging around: the Chord TT-in-backpack-with-roller solution. Not that I'm complaining. My Chord TT  travels with me....to the beach, to the mountains, to the hills beyond the glen,  to cross the moat and reach the palace the lies beyond.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #86 of 838
  We're getting close.... Look for the production ready WA8 at CanJam@RMAF. 
biggrin.gif

https://www.audiofest.net

Is Jack keeping the daughter switch board design still? My fear is that one could lose that important tiny little switch board. A switch although less sexy is more practical.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #87 of 838

Is Jack keeping the daughter switch board design still? My fear is that one could lose that important tiny little switch board. A switch although less sexy is more practical.

We agree so that's replaced by a recessed switch. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #89 of 838
Update on price and availability?

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #90 of 838
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Hi there @fotomeow
 - interesting stuff!  was there any information there at the Woo stand about the DAC that is used in the WA8?

I think it was Mike (or Jack) of Woo who told me that the WA8 DAC is 32/384.
I believe it was a 32 bit SABRE chip they were using. Perhaps the same DAC as the WA7 Flies.
But if Mike reads this, he can correct me if I'm mistaken.

At that SF Head-Fi meet in mid-July, the WA8 actually had the DAC outside of the WA8 housing.
They were working on how exactly to optimize the DAC placement inside the unit.

I'm guessing that they really want to knock this one out of the park: the release date keeps getting pushed back, so I'm presuming they want to work out all the glitches before the release.
Though I think I saw a post last week stating that the WA8s recently began production

Users who are viewing this thread

Back