Who has found Headphone Nirvana?
Mar 19, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #31 of 76
i once thought that bose was the ultimate sound for headphones. then i heard the ms1. then I got to sample the 325i which i dearly miss... it pretty much was the sound i was looking for in headphones. oh how my pockets are small

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the journey to Nirvana is more important than actually getting there.

It took me about 3 years but I finally found a headphone system that I can say I'm satisfied with. Is it Nirvana? No, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to music...There are headphones I'm still interested in hearing, and tweaks I can still try, but I don't feel any great need to upgrade or change for fear that I'm missing something.

Well said.

I'm right there with you, buddy.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, you can't throw a dance party with headphones - it's a lonely hobby.

At Bonnaroo Music Festival for the last few years they have a had a wireless AKG disco, where everyone is given wireless headphones to dance around with. The result is one of the weirdest things in the world to watch (when you dont have the headphones on.)

Moral of the story, you can absolutely throw a dance party. You just need enough headphones.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 76
Happy with what I have, but after listening to some RS-1s I'd love to get a pair. Just cannot justify it right now, its mainly curorsity that causes me to buy anymore.

I can't flaw what I have atm at all.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #37 of 76
Am I happy with my rig at the moment? Yes. Am I at nirvana? No. Browsing Head-Fi gives you a bug. I will upgrade until I have the best. I am getting some 580s soon which will probably turn into some 650s eventually (if i like the senn sound) and there are definately amps/EQs/Sources that I have yet to try. I will know when I find it though.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #38 of 76
I'm completely satisfied with my current setups. dared MP5 -> MS-Pros and my portable rigs. good enough to 'get off the bus' with
rs1smile.gif

But, it's fun to check back for new stuff, and browse thru the lounge and music forums. and of course to be antagonized with some of the slowest loading pages on the entire internet. LOL
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Biggest QFT ever.

Let's face it, we're addicted to the discovery of newer and better sound, rather than to the quality of the sound itself. If we were, we'd pick any one of the stellar systems that most of us have and stick with it for the long haul. Instead, we're all busy eking out the last 5% which is basically a matter of preference anyway.

Well, maybe "we" is a bit of a generalization, but I know I am, and I'm not alone.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

It took me about 3 years but I finally found a headphone system that I can say I'm satisfied with. Is it Nirvana? No, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to music. I've got a decent source, a good electrostatic and dynamic amp and a few headphones for different applications and music. There are headphones I'm still interested in hearing, and tweaks I can still try, but I don't feel any great need to upgrade or change for fear that I'm missing something.

It's also directly proportional to the amount of disposable income I have. If money's no object, there is a lot of stuff I would still buy.

I think what you say is very true. The whole point of this hobby is to enjoy every moment of it with whatever current setup you have. If you are not enjoying each and every step of the way and always looking forward to the next best headphone on the horizon, then this shouldn't be a hobby for you.

When (or if) I reach this headphone nirvana doesn't mean I can't and won't try other headphones. It simply means that I have found the right headphone for me, and that I am happy with its sound, and anything else wouldn't add more enjoyment to the music. I would try another headphone just because I want to experience a different sound, not because I think what I have is lacking. That to me is headphone nirvana.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #41 of 76
my nirvana isn't set until i hear all (or most) of the various headphone signatures from other brands! intl' meet here i come!

but my current setup pretty much satisfies my tastes already.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my nirvana isn't set until i hear all (or most) of the various headphone signatures from other brands! intl' meet here i come!

but my current setup pretty much satisfies my tastes already.

There is a problem with that statement...since I love the headphone-woman comparison - its like saying I love my girlfriend but I still want to sleep with the entire neighborhood. If anything, I am sure your tastes will very swiftly change
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here come to that point where they no longer feel they need to upgrade or find something they feel is ultimately better than what they currently have? That they have accepted their current heaphone as what it is, maybe not the best sonically or have the most accuracy, costs a fortune, or even come close to achieving a live musical performance. It is the point where they have no desire for anything else but is completely satisfied with what they have. So if you are I would like to know what you're doing here now?
tongue.gif

I will never hit Nirvana on my budget. I would need a set up like Alex's.. I pretty decent gear. DAC1/650/701/SA5000/BADA12.. I'm just never satisfied..With a great recording I'd say I'm 75% there for 'nirvana on a budget. At times I been very impressed.. Jroc going down. The bass on my 650 is incrdible with this song..Makes my body melt.. I'm going to get a W5000, NX-33/HR-2/Cordia HA MKII.. I'm sure that will take up 10% or so..Plus I'm getting my SA5000 balanced..ADD another 5%..
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #44 of 76
I have editing nirvana already(K701)

But they suck for pleasureable listening.

Hopefully, either Senn HD-700 will be much brighter, with a low impedance model available, or I'll really like the W-5000.

Then I'll also have a pair for passive listening Nirvana.
Search over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back