Why do people buy expensive DACs?
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #61 of 132
Digital is a moving target. The good news is that $1k will get you a lot more today than it did several years ago. In the review of the Rega DAC ($995), the publisher of Tone Audio noted that it sounded very close to the Meridian he purchased 4 years ago for 15k.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #63 of 132
Lol enjoy it while it lasts... Ive spent my fair share on gear and im back to basics. Atleast you were smart and kept it around the 1k mark!

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #64 of 132
I had a disturbing experience.
I used to have a Squeezebox Classic, which sounded too dull through its RCA's.
So I went looking for DACs.
At first I tried a Meier StageDAC, which was too analytical and tonally flawed too my taste; in came a MHDT Havana; nice, but ultimately too laid back. So I got myself an Audio-GD; good tonality, but somehow a little bit mechanical; in the mean time I chanced my Squeezebox Calssic to a Squeezebox Touch without ever trying the analogue RCA-out.
Last month I sold the Audio-GD, since I nitended to buy the Rega DAC, having had a great experience with the Rega Apollo CDP.
But that is not for sale yet, so I connected the Touch RAC-outs.
Wow, that was actually great fun; compared to the Audio-GD and Havana it sounds absolutely less refined, but otoh it is much more energetic and dynamic, Rock is great fun and so is electronic music.
I have to conclude those rather expensive DACs are not really better then the Touch DAC, it is just different flavors; gain depth, loose tonality (StageDAC), gain tonality and smoothness, loose excitement (Havana), loose refinement, gain dynamics and excitement (Touch).
It also depends on he music; listen to electronic music, StageDAC is best, listen to acoustic music, get an Audio-GD or Havana, listen to Rock, the Touch is great.
So in my experience it is not really true that more expenive is better, it seems mainly a matter of different flavors.
(note; this is all on a speakerbased system, a headphone system no doubt gives other results).

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #65 of 132
I too tried out the rca output of my squeezebox touch and got really suprised about how good it sounds. 

However, when a/b-ing with my NaimDac, there was really no contest. All sounds better throuhg the Naim, the SBTouch sounds kind of muffeled in comparison.  
However - I also have a 60 dollar NOS dac, that I often prefer to the Naim beacuse of the delicate mids. Naim is, However, chief of detail, and the mids are so close to the NOS that when blind-a/b-ing I sometimes couldn't tell the difference :) 

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #66 of 132
I had zero urge to upgrade my Woo Audio 6SE (though I've been doing research on tube rolling) since I've had it for half a year. I've had my Ibasso D10 for about 2 years and haven't had much urge to upgrade til recently when I had a headphone that I felt was resolving enough to be worth the better source over getting a new headphone. Unless someone can show that I'm not sufficiently driving my headphones (w/ either the Anedio or Woo) and that my Anedio is a bad DAC, I think I'd be able to hold off on the urge to upgrade the equipment. I really seems like $1000 is a good mark for most things in headphones though.

As for headphones themselves... I don't know... I already want to hear what the Sony R10 sounds like LOL

Quote:
Lol enjoy it while it lasts... Ive spent my fair share on gear and im back to basics. Atleast you were smart and kept it around the 1k mark!

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #67 of 132
Just dont do it... :p As alot of people say.. Each to there own and everyones ears are different. I suppose i went back to my very first set of headphones. Because they wow me so much still and arent to bad with every genre. I got to the point where i was spending $400-$500 at a time and not feeling it was worth it. I definitely love my "mids" over the rest of the spectrum, akg/grado for me :)

You dont need to spend insane amounts to enjoy music :wink:

Quote:
I had zero urge to upgrade my Woo Audio 6SE (though I've been doing research on tube rolling) since I've had it for half a year. I've had my Ibasso D10 for about 2 years and haven't had much urge to upgrade til recently when I had a headphone that I felt was resolving enough to be worth the better source over getting a new headphone. Unless someone can show that I'm not sufficiently driving my headphones (w/ either the Anedio or Woo) and that my Anedio is a bad DAC, I think I'd be able to hold off on the urge to upgrade the equipment. I really seems like $1000 is a good mark for most things in headphones though.

As for headphones themselves... I don't know... I already want to hear what the Sony R10 sounds like LOL

Quote:

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #68 of 132
If you look at my review in my signature, I think you'll notice that I love mids too. I've also been spending alot too, but I sell/trade often which helps cover all the costs. As for the Sony R10, I've never spent that much in my life. There's just not that many things that cost $7000. However from all reports, the R10 seems to at least have a signature similarity to my beloved W11R. Seeing as how difficult it is to find a W11R (only 1 appeared in Yahoo Japan auctions in the last 2 years) I might have to consider the R10, but if I hear the R10 and don't consider it worth it, then I dunno.

In the case of amps and DACs though, I feel the cost paid is relatively minimal if it is reasonable compared to the long term benefits since they are equipment that don't need to be replaced.

Quote:
Just dont do it... :p As alot of people say.. Each to there own and everyones ears are different. I suppose i went back to my very first set of headphones. Because they wow me so much still and arent to bad with every genre. I got to the point where i was spending $400-$500 at a time and not feeling it was worth it. I definitely love my "mids" over the rest of the spectrum, akg/grado for me :)

You dont need to spend insane amounts to enjoy music :wink:

Quote:

Quote:

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #69 of 132
Wind, definitely let us know what you think about the Anedio.

