Which of these best complement the LCD-2?
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alghazanth

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings friends! So I had a major paradigm shift and have fallen deeply in love with my LCD-2s. I'm at a loss for words right now, they are simply unbelievable and I have absolutely no idea why I hated them before. But anyways...

I own the following flagships and I'm wondering which one or two of these I should keep alongside the LCD-2 to best complement it's unique sound:

-Edition 8
-Beyer T1
-Hifiman HE500
-Sennheiser HD800
-Beyer T5p
-Denon D7000

I don't really have a use for portable cans at the moment, but I think I may in the near future. However, home listening is still more important.

Also, if anyone has IEMs to recommend to go along with them, that would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Care to elaborate on this paradigm shift? Having noted your previous posts and the fact you have some very nice cans on hand, it's of great interest to me how this complete u-turn has come about (I'm weighing up between the LCD-2 and HE-500).
popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Only you can really make that choice man. Just as you have suddenly started to love the LCD-2's after disliking them, what you find complements them well may be very different to what other people think.

What I will say, though, which is probably a no brainer, is that you should keep a bright pair of headphones to contrast the LCD-2's.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Jun 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I think the LCD2 and HD800 are pretty different sounding with neither being crappy.

Indeed, though because I find the HE500/T1/HD800 very similar I find picking one very hard, even when noticing the price difference. I'm thinking HD800 or T1 is a better complement though since they're brighter.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 11
I would have thought the logical choice would be between the two closed backs, the Ed8 or the D7000.
The LCD-2's are so transparent to surrounding ambient noise that I find there are often times that I need to be able to exclude the sounds around me.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I would have thought the logical choice would be between the two closed backs, the Ed8 or the D7000.
The LCD-2's are so transparent to surrounding ambient noise that I find there are often times that I need to be able to exclude the sounds around me.

It's not really noisy here so I don't have a need for isolation 99% of the time.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 11
The Edition 8 is small enough for portable use but i will recommend the custom IEMs for portable setup like JH13Pro/JH16Pro, ES5, UM Miracle. The universal IEMs like Sony EX1000, Westone 4, Grado GR10, JVC FX700 are recommended. I think the T1 is great but Grado cans are bright and more close to LCD-2 sound.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
The Edition 8 is small enough for portable use but i will recommend the custom IEMs for portable setup like JH13Pro/JH16Pro, ES5, UM Miracle. The universal IEMs like Sony EX1000, Westone 4, Grado GR10, JVC FX700 are recommended. I think the T1 is great but Grado cans are bright and more close to LCD-2 sound.

Err, what? The LCD2 is the polar opposite of bright.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi. I was wondering if you've managed to find a good complement to your lcd-2s. Seem like a very interesting topic, though my thoughts would be leaning towards the T1 or HD800... The lcd-2 does excellent pop, rock and other songs with a beat, but it kind of falls quite a fair bit when it comes to orchestral work. I heard that they are pretty good at it, though i never heard them before. Still enjoying my own pair of lcd-2 too much to explore. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back