Why don't more headphones have replaceable cables?
Sep 20, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #31 of 50
I've yet to have a headphone with a detatchable cable, but definitely would love one for drumming... My hd280s always get caught on my kit, not necessarily harful but annoying, a shorter cable would be so nice.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
I've yet to have a headphone with a detatchable cable, but definitely would love one for drumming... My hd280s always get caught on my kit, not necessarily harful but annoying, a shorter cable would be so nice.

The Beyerdynamic DT100 have a detachable cable, ive heard of people using these for drumming in the past.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #33 of 50
For portable headphones I definitely prefer having detachable cables. I love the AiAiAi TMA-1's design. It's a simple, very common 3.5mm to 3.5mm non locking cable, so you don't have to buy a fancy expensive replacement cable when pretty much anything will do. It's also very useful for use with speakers in a pinch. I had to connect my laptop and TV and used the TMA-1 cable for sound as I didn't have anything else. I really wish other headphone manufacturers would do the same.

For desktop headphones, I don't mind as much if the cable isn't detachable because I don't really beat up my desktop phones, which is why I didn't mind the AD900 not having a detachable cable. Plus, if they do break I wouldn't mind opening them up and soldering a new cable on anyways.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 50
Yup, I love the cable setup on the TMA-1's. Its just one more reason that this is a great headphone. Surely an awesome headphone well worth $160.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 50

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT100 have a detachable cable, ive heard of people using these for drumming in the past.

Thanks. Now I want them. A lot :frowning2: I guess I'll say goobye to my money in advance.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #36 of 50

Quote:
I'm sorry for this:

You are the one who didn't put the headphone up and let your dog chew on it. I know, it's tough to say, but it's not the mindless puppy's fault it can't control itself.

But that's me.

Put them up higher or in a drawer away. My entire house was cleared out when my dog was a puppy.

HD518 btw

Keep in mind that my dog is very large (when she stands she is a normal person's height) even as a puppy and can open drawers (and does).  Since then she has successfully killed my DT-770s, my Sennheiser 238s, and the px100s.  Since then I've been exclusively using IEMs since for whatever reason she doesn't seem to like them but even with this my new push has been to stick to IEMs with removable cables.

At any rate, I don't really blame her and basically knew what I was in for when I adopted a puppy.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 50
Hardwired is best for SQ
No offense, but do you have any proof to back that up? Speakers have terminals inside and outside for different connections, and they have even higher requirements when it comes to power. I'm sure if it's done with proper wire gauge and resistance, and proper terminal connections it won't affect the signal.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #41 of 50
No offense, but do you have any proof to back that up? Speakers have terminals inside and outside for different connections, and they have even higher requirements when it comes to power. I'm sure if it's done with proper wire gauge and resistance, and proper terminal connections it won't affect the signal.

Logic is the proof. Fused metal conducts better than metal that's just closely pushed together.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #42 of 50
Logic is the proof. Fused metal conducts better than metal that's just closely pushed together.
Conducting is conducting. A gold plate in direct contact with a wire is going to transfer electrons just as well as a solid wire. It won't affect the signal or power transfer, if it did no companies would even have the option to use one. By that logic the power cable for your amplifier is degrading sound quality.

Edit: Obviously there are situations where directly soldering is better, but headphones aren't a sensitive application. Like industrial situations. The transfer isn't going to be bad enough to affect the amount of power or signal it is transferring. This isn't a nuclear reactor, it's a basic audio device :p.

We should probably just agree to disagree, since neither of us have measurements as proof. I get where you're coming from with hard wiring though.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #43 of 50
The voice of wisdom among all the others. Hard wired is simple and the very best for the best sound. A direct route is far better then a bunch of stuff between points A and B.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #44 of 50
The voice of wisdom among all the others. Hard wired is simple and the very best for the best sound. A direct route is far better then a bunch of stuff between points A and B.
I agree that it's the best way to do things, but personally I don't think it makes an audible difference in sound quality. I'm always afraid that I'll get my cable caught on something and break the conductor, so I prefer removable cables (unless the cable is very sturdy of course).

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #45 of 50
I agree that it's the best way to do things, but personally I don't think it makes an audible difference in sound quality. I'm always afraid that I'll get my cable caught on something and break the conductor, so I prefer removable cables (unless the cable is very sturdy of course).

The truth is I have recabled many headphones and can say from first hand experience that it the best way to do things and sounds best in my opinion.
There is a most definite difference as to wether you think it is better is a personal opinion. I guess unless you have tried it you wouldn't know. So many times wisdom would reserve a thought until they prove it by actually finding the truth by hearing it for them selves instead of just thinking it couldn't possibly be true because I don't think it makes sense.
I think alot of the new headphones have removable cables because people like something to fuss with. And others like making money off others mis conceptions. We have made things far more complicated then they need to be. Just some thoughts from someone old enough to have seen and made some mistakes of my own and see others doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back