Which sub 400,- (preferably) open headphone should I buy?
Oct 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tER299

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I've wanted to get some good open over-ear headphones for a while, but I'm having a hard time to figure out which one I should buy. I have an Objective 2 amp which I use to power my Hifiman RE-262's and seek to find a more analytical and neutral sound. The most important things to me are preservation of detail and soundstage, something that I absolutely loved in the Sennheiser HD800. Unfortunately, I cannot afford those cans (yet), so I'm looking for the next best thing (or should I save up for this?).

I listen mostly to post-metal and other types of fast (punk)rock, although I enjoy jazz too. From what I've read my preference will go to a AKG K701/K702/Q701, but I'm not entirely sure since I've never had the chance to hear them. Recently I've listened to the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphone and they sound really good, but I feel the soundstage is missing and there's quite a lot of bass combined with my Objective 2.

Could someone help me with this problem? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I've wanted to get some good open over-ear headphones for a while, but I'm having a hard time to figure out which one I should buy. I have an Objective 2 amp which I use to power my Hifiman RE-262's and seek to find a more analytical and neutral sound. The most important things to me are preservation of detail and soundstage, something that I absolutely loved in the Sennheiser HD800. Unfortunately, I cannot afford those cans (yet), so I'm looking for the next best thing (or should I save up for this?).

I listen mostly to post-metal and other types of fast (punk)rock, although I enjoy jazz too. From what I've read my preference will go to a AKG K701/K702/Q701, but I'm not entirely sure since I've never had the chance to hear them. Recently I've listened to the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphone and they sound really good, but I feel the soundstage is missing and there's quite a lot of bass combined with my Objective 2.

Could someone help me with this problem? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Heya,

Save up for the HD800 and get one used.

Or, consider:

Sennheiser HD598
Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 600ohm
AKG Q701
Hifiman HE-300 revision 2
AudioTechnica AD900

Very best,

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 11
Get a hifiman he300..no doubt about that..its the best phone under 400 euro..and in combo with a matrix m-stage u have a combo which can go one on one with much more expensive combos for the fraction of the costs..i know..i have that set...trust me..this combo sounds heavenly..and for 200 euros u can own mine he300..i just bought myself a he500 / darkvoice 337 combo...so i have my set for sale..i do it with pain in my heart...as i had lots of good nights with them.. :D the matrix is modded with class-a and opa 627. I am willing to bet u wont find a better sounding combo under 700 euro.maybe more .ps..the he300 and the matrix are from december 2011. The canare cable with the he300 is not used..and it comes with the big luxurious box..not the plastic thing they sell him nowadays..i bought a aftermarket cable and used that..
Good luck with ur search!

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Contact Soundmagic, or buy mine for $190 including shipping

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Agree ^^
Enjoyed my he-400 very much and the price is rather reasonable for the sound quality it provides.

Both the he300 and he400 are very good value for the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back