Which of these Sennheiser?
Jul 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Yogen

New Head-Fier
First I  want to thank you for your time and knowledge hepling me, secondly:
they are all Sennheiser because physical stores here suck (live in Mexico) and I don't have paypal or a credit card I can use online, but apparently I can pay by deposit at sennheiser's mexican site.

I'd use them for listening to Heavy metal subgenres, specially thrash and death metal, so there's a lot of double bass drums, fast drums and some low growling; I also listen to a lot of post-rock.

I really like to listen to the bass (musical instrument, not overall subwoofer bass) and I don't think I have any other "specifications", just not much "woofery" bass, hate it.
Need to be as loud as possible (so I don't have to be on full volume all the time) and good sound, for the price.

I suppose most of you, as audiophiles, won't necessarily think like this, but it never hurts to prevent. I've read comments like "metal has a lot of distorsion, so what if the sound gets a bit distorted?" Yes, there's a lot of distorsion, but a different kind, and just a 2 second distorsion can ruin a song for me, although in rare cases, some songs actually sound better (specially stoner genres) with the speaker distorsion

I was thinking of spending around 80-120$ and buy a light portable pair to use on my way to school (bus and a small walk), but I'm getting my driving license soon, so I don't really need that much portability, and I raised the budget a bit to 100-170$ (they are approximates). 

The headphones I'll be listing are in the price ranges I mentioned earlier, but they are more expensive here than for people in EU or US, like 60-80$ above the decent price.

I don't know exactly what kind of headphones, these are, so I'll just call em "big" lol:

HD 419 , 429, 439, 449, 518.  
I'm guessing of the "4" series, the 449 are the best, but through my reads trying to find a heaphone to buy, I realized that sometimes 10$ or 20$ are just not really worth it. The 518 are around 20$ more than the 449, is it a good idea for ME to spend that extra?

RS 120 
Around the same price as the hd 449

HDR 170, 180, HD 518

These are the cheapest under the "audiophiles" section on sennheiser's site.

PX 200-II

These are all of them, thank you!

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 7
"big" = Circumaural (geh big word).
If I were you, I would try to save a bit to et a second hand/new pair of HD25s. Indestructible, pretty efficient and awesome for the genres you listed.

I haven't tried the ones in your list except the PX200s which were my first pair of earphones :) they did kinda okay I guess.

Good luck!

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I'm already spending a lot on any of the headphones I listed, if worth I'd be willing to buy the 518, but no more. Sadly, headphones here around 50% more than in the u.s.

And I also need a new guitar amp,a bass and an amp for the bass, so I can't just raise my budget.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Get the HD 449 its geared towards portable use(hence very light, closed and comfortable), Is a very balanced headphone that is forgiving on bad recordings. It also has some of the best mids and soundstage you can get for a closed headphone at the price range. also comes with a carrying pouch  also i have recognize that on sennheiser site they dont put the HD 449 in the audiophile list but on amazon its on their list. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 7
what about the bass? reviews says is lacking, but it always refers to teens who listen to hip hop. I don't need a damn subwoofer kind of bass that will blow my head, I want to hear the notes of the bass. Will I be able to hear the bass just fine? I once had a pair of headphones on which the bass was barely audible, but they were cheap so...

I just remembered, headphones might be a bit "harsh" on bad recordings, so, that means black metal will sound terrible through good headphones? or it just applies to 128kbps and lower music?

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
what about the bass? reviews says is lacking, but it always refers to teens who listen to hip hop. I don't need a damn subwoofer kind of bass that will blow my head, I want to hear the notes of the bass. Will I be able to hear the bass just fine? I once had a pair of headphones on which the bass was barely audible, but they were cheap so...

I just remembered, headphones might be a bit "harsh" on bad recordings, so, that means black metal will sound terrible through good headphones? or it just applies to 128kbps and lower music?

These headphone as i said before are forgiving on bad recording and your 128 kbps file will sound good, the bass is not lacking its just tight (No large "ooooomph" sound). note when some people say bass is lacking they always refer it to a bass heavy headphone (so they listen to the x500 then listen to the hd 449 and say "oh this doesnt have bass" which is not true they just dont have the hip hop hungry rumbling bass, those type of bass drown out the mids and make the songs muddy sometime. also these headphone can be modded (easy) to get more bass. so the bass argument is based on how much bass you are used to, if a had a bass heavy headphone like beats i will thing the hd 449 are super lacking but if i never had a bass heavy can before i might think the hd 449 is very bassy. understand ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back