Who has found Headphone Nirvana?
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #46 of 76
I love my current phones (My HD650s and W5000s) and have plans on getting some amps to match. Sadly, I think my state of nirvana is going to require me owning W2002s, Qualias, L3000s and UE 10 Pros.

frown.gif
I tread a hard and lonely road.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #47 of 76
i'm pretty happy with my portable rig... kinda scared to jump into a home rig since it'll be pretty costly...

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm pretty happy with my portable rig... kinda scared to jump into a home rig since it'll be pretty costly...

You already have a dt880, thats half the way
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #50 of 76
It's getting closer. I'm thoroughly happy with my cans and sources. The K-1000 and HP-2 continue to impress, as do the Planar 3 and SA8001. If I stopped here, I could be happy for years. I'm planning for the long haul with them.

Amps... not quite yet. I've been pulled off to Arizona the past few weekends and haven't had a chance to solder or work on them. But I think that once I knock off a couple tube amps, the Beta22 and DynaMight, there won't be much room left for improvement.

What scares my bank account is Team Electrostatic. I've already started salting away parts for Gilmore's electrostatic tube amp. I'll build it when I'm done with these. Should give me time to figure out which pair of Stax I want.

But the journey has been good so far. It'll take another year or two to get the gear where I want it, but I'm in no hurry.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #51 of 76
It's funny, there are very few cans I'm interested in hearing. Last time I said that, the only one on my list was the K1000 and now I own it
wink.gif
I want to hear the k340, Ergo AMT and old planars. I'll probably get some k340s and more old Staxes and orthos but hardly anything I'd call upgrades, more of an interest in old cans because that's what I like. They're fun and interesting

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #52 of 76
I think I have.

There are times I miss an expansive soundstage. I listened to a pair of K701 for a few hours and was flat-out knocked off my feet on classical and sympohonic. But then I went back and listened to the Eagles on the RS-1 and realized that nothing in the world can ever approach what these cans can do on rock and metal. And I'm quite happy with that.

I just need to find myself another pair of cans with a decent soundstage when budget allows.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #53 of 76
As mentioned earlier, it's more about the journey to Nirvana.

As long as I keep returning to head-fi, i'm sure there will be more headphones to explore and amps to listen to. It is fun to experience new equipment and hear other peoples experiences.

Keep on rockin'

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 76
I'm very satisfied.

Entech Number Cruncher D/A
Meier HeadFive
Sennheiser HD-595 (modified)

Internally damping the 595s took an already good headphone to a new place.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #56 of 76
I'm starting my day listening listening to Remedy by the Black Crowes on my DT880/600s (leather notched) and I'm pretty damn close to nirvana.

So close... too bad about the cheesey 6 foot cable. Larry, where"s my interconnect?
smily_headphones1.gif
(Good things come to those who wait.)

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #58 of 76
I'm almost there and it took me less than a year. On the list are a Tomahawk for my custom IEMs and a PS Audio GCHA for my HD600s.

And as long as Patrick82 is here, I will keep coming back. Here's my current fav quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bodybuilding workouts used to be so extreme I couldn't even scream. Afterwards I couldn't walk properly because I fell down when bending my legs. When I ate corn flakes the milk flew all over the place because I couldn't hold the spoon without shaking. Later I switched to yoghurt. Now I'm using oat meal, it is thicker.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #60 of 76
Yeah, it's called running down a beautiful country road in the early morning, when there is still fog in the low areas, and listening to a playlist of my favorite artists from an unamped nano with porta pros on.
Nirvana doesn't have to come with a $4,000 price tag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back