Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla
Dec 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:
Waffling between the 3+ and Valhalla. Which has higher power output at various impedance levels?

Woo Audio 3

Power Output:  110mW @32Ω
150mW @60Ω
270mW @120Ω
330mW @300Ω
260mW @600Ω (with 6080 tube)

Pre-amp Gain: 10dB

the valhalla doesn't specify it just says

Gain: 8 (18dB)

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #47 of 62
Thanks. :). May have found the other half from the 6moons review:
"Zin is 100KΩ, Zout 20Ω. Amplification factor is 8 for a gain of 18dB. That works out to 100mW into 50Ω, 200mW into 100Ω, 500mW into 300Ω and 300mW into 600Ω."
Woo Audio 3

Power Output: 110mW @32Ω
150mW @60Ω
270mW @120Ω
330mW @300Ω
260mW @600Ω (with 6080 tube)

Pre-amp Gain: 10dB

the valhalla doesn't specify it just says

Gain: 8 (18dB)

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
. May have found the other half from the 6moons review:
"Zin is 100KΩ, Zout 20Ω. Amplification factor is 8 for a gain of 18dB. That works out to 100mW into 50Ω, 200mW into 100Ω, 500mW into 300Ω and 300mW into 600Ω."

i tried looking for it in that review actually, guess i didn't look good enough.

anyways seems for lower impedance, the woo has more power, but for higher impedance the valhalla seems to be better.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #51 of 62
I owned both TFOA and ultimately sold the wa3. It is a nice amp in its own right, but the crack is just more detailed, dynamic, and involving, even in stock form. It also scales nicely if you have the inclination to add the speed ball, film output caps, etc. down the line.

Tyll also has a nice description of the differences between these two amps in his review of the crack on innerfidelity.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:
Since we are talking about tubes, has anybody ever compare wa3 with crack (with or without speedball)? 

I have been looking for the same. Only review I have seen is at the end of this youtube video Bottlehead linked to on their website for the building of the Crack. LINK Sounds like from this that the WA3 is a bit better. One of the things I have been wondering is whether or not the WA3 has effectually the same thing the Speedball brings to the Crack already installed. If it does then the $500 price tag vs the $400 plus tax price of the Crack w/ Speedball seems really high considering the build/parts/looks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #55 of 62
It does not. WA3+ has fixed cathode resistors for both the input gain and cathode follower buffer stage, and the cathode follower output stage. I'm toying with the idea of integrating the speedball type fixed current source on the output stage right now, but the thing sounds so good already with high mu output tubes even with medium impedance phones I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble.
For those with skills, the WA3 pops right apart and there is plenty of room for upgrades....

I have been looking for the same. Only review I have seen is at the end of this youtube video Bottlehead linked to on their website for the building of the Crack. LINK Sounds like from this that the WA3 is a bit better. One of the things I have been wondering is whether or not the WA3 has effectually the same thing the Speedball brings to the Crack already installed. If it does then the $500 price tag vs the $400 plus tax price of the Crack w/ Speedball seems really high considering the build/parts/looks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #56 of 62
It does not. WA3+ has fixed cathode resistors for both the input gain and cathode follower buffer stage, and the cathode follower output stage. I'm toying with the idea of integrating the speedball type fixed current source on the output stage right now, but the thing sounds so good already with high mu output tubes even with medium impedance phones I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble.
For those with skills, the WA3 pops right apart and there is plenty of room for upgrades....

Dang well that is a knock on the WA3 considering its price. And not to mention that the Speedball upgrade is just a Camille Cascode Constant Current Source whose schematic is out there and and build is pretty simple and very cheap. Maybe I'll just have a few PCBs made up and install one into the WA3 if I get it.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:
I've read the valhalla lacks in the low bass region, which is among the most important to me. And considering the HD 650 is 300ohm, Surely a Lyr wouldn't be overkill? 

Nope, it won't be overkill. It's only $100 difference and you get a hybrid, which is a good first tube amp. 

Read the Lyr Tube Rolling thread. You can tailor it. It will cost you in tubes and you can go over the deep end. But you can really play if that's what you like. Tubes are like people. Their all different.

... and its really fun. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #59 of 62
I went back to the start and found this thread has been turned into a Lyr thread.

Theres a reason for that. I've been listening to it and rolling for a round a month solid. Well Lyr continues to surprise me.

She'll need 100+ hrs to settle in. Just like any amp actually.
She'll need tubes with 100+hrs on them before you decide you like them.
The phones will vary due to wide mechanical and structural differences. My 800's easily took 100+hrs before they were palatable.

In the end, put your ears where your mouth is and have a go at it. The Lyr won't drop too much value. They go up for a sale on the forums and are generally gone quick. I bought mine new because I couldn't catch the sales in time, even checking every day. They get snapped up quick.  There's always someone rolling a new amp. To me, that's what this evil hobby is all about. Just have fun and catch the surprises along the way. 

Yeehaw.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #60 of 62
Well said, NightFlight!  Love your great attitude about the adventure of Head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back