Why the Beats Hate?
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,967 of 2,037
I can never understand, how people can get ratty with one another, over a pair of headphones.
It's not just any headphone, it's a Beats by Dre headphone!

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,968 of 2,037
I'd take everything positive said about the new beats with a huge grain of salt, tried the solo 2 and the solo 3, both of which that are highly praised. Sounds better than solo 1 and mixr, sure. But still pretty much crap, bass is still boomy and just overall sounds a lot less refined than even the meze 99, which I personally don't like all too much but still compares favorably against any modern beats

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #1,969 of 2,037
Great, good for you

Just do it somewhere else. This thread is one place where you can let all that pent up hate out

There's a whole Beats loving world out there for you.

It's not a love for beats. No one should fan about any brand nam or anyhing for that matter. Btw I'm not a fan of beats, just recognising the solo 3 and EP sound good. Every company produces a few gems and they deserve to be recognised without unecessary irrational hate merely because of a brand name. There are many awful headphones/earphones that costs lots more from well respected companie yet no one shoots them down, bias?

That's why people should stop associating performance with price, brand name, technology of drivers, or amount of drivers. The audio world is the wild west.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,970 of 2,037
There's nothing wrong with advocating and/or being a fan of a particular brand...
We all have our favorites. Reading the last few pages, I can see that @bait oven has actually made quite a few good points. He knows that there are many super expensive headphones on the market that really aren't any better than cheaper one's. That's a wise, experienced and advantageous thing to know.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,971 of 2,037
I think people’s ears can adjust to anything that sounds decent over enough time, or what audiophiles call the “burn-in period.” I did really enjoy the Solo3 for a period of time though there are headphones that sound cleaner overall. I also loved the M-100 for a long time until I didn’t, and the same pretty much applies to any headphone I’ve tried. I still recognize that they’re solid headphones but I think our preferences change over time, especially when we start listening to new gear.

IMO our ears adjust to whatever we listen to most and that becomes our baseline.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,972 of 2,037
It's not a love for beats. No one should fan about any brand nam or anyhing for that matter. Btw I'm not a fan of beats, just recognising the solo 3 and EP sound good. Every company produces a few gems and they deserve to be recognised without unecessary irrational hate merely because of a brand name. There are many awful headphones/earphones that costs lots more from well respected companie yet no one shoots them down, bias?

That's why people should stop associating performance with price, brand name, technology of drivers, or amount of drivers. The audio world is the wild west.
The Solo3 have solid sound, although bass is elevated (which I personally enjoy). They actually measure fairly well, but what gets me is the crap build quality. Most of the listening stations have a broken pair on demo, while the Bose stations are almost always fully functional.

Marketing seems to have tamed down, so I would imagine they could start lowering prices.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,974 of 2,037
The Solo3 have solid sound, although bass is elevated (which I personally enjoy). They actually measure fairly well, but what gets me is the crap build quality. Most of the listening stations have a broken pair on demo, while the Bose stations are almost always fully functional.

Marketing seems to have tamed down, so I would imagine they could start lowering prices.

Yep most of the beats demo are broken by all the kids and teenage hooligans. I agree they are very pricey and wouldn't buy them unless they were 1/2 price or got a cheap used one. But then again, idk if there's any better headphone for basshead/bass lovers at that price or below. The only other similar priced bass head headphone that I think are decent are the Plantronic Backbeat pro 2. Beats solo have nothing on the Plantronic crazy bass lol.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #1,976 of 2,037
I think people’s ears can adjust to anything that sounds decent over enough time, or what audiophiles call the “burn-in period.” I did really enjoy the Solo3 for a period of time though there are headphones that sound cleaner overall. I also loved the M-100 for a long time until I didn’t, and the same pretty much applies to any headphone I’ve tried. I still recognize that they’re solid headphones but I think our preferences change over time, especially when we start listening to new gear.

IMO our ears adjust to whatever we listen to most and that becomes our baseline.

People can adapt to anything, not just 'decent' but also absolute crap. Thats why its important to find an objective basis for what humans actually prefer, e.g. Harman curve or Diffuse field curve. If I were to slowly introduce faeces particles into your food without you knowing, you'd never realise it. The brain is very good at adapting.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,977 of 2,037
Yep most of the beats demo are broken by all the kids and teenage hooligans. I agree they are very pricey and wouldn't buy them unless they were 1/2 price or got a cheap used one. But then again, idk if there's any better headphone for basshead/bass lovers at that price or below. The only other similar priced bass head headphone that I think are decent are the Plantronic Backbeat pro 2. Beats solo have nothing on the Plantronic crazy bass lol.
AKG Y50BT is a solid bass-forward alternative. The bass is actually deeper and better quality than the Solo3, but it's not as comfortable or as stable for the gym.

Yep, the BB Pro 2 has some legit bass!

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #1,978 of 2,037
AKG Y50BT is a solid bass-forward alternative. The bass is actually deeper and better quality than the Solo3, but it's not as comfortable or as stable for the gym.

Yep, the BB Pro 2 has some legit bass!

Yeah...gotta say I like the Y50BT better than the Solo 2's (wired) at least;

haven't heard the Solo 3's.

No comparison in value either...got the AKG's for $49 when Samsung was running a sale. Got the Solo 2's for $79 from Best Buy...gave them to my son eventually. He liked them and they held up pretty well fwiw.

People can adapt to anything, not just 'decent' but also absolute crap. Thats why its important to find an objective basis for what humans actually prefer, e.g. Harman curve or Diffuse field curve. If I were to slowly introduce faeces particles into your food without you knowing, you'd never realise it. The brain is very good at adapting.

I actually go out of my way to own cans (and amps...tube vs SS) with different sound signatures. Some align well with the Harman curve; others don't. I enjoy the variety...using them for different genres, moods, listening levels, etc.

When I'm in a basshead mood, I typically listen to Beyer DT770's or Vmoda M100's

Edit: worst headphone purchase I've made was a basshead can - JVC SZ2000...they suck!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,979 of 2,037
worst headphone purchase I've made was a basshead can - JVC SZ2000...they suck!

I had JVC HA-SZ2000's and thought they where very good at what they do. Allot of thought went in to their design, they are not just another "basshead" headphone. Very cleverly designed. They have 2 sets of drivers at each side, the bigger drivers - the one's designed to output sub bass - are actually the same size as Sennheiser HD800 drivers. I actually modded mine's, I took out the smaller 40 mm drivers so that it was just the 55 mm one's, the result was very pleasing; the soundstage was huge, the sound signature very balanced and neutral.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,980 of 2,037
I had JVC HA-SZ2000's and thought they where very good at what they do. Allot of thought went in to their design, they are not just another "basshead" headphone. Very cleverly designed. They have 2 sets of drivers at each side, the bigger drivers - the one's designed to output sub bass - are actually the same size as Sennheiser HD800 drivers. I actually modded mine's, I took out the smaller 40 mm drivers so that it was just the 55 mm one's, the result was very pleasing; the soundstage was huge, the sound signature very balanced and neutral.
Just goes to show...we all have different listening preferences....thought bass was good but that the middle were horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back