Why do people like Grados so much?
May 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #61 of 196

Quote:
I've always thought that matching certain headphones with certain headphone brands is such a silly thing... like matching the Grados with rock music. which rock music are we talking about? which guiter player? which guitar? which fuzz pedal? which producer? etc... the number of soundings are simply countless.

i think you meant "certain brands with certain types of music". and i totally agree. as soon as someone starts saying "brand x is good for classical and terrible for rock" or whatever, i start to lose respect. especially when people start to get really ridiculous and try to specify the "type" of rock music. "These are good for prog but not metal". Or "those are good for metal from 1982-1999, but terrible for metal after 1999." I mean, c'mon. This is getting into Monty Python absurdity territory.

May 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #62 of 196
May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #63 of 196

Quote:
i think you meant "certain brands with certain types of music". and i totally agree. as soon as someone starts saying "brand x is good for classical and terrible for rock" or whatever, i start to lose respect. especially when people start to get really ridiculous and try to specify the "type" of rock music. "These are good for prog but not metal". Or "those are good for metal from 1982-1999, but terrible for metal after 1999." I mean, c'mon. This is getting into Monty Python absurdity territory.

I agree to some extent. Going that much into specifics is absurd, no doubt. But there really is signature-genre correlation. Do you know anyone who prefers the HD800s for Metal over other cans? I certainly did not, nor have I found anyone that does. Classical, on the other hand, is always said to be incredible on the HD800s, which I agree with.

May 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #64 of 196

yes, I meant to match certain genres, sorry. fixed...

May 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #65 of 196
Must say, if it wasn't for my other love (main love is Classical) of Jazz, I probably wouldnt use my RS1's... considering they cost me that much! But if anyone can tell me of a better hp for that genre then I'll sure look into it.

I'm afraid that Grado's cant't handle very complex (big orchestral pieces for e.g) as good as certain other phones of equal or indeed lower price, but they are the best at what they do... If that makes sense..?   

May 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #66 of 196

Quote:
Must say, if it wasn't for my other love (main love is Classical) of Jazz, I probably wouldnt use my RS1's... considering they cost me that much! But if anyone can tell me of a better hp for that genre then I'll sure look into it.

I'm afraid that Grado's cant't handle very complex (big orchestral pieces for e.g) as good as certain other phones of equal or indeed lower price, but they are the best at what they do... If that makes sense..?   

I can think of a few, but they're even more expensive than your R1's
wink.gif

May 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #67 of 196
I found the rs1's to be great with jazz, they were very intimate and smooth.
I suppose they do provide a very different presentation of jazz compared to the norm, but I found it quite pleasant.

May 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #68 of 196
Do you get Marmite in the states? It's a food spread that has an extremely powerful taste. They've practically built the entire marketing of the brand around the fact that the flavour is extremely polarising. I don't see how Grado is any different. 

Again, this is another thread that I don't really 'get'. Asking someone why they love something seems a bit futile - there's no logical reason why I love Grados. I just do.

May 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #69 of 196

Quote:

Comfort: Abysmal. How anyone can wear these for hours is beyond my comprehension. My ears were hurting within 2 minutes.

Sound: Yes, they're upfront and fast with decent impact. Yes, they're energetic. But so are plenty of other headphones (hint: Denons, beyers, audiotechnicas, ultrasones). I wasn't about to compare them to Denon D7000s so I pulled out the trusty old 2000s and did some A/B. Not for a second did I prefer the sound of the Grados. They're not much faster, if at all, they don't have more energy, they don't have as much impact etc. Nothing special really. I could have done further testing, but I was worried my ears would start bleeding.

Unbelievably uncomfortable and not better for metal than many other also-energetic cans. So why are these so often praised, especially for metal? I am really curious.

Thanks

I have to disagree with you a bit. I had a pair of Denons (d2000's) that were nice.

Comfort:
Awesome. Definitely more comfortable than the Grado's but I think you're exagerating the discomfort of the Grado's a bit. At least I dont have the issues you seem to have experienced so quickly, but I've had some discomfort issues. Usually I just switch to Jumbos, turns my Grado's into Denon's
biggrin.gif

Sound:
That last part was 1/2 in jest, 1/2 serious. The reason I didnt keep the Denons was the trade off in the sound exceeded the increased comfort. My perception of the d2000 sound sig is, too polite with recessed mids. When I listen to my guitar heroes I'm not looking for polite and I didnt like the mids, but that's probably why I like the Grado's because of the forward mids. Lot's of ways around the comfort issue with Grado's, using jumbo's are one but they dampen the energy a bit and recess the mids. That is they get polite and have recessed mids, just like a Denon. At that point though the Denon probably is a better all around headphone. The Grado though can give me three different sounds, depending on which ear pads I'm using, comfies, bowls, or jumbo's. You can also tape the bowl pads as an additional tweak.

Sound wise I prefer every Grado I've ever heard to the d2000 I had, comfort wise is a different story, but again the Grado sound to my ears is so much better than the Denon sound that the comfort thing is really a non issue with me.

May 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #70 of 196

Quote:
Do you get Marmite in the states? It's a food spread that has an extremely powerful taste. They've practically built the entire marketing of the brand around the fact that the flavour is extremely polarising. I don't see how Grado is any different. 

Again, this is another thread that I don't really 'get'. Asking someone why they love something seems a bit futile - there's no logical reason why I love Grados. I just do.

I see a lot of ugly dudes who have some pretty wives and vice versa . Why? Is eargasm any different than orgasm ?
Agree that people just do love Grados as people just love AKG....End of my rant.

May 26, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #72 of 196
Anything below the sr325is is garbage IMO. I had the sr80i's and "loved" them only to justify my purchase, as soon as I wised up I shipped them off and got me some RS-2's and I really do love them as I tried them for a long time before buying them.

May 26, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #74 of 196
How do you Grado guys get over the ear-pain top end?  Do you just acclimatise?  There's no bass, no lower mids...  At least that's been my experience on the 2-3 occasions I've heard them.  I think they were SR60.

Personally I need my sound to not hurt my ears and make them close up.  I've never heard any other 'phones that pierce and sting like that other than freebie ear-buds.  If something is unlistenable on a high end source playing a well-recorded female jazz vocalist surely something's wrong.

edit: if they're cheaper where they originate then that would make any criticisms a bit over the top but they appear to be priced like a hi-fi product in the UK.  If they were £50 or less they'd be good value, but not £90.

Simon

May 26, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #75 of 196

Quote:
How do you Grado guys get over the ear-pain top end?  Do you just acclimatise?  There's no bass, no lower mids...  At least that's been my experience on the 2-3 occasions I've heard them.  I think they were SR60.

Simon

I think there is certainly a degree of acclimatising to the Grado flavour, but once you a hooked then most other phones can sound tame in comparison. Also regarding bass, the higher you go up in model the better the bass is. Grado's are definately more popular because of the great mid/treble they offer, but my Rs1i's have some of the best bass I've heard from an open hp, it's deep punchy and warm. Not the tightest I've heard but very musical.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back