As for the R10 being worth it, no headphone is really "worth" 7K. At the highest level of headphones, the differences are relatively subtle. It is only wise to buy something that costly if you enjoy it that much. You should definitely obtain it if you can afford it and want it. Having said that, on a value scale headphones really don't work that way.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #70 of 132
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #71 of 132
Orthos have really peaked my interested lately in addition to the Sony R10 too. I saw some people recommending Thunderpants over the ATH W1000X and Denon D7000. Looks very interesting. I wonder if they are too difficult to power for the Woo Audio 6SE. I'm going to do some searches, but if that's the case, I'd have to look pass them for awhile.

Quote:
I think the top orthos would give the R10 a serious run for its price...I guess the R10 is like a cd3k on steroids, and no matter how awesome the diaphragms can sound, it's still based on a +80yo technology that's completely obsolete compared to the newest ortho drivers IMHO.

This PDF explains it all: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/downloads/pdfs/RP_Headphones_Brochure.pdf

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #72 of 132

Orthos have really peaked my interested lately in addition to the Sony R10 too. I saw some people recommending Thunderpants over the ATH W1000X and Denon D7000. Looks very interesting. I wonder if they are too difficult to power for the Woo Audio 6SE. I'm going to do some searches, but if that's the case, I'd have to look pass them for awhile. 

The T50RP is dead easy to drive...and whatever heavily modded or within wooden enclosures, its drivers sound seriously amazing. The LCD-2 should be fairly easy too...this is a superior technology, on all accounts.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #73 of 132
I had LCD-2's with a WA6SEm and I would NOT recommend that combination.  I'd have to disagree with the previous post, at least as far as LCD-2's go - they are not necessarily easy to find an ideal playmate to amplify them.  Though 1 watt might be enough, they do much better with more headroom to spare.  I can't speak for the Fostex though.  I'm very happy with the balanced Violectric V181 with my LCD-2's now and also thought the Apex Peak Volcano was outstanding.  Other usual suspects include Audio GD ROC sa and Phoenix, as well as Meier Concerto and the Leben 300SX.  The WA6SEm sounded pretty good to me initially, yielding a very seductive midrange, especially with vocals.  But it really drops the ball at the extremes, which occurred to me as softened / rounded and a bit recessed in the highs, some of which went entirely MIA.  I thought it was the cans until I heard them with more power and realized there was WAY more potential there to be tapped.  The differences were profound and I would certainly not go back to a WA6SE with Audeze.  It's a great amp with other cans, but not with the Audeze....IMO of course.

Quote:

Quote:
I think the top orthos would give the R10 a serious run for its price...I guess the R10 is like a cd3k on steroids, and no matter how awesome the diaphragms can sound, it's still based on a +80yo technology that's completely obsolete compared to the newest ortho drivers IMHO.

This PDF explains it all: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/downloads/pdfs/RP_Headphones_Brochure.pdf

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #74 of 132
Thank you so much for the input, though that's unfortunate then...The comments on the LCD 2 sound are unattractive to my preferences though I'd rather listen to them to decide. I'm not sure about the Thunderpants signature either, but it's a closed headphone, it's ortho, and it's cheaper, so I just have to try it XD  I think I'd be happier with something like the HD800 for an open headphone and having tried it, I can't say I didn't like it.

Anyways, I expect to see the Anedio D1 and my new EML tube in a few days. I will most likely give my impressions after some time with them.

Quote:
I had LCD-2's with a WA6SEm and I would NOT recommend that combination.  I'd have to disagree with the previous post, at least as far as LCD-2's go - they are not necessarily easy to find an ideal playmate to amplify them.  Though 1 watt might be enough, they do much better with more headroom to spare.  I can't speak for the Fostex though.  I'm very happy with the balanced Violectric V181 with my LCD-2's now and also thought the Apex Peak Volcano was outstanding.  Other usual suspects include Audio GD ROC sa and Phoenix, as well as Meier Concerto and the Leben 300SX.  The WA6SEm sounded pretty good to me initially, yielding a very seductive midrange, especially with vocals.  But it really drops the ball at the extremes, which occurred to me as softened / rounded and a bit recessed in the highs, some of which went entirely MIA.  I thought it was the cans until I heard them with more power and realized there was WAY more potential there to be tapped.  The differences were profound and I would certainly not go back to a WA6SE with Audeze.  It's a great amp with other cans, but not with the Audeze....IMO of course.

Quote:

Quote:

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #75 of 132
Wind016- since you live in San Francisco you should really consider going to meets in the bay area and listening to different dacs, comparing them to your D10, etc.  It would be a much more immediate and informative way to learn about the differences/similarities between dacs at different price points.  Listening is so much more informative than reading, and also makes reading more informative imo, since you can put people's (often enthusiastic & biased) impressions of things you've heard into perspective.

My advise is to not go overboard with the dac.  I heard subtle, but reliable improvements going from a D10 to a $400 CA DacMagic, but can't say if I could pass a DBT between the DacMagic and my $1200 Lavry DA11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back