Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

DrHouse

100+ Head-Fier
Which would theoretically perform best with an HD 650 with optimal tubes/cables etc. ?
NB I have an SS, and am looking for a nice warm 'tube' sound.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 62

Quote:
As far as I know, the Woo 3 is decent with low-impedence cans, which is the opposite of the HD650s. I could have that completely backwards but I'd lean towards Schiit.

THanks for the input, I already am leaning towards schiit, I just would like to know more about the woo audio strengths/ weaknesses.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 62

Quote:
Which would theoretically perform best with an HD 650 with optimal tubes/cables etc. ?

Heya,

Get the Valhalla. Price & warranty for someone in the USA. Lyr is overkill, and increases your noise floor. I would even say just get the Asgard, but it seems you want a tube.

Very best,

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 62

Quote:
Heya,

Get the Valhalla. Price & warranty for someone in the USA. Lyr is overkill, and increases your noise floor. I would even say just get the Asgard, but it seems you want a tube.

Very best,

I've read the valhalla lacks in the low bass region, which is among the most important to me. And considering the HD 650 is 300ohm, Surely a Lyr wouldn't be overkill? 

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 62
Actually the WA3 is great with high impedance headphone but bad with low impedance ones. The HD600's sound glorious on them and I'm sure the HD650 does as well.

Quote:
As far as I know, the Woo 3 is decent with low-impedence cans, which is the opposite of the HD650s. I could have that completely backwards but I'd lean towards Schiit.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 62
what about the other higher end woo amps, im considering buying one in the upcoming months

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 62

Quote:
... And back to square one. :)

Haha that we are. Are you still set between these two manufacturers? If it were me I'd take the WA3 over Schiit stuff in a heartbeat. Why? Built to order (Schiit just has a factory and pumps them out), many combinations of tubes you can use (by my calculations from data on Woo's site, there are 81 combinations) so you can find the perfect sound for your cans that you like. Jack at Woo will also sell you many of the tubes that his amps can use so you don't have to go running around trying to find them.

Quote:
what about the other higher end woo amps, im considering buying one in the upcoming months

I would say that since he's asking between the WA3 and Schiit stuff he's on a relatively limited budget, nothing upwards or $500 or so. Can you comment, OP?

Quote:
Read that the woo audio 2 is superb, $1000

If I had my 'druthers I'd take the WA6SE personally, it's slightly cheaper and able to put out more power and current at all impedance levels compared to the WA2. Plus it uses "one" less tube, so tube rolling is cheaper.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 62

Quote:
Haha that we are. Are you still set between these two manufacturers? If it were me I'd take the WA3 over Schiit stuff in a heartbeat. Why? Built to order (Schiit just has a factory and pumps them out), many combinations of tubes you can use (by my calculations from data on Woo's site, there are 81 combinations) so you can find the perfect sound for your cans that you like. Jack at Woo will also sell you many of the tubes that his amps can use so you don't have to go running around trying to find them.

I would say that since he's asking between the WA3 and Schiit stuff he's on a relatively limited budget, nothing upwards or $500 or so. Can you comment, OP?

If I had my 'druthers I'd take the WA6SE personally, it's slightly cheaper and able to put out more power and current at all impedance levels compared to the WA2. Plus it uses "one" less tube, so tube rolling is cheaper.

Yeah, thats pretty much my realistic budget max. I have read very mixed comments around the asgard+not really an upgrade for me, the valhalla is apparently quite treble present, and correct me if I'm wrong grmnasasin0227, but the WA3 (for similar money) is better than the Lyr for what I'm asking for?

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 62
The WA3 is a rather neutral. The way to change this is picking warm tubes for it. I use 6N1P tubes as the driver tubes and a Tung-Sol 7236 as the power tube. This gives me a warmer sound with more midrange and smoother treble.

I don't know how good or how well either of the Schiit amps perform so I am unsure.

Another good amp is the Bottlehead Crack. It does a very good job with the beyers and Senns.

Quote:

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 62

Quote:
Yeah, thats pretty much my realistic budget max. I have read very mixed comments around the asgard+not really an upgrade for me, the valhalla is apparently quite treble present, and correct me if I'm wrong grmnasasin0227, but the WA3 (for similar money) is better than the Lyr for what I'm asking for?

Yeah, that's what I'd say. I think that because of the many combinations of tubes you can roll into the WA3 that you'll have no issues finding the tubey sound you're after. I'd personally pick the WA3 in your situation :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 62

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'd say. I think that because of the many combinations of tubes you can roll into the WA3 that you'll have no issues finding the tubey sound you're after. I'd personally pick the WA3 in your situation :)

Thanks, this is all very helpful. Can the Lyr not tube roll to the same extent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back