Who has found Headphone Nirvana?
Mar 19, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #61 of 76
I found mine with W5000, ER-4P/s and E484. I'm pretty much done now, though the SM-IV may need a little tweak, I hate seeing my 637 gathering dust. The SM-3 will go back for some serious upgrades. The iHP-140 will get a real time clock added, and possibly a larger drive and bigger capacity battery.

Other than those brewing in the background, I'm in the search for the final symphony (7th) to complete my Mahler cycle. And the never ending hunt to further my collection of classical/ trip-hop/ world/ chill-out/ jazz red books!

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by crypt@ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iHP-140 will get a real time clock added, and possibly a larger drive and bigger capacity battery.

Do you have more information about available mods for the iHP-140?

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #63 of 76
No I don't think so. I just started a 2 months ago. I have what I call a "decent" setup. But I have not heard a quality home amp yet (want a Raptor) or an expensive dac (want a PSA DAC III). So maybe not knowing what I am missing keeps me drawn but for all I know I could be in nirvana and not know it.

I have 10,000+ (320K or lossless) songs in my computer and will I ever make a change to a nice SACD/CD source, probably not. I picked up the DV45A for $60 at BB in a demo sale. Bought 4 SACD and while I thoroughly enjoy what was shown to me I can't justify a new investment in new media. So will digital give me nirvana, I hope so.

My real problem right now is that I am upgrading my home theater to B&W 805's and will be streaming audio to them through a Rotel pre-amp or 4806 Denon. That is something I am trying to convince myself will sound as they should.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have more information about available mods for the iHP-140?

Check out: http://www.misticriver.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133
The hard drive upgrade as well as the battery upgrade were available long time ago and the real time clock as well. There are a few guides that are easy to follow to install a new hard drive or a new battery. For the realtime clock, it's a bit more complicated but the instructions are easy to follow, assuming you have your player RockBoxed.

So I don't ruin the thread, although this isn't much, my first high quality headphone was my HD280s. Back when I first got it, and listened to some of my Final Fantasy X and X-2 piano pieces in FLAC, a shock went up and down my spine and I just started shaking and quivering.
blink.gif
It was a very fun experience and I still quiver ocasionally while listening to my HD280s...wonder if I will quiver like I have a seizure or something when I have enough money for a HD650/580 modded
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a problem with that statement...since I love the headphone-woman comparison - its like saying I love my girlfriend but I still want to sleep with the entire neighborhood. If anything, I am sure your tastes will very swiftly change
wink.gif

ehehehe. but headphones can be dumped so much more easily!
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ehehehe. but headphones can be dumped so much more easily!
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

No, its about the same until you get married.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #68 of 76
“I think the journey to Nirvana is more important than actually getting there.”

I’ll have to respectfully disagree. The journey doesn’t end upon finding your ideal headphone. It changes its direction to the enjoyment of new types of music. Now my resources can be spent on music, a chair, some component racks and more music. So the objective of the journey changes but the journey continues.

Mitch

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #69 of 76
Mar 24, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #70 of 76
Don't know about Nirvana but as far as digital single ended setups go I think I have managed to build something I could enjoy for a long while. Despite lots of quality components even the badly recorded stuff is listenable. One of my long term goals has been that I could build a setup that sounds good with various genres and source materials. That I can say has been accomplished.

I'll let the pictures do the talking
very_evil_smiley.gif

athw5000qk6.jpg

Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

mpx3slamzc1.jpg

Singlepower MPX3 SLAM

ecd1xm9.jpg

Electrocompaniet ECD 1

hydralw2.jpg

Shunyata Hydra

maalis07iu5.jpg

Overview

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #71 of 76
After hating it for so long, I have found near-nirvana with the HD595, the first high-quality headphone I bought a year and a half ago. It is so damn musical and emotive, especially when compared to the K701. I feel like, for the first time since I got into this hobby, I can JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC.

Anyone out there looking for a cheap way to audio bliss, get a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (~$20) and a HD595 (~$180). That is all that is needed, at least for me.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maalis07iu5.jpg

Overview

Great clean looking, and I am sure good sounding, rig you got there!
lambda.gif

"Team Electrocompaniet"

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about Nirvana but as far as digital single ended setups go I think I have managed to build something I could enjoy for a long while. Despite lots of quality components even the badly recorded stuff is listenable. One of my long term goals has been that I could build a setup that sounds good with various genres and source materials. That I can say has been accomplished.

I'll let the pictures do the talking
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wow, that is a very sexy system.
blink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #74 of 76
Show off lator
tongue.gif

Very nice system - organized, clean and I can only imagine what it sounds like
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back