Woo Audio WA-8
May 8, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #47 of 838
Almost looks like a Portable WA7... Would i be right to asume it can drive IEMs like the WA7?

Yes, driving IEMs with an impedance as low as 8 Ohms (Sony XBA-4 & AKG K3003) is part of WA8's design.  

May 14, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #48 of 838
Mike,

Are you guys exhibiting at THE Show in Newport Beach at the end of May?
I'd really like to get another fix, I mean listen to that WA8. It sounded amazing with my HD800's at CanJam.

I went to CanJam SoCal hinking I was buying a stereo 50... Then I heard your thermionic brick and I'm trapped in upgrade purgatory
Waiting for the WA8

May 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #52 of 838
^ Your best bet is to look over the Canjam 2015 impressions. I do remember that a few people stated they listened to both. I didn't get to see the WA8 while I was there, so I hope to listen to it at the Newport show in a few days. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #53 of 838
I didn't get chance to listen to both yesterday but did hear both at CanJam and would give my vote to the Woo.... Caveat being they were/ are still in prototype mode and impressions were in noisy environments with people breathing down your neck for their turn to hear it, so it is somewhat useless to make a judgement call based on all that... Also ALO's table was out in the pavillion where it was much noisier and the Woo table was in the hotel in a much quieter room.

Even so I think the Woo rig is the first true portable amp that can replace desktop amps and it runs on a true tube circuit... I am even more certain of that after this weekend. I've never heard the Analogy Squared TU-05 though so maybe its the 2nd. But I've owned 2 different Continentals and IMHO the The CDM strikes me more as a Continental Version 4 with a robust DAC built in. I know they've done a lot more improvements to it than that with power supply engineering and I appreciate the design choices they made to keep tube rolling options open and make battery replacement easy...And they will be first to market so they will make their money. But I am saving my money and waiting.

I just think the Woo has the edge on sound quality. It's a 100% tube circuit but does NOT suffer the typical losses tube based amps usually do... No one in their right mind can say it has a rolled off low end. It is lowrider approved.

I listened to the WA6SE, the WA8 (both with HD800) and the WA5 with the Hifiman HE1000 in the WOO room and while the HE1000/ WA5 combo (A $6500 rig mind you) was better... more texture, more air and space, more refined... It wasn't by much... And I think the WA8 is dead even with the WA6SE.... Considering the WA6SE is a Head-Fi standard bearer for mid range desktop, I think the WA8 is pretty damn special.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #54 of 838
Is there already a retail price to the WA8?

I didn't get chance to listen to both yesterday but did hear both at CanJam and would give my vote to the Woo.... Caveat being they were/ are still in prototype mode and impressions were in noisy environments with people breathing down your neck for their turn to hear it, so it is somewhat useless to make a judgement call based on all that... Also ALO's table was out in the pavillion where it was much noisier and the Woo table was in the hotel in a much quieter room.

Even so I think the Woo rig is the first true portable amp that can replace desktop amps and it runs on a true tube circuit... I am even more certain of that after this weekend. I've never heard the Analogy Squared TU-05 though so maybe its the 2nd. But I've owned 2 different Continentals and IMHO the The CDM strikes me more as a Continental Version 4 with a robust DAC built in. I know they've done a lot more improvements to it than that with power supply engineering and I appreciate the design choices they made to keep tube rolling options open and make battery replacement easy...And they will be first to market so they will make their money. But I am saving my money and waiting.

I just think the Woo has the edge on sound quality. It's a 100% tube circuit but does NOT suffer the typical losses tube based amps usually do... No one in their right mind can say it has a rolled off low end. It is lowrider approved.

I listened to the WA6SE, the WA8 (both with HD800) and the WA5 with the Hifiman HE1000 in the WOO room and while the HE1000/ WA5 combo (A $6500 rig mind you) was better... more texture, more air and space, more refined... It wasn't by much... And I think the WA8 is dead even with the WA6SE.... Considering the WA6SE is a Head-Fi standard bearer for mid range desktop, I think the WA8 is pretty damn special.

Also, did you compare both (WA8 and CDM) as DAC/amps or just as standalone amps? Lastly, would you say the WA8 had a similar signature as the WA6SE which is somewhat known for its solid state-like characteristics? What was its general sound signature? 

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #55 of 838
I cannot be certain as my memory of the set ups fails me but believe both were being fed from source only iphones or tablets... so both were operating as Dac/ amps but cannot remember for certain.

As far as tone I think the WA8 is more dense... rich and weighty whereas the WA6 wasn't as punchy but seemed like it had a bit more top end air but wasn't really shining a brighter light. That could've been song/ album choice too cause I was listening to Daft Punk on the WA8 & WA5 but was listening to AC/DC and Guns and Roses on the WA6 so the nature of the music obviously drives the space. The WA5 was more illuminated and faster.... Very O P E N. A lot of that maybe the HE1000. I gather they are a very electrostatic sounding planar.

If the WA8 was anchored to the earth with a rich organic tone, the WA5 was a quicksilvery tone floating in space... The WA6 was maybe splitting the difference.
If any of that makes sense.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #56 of 838
That makes a lot of sense thanks!!

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #57 of 838
That's it? No updates? Anyone?

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #59 of 838
That's it? No updates? Anyone?

With 3 tubes selected, a very full sound. Smooth as to be expected, euphonic (this is off my TH-900s). With 2 tubes selected, a more leaner sound...more suitable for sensitive headphones. Meanwhile with IEMs, couldn't detect any hiss - very low noise floor.

It's heavy. There's a decent amount of juice being supplied to it. Definitely solidly built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back