Which will you most likely go with?
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 19
I'll toss in the Fischer Eterna and Klipsch Custom 3 into the mix, both great products that can be had less than $100.

On a budget, I think you are leaving out a number of great options that are not on your list.  You may also look at the RE-ZERO over the RE0 as an option.  It functions better without an amp and offers more dynamics, flatter response, and a little better sound stage.  There are certain qualities of the note presentation of the RE0 that are a little different from the RE-ZERO that are likable, but the RE-ZERO, at least in my eyes, is a substantially better overall product, at least enough to justify the $20 price difference.

The right option all comes down to personal preference and which product out there fits your own preferences best.  I tend to shy away some from suggesting the RE0 or RE-ZERO because they have heavily controlled drivers.  It ends up making them a bit lean sounding, sometimes weak, as dynamic range and articulation pretty much needs to be forced out of them.  The benefit is a super clean note and low distortion, but it's a trade-off.  You have to want that goal to like that sound.  It's s super clean, lean sound with a direct, open presentation, but at the same time dynamics and energy are not effortless.  It's a sound you can't get with most other products out there, so it fits into a niche of the market but a likable niche.  These earphones are popular for a reason, but the sound is a little less mainstream.  I'll say the RE-ZERO is more towards mainstream than the RE0. 

I was not a fan of the RE0 personally.  I bought a set towards when they first came out.  I was quite put off by the weak presentation.  I could best describe the RE0 has sounding tiny.  It's like listening to a tiny speaker playing in your ear.  The presence just is very light with a very minimal dynamic range.  This is why people suggest pairing them with a robust amp.  Even a mild amp like the FiiO E5 isn't really enough for them.  They really benefit from a powerful amp.  The RE-ZERO offers a better presentation right out of the box, not having that tiny sound, and it works great off portable devices without any real amp need.  I actually like the RE-ZERO and see it as a good earphone.  I do see things like the Eterna and Custom 3 offering a little better presentation overall though.

I'll just say this.  The best sub $100 earphone I've used is the Custom 3.  Even if I was looking at $200 to $300 products, the Custom 3 is still there showing them a thing or two. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:

I'll just say this.  The best sub $100 earphone I've used is the Custom 3.  Even if I was looking at $200 to $300 products, the Custom 3 is still there showing them a thing or two. 

Once again i find myself in complete agreement with you , 
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 19
Ety MC5 should also be on any list of good under-$100 IEMs.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 19
The question should be - how many people voting have heard all four earphones in question? Polls are pointless for that reason alone - dozens of people here have heard the RE0, far fewer have heard the others. I myself abstained since I've not heard the EX300 but the RE0 was guaranteed to "win" from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back