Who has found Headphone Nirvana?
Mar 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, you can't throw a dance party with headphones - it's a lonely hobby.

Maybe that's why I enjoy Headphones so much.

For the most part I am a type 'A' personality and I don't enjoy being around large groups of people. As such, I tend to be a loner (other than being around my wife all the time, but that doesn't count since she is also a type 'A' personality). I like the intimacy that headphones provide. Plus I don't dance.

You might be on to something!

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 76
i think i'm almost there with the combination of SR003/404 and HD650. The future acquisition will be mostly be out of curiosity.

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 76
I don't plan to ever "reach" anything, I'll just hop along the Way
cool.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 76
Why would any audio-headphile want to acheive nirvana? The whole point is being paranoid that somewhere someone has manufactured some new, better, more perfect sound reproduction component. Reason to want to wake up and go to work next day. Admit it we're all a little paranoid or at least marginally OCD.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by J&J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would any audio-headphile want to acheive nirvana? The whole point is being paranoid that somewhere someone has manufactured some new, better, more perfect sound reproduction component. Reason to want to wake up and go to work next day. Admit it we're all a little paranoid or at least marginally OCD.

I agree I feel that one can't be complete or able to decide the best possible setup for them self, without hearing every possible combination of headphone, amp, source, cable, mod, ect. With new products coming out every year, it's almost impossible for one to be complete. Curiosity is what keeps me going. Sure, I can be happy with what my budget will allow me, but there's always that itching desire to try what I haven't been able to get my hands on.

I mean isn't that the whole point of the hobby?

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 76
I would have to say that some people just want to keep going, but some people, like myself, just want to find the perfect sound with something they can enjoy. True I want to hear some RS-1s instead of the SR-80s I've been using, or get UE-5Cs to replace my Vibes, but right now, I would say the Grado for home V-Moda for portable set up is definitely audio nirvana for me. I couldn't be happier with the set up right now, but I need to get my own home headphones instead of continuously borrowing the SR-80s. Still, I can see myself getting some MS-1s and being happy with them. I'll be content with those two headphones for a few years, by then it will unfortunately be time for an upgrade of both portable and home headphones and sources. But until then I would say I've achieved all I want from this hobby.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfing Sharks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree I feel that one can't be complete or able to decide the best possible setup for them self, without hearing every possible combination of headphone, amp, source, cable, mod, ect. With new products coming out every year, it's almost impossible for one to be complete. Curiosity is what keeps me going. Sure, I can be happy with what my budget will allow me, but there's always that itching desire to try what I haven't been able to get my hands on.

I mean isn't that the whole point of the hobby?

I have a different view from yours. I think the point of this hobby for me is to find a headphone that I can be completely satisfied with. Something that when I pick up and place over my ears I know that there isn't any other headphone that I would rather listen to than these ones. I find that this forum has been awesome in allowing me to see what's out there, and to listen to other people's experience with their headphones. Ultimately, the exchange of this information allows people like me to be introduced to headphones that would otherwise be unrealized or not brought to the attention. Acquiring many different headphones along the way is something that is rewarding and fun and is an enjoyable part of the hobby, but the real nirvana comes from finding that special headphone that is the ONE! That's my perspective on this hobby.

From the perspective of acquiring many different headphones because we are afraid there is something out there that is better... well I just see this as a never ending journey. Something that can't be reached and will never be reached. What I want is something that is reachable. That's why my perspective on this hobby is to find Headphone Nirvana. I don't need to listen to all the headphones that are out there, because there is always something new introduced. I will know when I have found the right headphones because I will identify completely with that sound. I am still here because like others I enjoy this hobby for what it is, to share and exchange ideas and also because I know that I haven't found HP Nirvana yet. When I have reached it, I know I'll still be around because it's fun to talk about this hobby!

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #25 of 76
I'm really content with the sound I'm getting out of my system...
Ack! dAck! > HeadAmp GS-1 > MS-Pro
I've had this configuration for almost a year and a half now and to my ears the sound is nearly faultless. I've even been to a meet during that time and tried different cans (including other Grados) and amps and nothing really made me feel that my system needed upgrading, reasonably speaking. The Orpheus system was mesmorizing but that is way out of my price range.

Maybe I will be tempted by something at the upcoming International meet.
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 76
I'm satisfied but I have a feeling nirvana would be more in the range of a Omega II or Orpheus. I guess there's only 1 thing I could do, study hard, get a freaking good job and buy one of them
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 76
I'm close. I'm just looking for a nice high-end source now... SACD or Redbook (or both) are the main choices. A speaker system will be the next giant leap for me.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 76
Comparing the opinions of individuals in respect to the length of their activity here at Head-Fi is a bit interesting to me.

With that in mind, I think I'm on the right track.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #30 of 76
I think the journey to Nirvana is more important than actually getting there.

It took me about 3 years but I finally found a headphone system that I can say I'm satisfied with. Is it Nirvana? No, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to music. I've got a decent source, a good electrostatic and dynamic amp and a few headphones for different applications and music. There are headphones I'm still interested in hearing, and tweaks I can still try, but I don't feel any great need to upgrade or change for fear that I'm missing something.

It's also directly proportional to the amount of disposable income I have. If money's no object, there is a lot of stuff I would still buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back