Why do people like Grados so much?
Sep 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #136 of 196
  I love my SR225i's.  They give me an experience that other headphones simply do not give me.  The soundstage is pretty much like being on a sound stage, and the mids are to die for, especially on heavy guitar-rock.  Sure, my HE-5LE's are better overall, but Grado's are simply fun, open to a lot of modification, and very easy to drive.  It is true that I almost sold them a week after I bought them, but after adjusting the clamp tension, learning that they were designed for moderate volume, and experimenting with the best position on my ears, they are my go-to headphone.

Yep. I still have mine for the same reason.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #137 of 196
Hello all

i just purchased the grado sr125i's... broke 'em in with over 100 hours of music so they are supposedly burnt in. For then years, i had been using Sennheiser HD477 headphones - really loved them, and still do. Actually, they still sound better when i compare my favorites tunes with the grados...

Too many good things have been said about the grado's but i don't get it. I am an experienced music listener and hear the subtleties in my music. Take NIN's happiness in slavery, with grado's, i could not hear at all the sharp guitar layer at the end of the song whereas the same sound comes through very clearly on the senns... Tried other music, other bands, and same result; the senns win.

I am selling or returning my grados. The Senn have a more encompassing sound that takes me into the music; with the grados, i feel like i am outside or sitting besides the music. At first i believed it was because of the shape of the ear pad (on top of the ear for grado and around the ear for Senn) but this isn't a reason for missing sounds.

Kind of a disappointment. Music is coming straight from my pc soundcard, playing FLACs. Could a missing headphone amp be the issue?

All replies would be welcome, even the i must be insane ones

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #138 of 196
Only tried the rs1 and hp2. Prefer both on tubes. Some things sound sublime but they do not replace or compete with current flagships ive tried. Playing a rock album yeah ill reach for them...ambient or electronica, naw.

That being said the hp2 has been getting the most head time these days.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #139 of 196
  Hello all

i just purchased the grado sr125i's... broke 'em in with over 100 hours of music so they are supposedly burnt in. For then years, i had been using Sennheiser HD477 headphones - really loved them, and still do. Actually, they still sound better when i compare my favorites tunes with the grados...

Too many good things have been said about the grado's but i don't get it. I am an experienced music listener and hear the subtleties in my music. Take NIN's happiness in slavery, with grado's, i could not hear at all the sharp guitar layer at the end of the song whereas the same sound comes through very clearly on the senns... Tried other music, other bands, and same result; the senns win.

I am selling or returning my grados. The Senn have a more encompassing sound that takes me into the music; with the grados, i feel like i am outside or sitting besides the music. At first i believed it was because of the shape of the ear pad (on top of the ear for grado and around the ear for Senn) but this isn't a reason for missing sounds.

Kind of a disappointment. Music is coming straight from my pc soundcard, playing FLACs. Could a missing headphone amp be the issue?

how much would you wanna sell the sr125i's for?

i love grades. M-I-D-S!!!

i cannot fathom why anyone would dislike grados. every facet of their sound is what i look toward in a pair of cans. 

but hey. subjectivity 

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #140 of 196
an yeah grados (and magnums) truly shine on tubes...

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #141 of 196
  an yeah grados (and magnums) truly shine on tubes...

I don't think that this can be emphasized enough.  I used to really love listening to the Grado and Alessandro headphones on vintage receivers (Sansui, etc.).  While I thought the vintage receivers did a much better job than some of the typical solid state headphone amplifiers, the tube amplifiers seem to have a much better pairing with the Grados.  One doesn't need to spend big bucks on an amp either.  The Little Dot I+ and a pair of trusty upgraded tubes (about $40) + $110 or so for the LD I+ for a total of about $150 and one is set.  Of course, the DAC would need to be added into the mix.

My experience with using devices such as iPods, sound cards, etc. for input into an amp, or using directly to power the Grados isn't really too impressive.  The iPod or even the Sansa Fuze will start to really exhibit their limitations.  Personally, I feel they are better served with IEMs or ear buds in a portable situation.  Also, sound cards really leave you in the hands of what the manufacturer wanted to push out as far as options go.  I have the Asus Xonar DX and think the sound is OK.  But, not nearly as good as going through a better DAC (e.g. HeadAmp upsampling DAC) and the Little Dot I+ is quite good.  I wouldn't spend $500 more towards the DAC and amplification as one would only get a few % more out of performance, yet be $500 poorer.

Why do people like Grados so much?

