Which one has the best SQ? (Sansa Clip, Clip+, iPod Video, S:flo2)
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

okur

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm on the edge of deciding on a portable gear which sounds BETTER than my Cowon S9. Actually I have never had a chance to try another portable player, though a lot of people had told me to change my player to get better and natural sound.

I'm not thinking of using a portable amp with it, so the thing I request that if you could tell me which one sounds better on flat sound and adjustments. In fact, I really want to buy Sansa Clip (or Clip+ ? 'cuz some says Clip'only' sounds better with Rockbox) because of it's easy portability, but when it comes to SQ,  I can chose iPod Video regardless of this if it is better.

S:flo2 can be an option as well (maybe the best one among these in terms of SQ), though it's a big one to carry with a worse battery life (maybe the worst) and I want to get over this issue as much as costless I can.
biggrin.gif
I will use it with my AT-Ck10, hence I'm insensitive to a really really small SQ difference which can cost hundreds of dollars - at least, during these days.

I need your advices guys.
smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Seriously I'm about to consider on Sansa Clip+ though I'm not sure if it gonna be an upgrade to my S9...

Wish I had someone here could tell something who had already tried both. (or D2, Clip only etc... )

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 9
For absolute SQ in the devices mentioned in this thread, the Sflow is your choice.  BUT, for an individual like myself that listens to mostly live FLAC recordings, the lack of gapless playback on the Sflo devices greatly missed.  So, I now have a Rockboxed Fuze v2 for this purpose.  It's really a bummer that the Sflo does not have gapless playback - I'm really hoping someone can take take the helm and figure a way to Rockbox the Sflo series of devices, it would be a perfect marriage!

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Seriously I'm about to consider on Sansa Clip+ though I'm not sure if it gonna be an upgrade to my S9...

Wish I had someone here could tell something who had already tried both. (or D2, Clip only etc... )

Well they both have their weakness and strengths. The D2+ has much better battery and stronger output as the main ones. I'm not sure how rockbox works on it but it is highly customizable with it's flash skins and touch screen can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on if you like it or not. It is difficult to operate without looking at it unless you flash skin it. It does have that bass issue with low impedance phones however. The clip+ has shorter battery life but with rockbox it's not bad but not quite at the d2+ level. It has buttons, smaller screen, is pretty flat so doesn't have that bass issue the d2+ has. It does have lower output and has difficulty driving those that require more power esp at lower listening levels. They are both good it just depends on what you want or need. I've never tried the S9 so can't help you there.

Given the reviews and such about the s:flo2 I'd assume it is better but UI is supposed to not be as great but that's based on my reading. I'm sure someone who actually has tried it will come along.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 9
I had an S:FLo2 before I upgraded to my HM-801, and while the sound is definitely impressive, especially for the price, the UI is awful, and the touch screen (at least on my unit) had a mind of its own.  More headache than it's worth I think.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 9
There's been quite a few threads dealing with the same (if not, similar) question. You can search them up and get some more opinions and a better perspective.

Quote:
I'm not thinking of using a portable amp with it, so the thing I request that if you could tell me which one sounds better on flat sound and adjustments. ... I want to get over this issue as much as costless I can ... 

With this is mind I don't see any other option for you but the s:flo2. If you head on over to the s:flo2 thread you can find plenty of comparisons with the clips and other popular players (Cowons, Sonys, iPods, etc.)

Keep in mind though that it is not an iPod. You won't have colorful menus, fancy animations, and all the bells and whistles...

Quote:
UI is awful

...that this guy probably came from and seemed to miss. It's not that bad, at all. It's a simple file browsing scheme that sorts your music by Artist, Album, Songs. If you can deal with the bland file directory and decent touch screen(I have a Nexus One and don't struggle with the touch screen at all), I don't see why you should look any further. Especially since you are looking for something that is worth it in the SQ to Price category.

Just read up on impressions and see if it sounds like something you'll like. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
For absolute SQ in the devices mentioned in this thread, the Sflow is your choice.  BUT, for an individual like myself that listens to mostly live FLAC recordings, the lack of gapless playback on the Sflo devices greatly missed.  So, I now have a Rockboxed Fuze v2 for this purpose.  It's really a bummer that the Sflo does not have gapless playback - I'm really hoping someone can take take the helm and figure a way to Rockbox the Sflo series of devices, it would be a perfect marriage!

What? How doesn't it have any gapless playback format? Then what about "FLAC" and others like "WMA, OGG, AAC" etc. formats that are indicated on it's specifications on mp4nation.net? Most of my archive consists of .flac files and it's indispensable for me.
smile.gif

@rawrster

I met with a comment/review which says that "...with clip+, sound is produced closer to S9 ( which has the same SQ with D2+ IMO) which is on the dark/warmer side of the sound. Clip was more analytical and better". If it is so, I can eliminate it as well as iPod Video - I also don't want it anymore.

The other things like touchscreen, buttons etc are disregarded, but the battery life. I know Cowon is the best, though I can sacrifice some for the SQ wise. And if I didn't get you wrong, and also regarding the comment above, I eliminate the Clip and Clip+ as well. They are so cute and easy to carry, but I want a real upgrade that worth my another hundred dollar (or a little more) seperate from my S9.
rolleyes.gif

@Dev Avidon and Surreal.

I don't care about touchscreen sensitivity and UI as much as the SQ, but the battery life. It really concerns me. For instance, approximately how long does it play flac files with lowest screen-lighting and moderate sound levels such as %50 - 60 ? And is it really a heavy and a big one to carry in pocket? IMHO, I don't mind carrying my S9 with me even it is summer or winter.
smile.gif
So it seems that it's better to eliminate this restriction as well.

By the way, I had already read many threads and comments, but it's really hard to search within hundreds of page, plus I'm totally confused, so starting a new thread an easy way to have a direct idea - so all of your efforts are appreciated, thank you all.

One last inquiry; could anyone tell where exactly Sony A series (eg A845) can set among these rivals, in means of SQ of course?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back