Which one is the best for pop music in these 3 custom : heir audio 8A, UM merlin and UM miracle?
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:
Like you, I'm looking at top-of-the-line bass heavy IEMs that can do it all (for Pop, R&B, Rap, Blues, etc,.).

I'd prefer a universal IEM so I'm kinda waiting on consensus opinions on some of the models (out or coming out soon--IE800).

It seems the AKG K3003 doesn't isolate well enough for my somewhat noisy environment. FitEar TO GO needs to come out with a bass heavy version (335?). I need more info on the Tralucent 1plus2. Aurisonic AS-2 has no G-model and so on....

On my shortlist for customs are the JH16 and Merlin so far. I've been reading about the 8.A, but I don't know....

I really need to hear some demos of customs before I'd be willing to make such a large investment. Pretty words on forums (and review sites) are tempting but no one has my ears but me. No one has my headroom but me. Plus, around here, contrasting opinions about the same earphones are abundant.

If I had a JH16 and was happy with it, I'd be fiddling with other components (source and amp).

Interestingly enough, king8888, there's a forum member whose handle (I believe) is 88king who has a Merlin and listens to Pop music. Maybe he can chime in. I believe he had a defect with his Merlin.

That's another thing that scares me. It's bad enough to go thru all the time and shipping issues of getting customs from China, but to have to send it back. I don't want to fall in love with a sound then deal with the separation (of having a loved one leave the country--sappy right?) while I worry, wait and miss it terribly.

I appreciate you comment. I have heard K3003 from my friend, he said k3003 was kind of overpriced through to it's performance.
I am still undecided for which one is the best for pop music : merlin or 8A

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 37
I've read the Merlin's bass described (by more than one reviewer) as bone-rattling and the soudstage as spacious. I'd like to hear that. But then, someone else describes the Tralucent 1Plus2 as deeper than the Merlin. I'd like to hear that also.

Some Rap and more contemporary R&B contain very deep bass notes. And I kinda like the dynamic driver 's reproduction of deep lingering bass (it's not slow, it properly lingers). It sort of reminds me of my pavement rattling car audio days.

My 535 is nice for the bulk of what I listen too (60s-thru early 90s stuff), but I don't have the portable source power that can drive it too rattle at low volume (while maintain decent sound quality). For example, my RockBox'd Sansa Clip+/FiiO E11 can make the 535 rattle kinda deep but it's not clean, the soundstage is real small, and there's no depth at all. It's fun at times though.

I may just wait and get a HifiMAN HM901 (when it comes out) and call it a day.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
I've read the Merlin's bass described (by more than one reviewer) as bone-rattling and the soudstage as spacious. I'd like to hear that. But then, someone else describes the Tralucent 1Plus2 as deeper than the Merlin. I'd like to hear that also.

Some Rap and more contemporary R&B contain very deep bass notes. And I kinda like the dynamic driver 's reproduction of deep lingering bass (it's not slow, it properly lingers). It sort of reminds me of my pavement rattling car audio days.

My 535 is nice for the bulk of what I listen too (60s-thru early 90s stuff), but I don't have the portable source power that can drive it too rattle at low volume (while maintain decent sound quality). For example, my RockBox'd Sansa Clip+/FiiO E11 can make the 535 rattle kinda deep but it's not clean, the soundstage is real small, and there's no depth at all. It's fun at times though.

I may just wait and get a HifiMAN HM901 (when it comes out) and call it a day.

some of my friends told me to get 8A but my budget is not enough yet. But when it is enough,heir audio won't offer the discount price anymore,it ends up 8A will be alot more expensive than merlin, 500usd. It's way too expensive.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
some of my friends told me to get 8A but my budget is not enough yet. But when it is enough,heir audio won't offer the discount price anymore,it ends up 8A will be alot more expensive than merlin, 500usd. It's way too expensive.

I own no CIEMs (nor have I heard any), so I can only post from an uninformed position (and I've never let that stop me, so....).

The top CIEM you have (JH16) and the one you seem to want (8.A or Merlin) probably differ more in preference than sound quality. You say you like the JH16, but  it must be lacking something because you want to save up to purchase another expensive CIEM.  You seem to be heading toward the ultimate in diminishing returns. Why?

What is your source (or sources)? What is (are) your amp(s)? Have you tried tweaking the sound by changing those? What about that new amp thingy made by JH Audio?

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
I own no CIEMs (nor have I heard any), so I can only post from an uninformed position (and I've never let that stop me, so....).

The top CIEM you have (JH16) and the one you seem to want (8.A or Merlin) probably differ more in preference than sound quality. You say you like the JH16, but  it must be lacking something because you want to save up to purchase another expensive CIEM.  You seem to be heading toward the ultimate in diminishing returns. Why?

What is your source (or sources)? What is (are) your amp(s)? Have you tried tweaking the sound by changing those? What about that new amp thingy made by JH Audio?

It's nothing wrong about JH16, it's just sometimes I felt bored with it and I need some fresh air.

My setup is sony walkman Z + arrow 3g, but sometimes I can hear the hiss from JH16 from this setup, it's really bother me a lot.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 37
I don't understand... You're not satisfied with your jh16? I think at this level of performance we're only talking of side grade, not upgrade, but I may be wrong. Jh16 are considered to be one of the best.
If you're bored with your ciem, I'd go for something with a different flavor.
Headphones, like sennheiser hd800, or a tesla, or anything high end could do the trick for you.
Just my 2 cents

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 37
and what bit rate are you using for your music?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
I don't understand... You're not satisfied with your jh16? I think at this level of performance we're only talking of side grade, not upgrade, but I may be wrong. Jh16 are considered to be one of the best.
If you're bored with your ciem, I'd go for something with a different flavor.
Headphones, like sennheiser hd800, or a tesla, or anything high end could do the trick for you.
Just my 2 cents

Like what you said, I need a side grade not an upgrade. I'm considering Merlin and 8A now, I have contacted both Heir audio and UM to get more information about these CIEMs.

I have own beyer T1 and Denon D7000. I'm always on the move, so I consider CIEM more than fullsize.
Quote:
and what bit rate are you using for your music?

mainly 320kpbs mp3

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 37
If you want a real side-grade that's worth it, I'd go for the Westone ES5. That's a significant sound signature change from the JH16. It will highlight mids very well in pop music.

But, as others have stated, don't expect a significant performance change at this range of CIEMs. What you will really get is a sound signature change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back