Why?  For me, I think it has a lot to do with my music preferences.  Jazz, blues, female singers, etc. seem to really pair well with the Grado headphones.  Female vocals are not sibilant like I've experienced issues with at times with other brands.  Also, the Grado headphone (with the exception of the SR-325i / SR-325is) are some pretty light, and comfortable headphones.   Some will comment and say the comfort isn't good or the headphones are not comfortable.  I've found if the headband is too firm and pushing hard on my ears, I don't like the feeling either.  But, when you slowly adjust the headband pressure so it is minimal with the grip and tightness, your comfort level will improve 100%.  I've had issues with the L-Cush pads, the TTVJ Flats, etc. in the past and felt their were comfort issues.  But, those issues were resolved with slightly opening the headband for less pressure on my ears.

Being able to pinpoint the instruments with accuracy - percussion, piano, upright bass, etc. is critical for my listening and that's how the Grado captures me and pulls me into the music.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #142 of 196
grados are naturally warm. guitars are warm. jazz music is warm. it's pairings made in heaven!!

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #143 of 196
  Hello all

I think a pretty good estimate is: if you like Sennheiser, you'd have trouble with Grado.
I can support the point with the vintage receivers. They may take the edge from the treble. Good for Grados. 
But of course, a good tube amp with a high-impedance Sennheiser sounds much better :xf_eek:). 

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #144 of 196
Grados are excelent: bass is present but not overwhelming, treble is powerful but not silibant, easy to drive, pads are washable, really light and the sr60i or sr80i has a good performance/ratio although their extremely open nature doesn't suit my needs. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #145 of 196
It is just a personal preference, really.

Some people like oranges better than apples....some people like apples better.

What ever floats everybody boat.

For me personally.....I love rock and blues and guitars....and that is where the Grado's excel imo.

I mean, if you want to listen to dubstep.....move along to something else.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #146 of 196
  1)  "It is just a personal preference, really."

2)  "For me personally.....I love rock and blues and guitars....and that is where the Grado's excel imo."

3)  "I mean, if you want to listen to dubstep.....move along to something else."

1)  I agree wholeheartedly

2)  I disagree with, but that loops back to #1 I suppose. . .just my personal opinion.  There were very few songs(less than a handful out of some 70+ GB of music) I could pick the Grados on.  I listen to 85+%  rock, heavy metal, etc with the rest being a spattering of random stuff ranging anywhere from classical to techno, and everything in between.

3)  I agree wholeheartedly again. . .although I would personally add in basically every other genre of music with it  
tongue_smile.gif

Additional point. . .Grados are about the last headphone I would look at for anything related to an "all purpose" headphone.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #147 of 196
  Grados are excelent: bass is present but not overwhelming, treble is powerful but not silibant, easy to drive, pads are washable, really light and the sr60i or sr80i has a good performance/ratio although their extremely open nature doesn't suit my needs. 

That sounds like you are describing the K601's  (not the K701's)

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #148 of 196
Interesting thread/debate.  I bought a set of 80i's second hand just to see what all the fuss about and never really fell in love with them.  I could appreciate why people liked them, but they were just too harsh and in your ear for my liking.  Shortly after i picked up a 2nd hand pair of MS1's cheap which i absolutely adored, and then i discovered how dramatic a change the L-Cush pads make.  So to anybody who has tried and disliked Grados, i say try the L pads, and if its still not to your liking then try one of the Alessandro models.  To me, going back to a stock 80i now just sounds painful to the ears.

I have since moved onto the 225i which i liked, and then onto a pair of MS-Pros which i love dearly.  I still use my HD650's which i dont find veiled at all, just warm and cozy.  Popular wisdom on this forum is that Grados give you in your ear treble, while the Senneheisers are dark and veiled.  I don't really find that at all, to me they both sound gorgeous, equally detailed, and each have there own music genres they really excel in.  Interestingly for rock/metal i would always reach for the Sennheisers, and for lighter more detailed music like jazz/classical/instrumental i would reach for the Grados.

Basically that initial curiosity has led me on a path of four different Grados before i found the one for me, and i think that is the key. No matter what your preference i'm pretty sure there is something within the Grado range for everyone. And to a certain degree they can be fine tuned with different pads.   In contrast if you dont like the HD600/HD650, well then there just not for you.

Obviously for the 1% out there that like bass that makes your eyes go blurry these are not for you.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #149 of 196
I've always seen Grado as a 'music fan's headphone', rather than a 'heaphone fan's heaphone' if that makes any sense. Technically a bit primitive, build/ergonomics are questionable, but, christ, they make music come alive
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #150 of 196
MsPro is one "grado" headfone i was awestruck...transfixed with, listening to classicals.
It was paired with a Littledot Mk4 then..the realism, the timbre...clear n yet organic ...
one day i will get one for keeps. ..sold it for the next top flavor of the month then..blush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back