Which is better? *College Student Budget*
Dec 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

scrappy34

New Head-Fier
Ive recently been doing a lot of reading about IEMs' here on these forums and I need some help picking out an IEM that can give me a hint of the audiophile's experience when listening to music. For now I am looking for something in the $30-60 price range, but I plan on working my way up to some of the higher-end IEMs' when I can afford them. I realize that I can't expect much in this price range, but I'm sure they will be better then my sub-$20 pair of earphones. 

I have very broad musical taste. I listen to a lot hip-hop and I appreciate good bass. But I also enjoy country, alternative, electronic/trance, and rock genres. So, the bass doesn't need to be the selling point, I'm just looking for something audiophile worthy that may start the addiction. 

right now I am looking at:
Brainwave M2 - $50 from amazon
Klipsch Image S4 Enhanced Bass - $50 from amazon 
Soundmagic E10 - $35 from amazon 
MEElectronics A151 - $60 from amazon 

I'm open to other suggestions, but from my research these seem to be the most popular and highest rated in my price range. I need to make a decision soon, Ive been reading for about a week now haha. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 20
maybe etymotic MC5 would be nice for you? 
they aren't especially bass heavy but the bass quality is good.
i think they are good entry level earphones :)

welcome to head-fi btw :)

sorry about your wallet :wink:

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 20
I will suggest Sony MH1C over S4 any day, but i didn't try the others before, so i can't judge on the others.
just my 2 cents.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 20
I found the M2 to have solid amounts of bass, a bit warm and laid-back, definitely a good starting point. The E10/A151 are pretty balanced and inoffensive though. Both would do fine for most of your genres as well. For sure, check out the MH1C and VC02 that were recommended. The MH1C usually gets jaws dropping, especially after I mention the price, and the VSonics I'm looking to buy as well.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 20
Well nothing beat the Sennheiser  CX-300-II below 100 bucks good bass mid high and low even sony cannot win them on comfort

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Well nothing beat the Sennheiser  CX-300-II below 100 bucks good bass mid high and low even sony cannot win them on comfort

Under 100? That's a bit of an exaggeration. A lot of stuff will beat them handily. HF5, PFE012, SE215, etc, etc. Those hit way above the CX300, not really fair. And the MH1C tips are amazingly comfortable, certainly don't remember the Senns to be that comfortable. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Under 100? That's a bit of an exaggeration. A lot of stuff will beat them handily. HF5, PFE012, SE215, etc, etc. Those hit way above the CX300, not really fair. And the MH1C tips are amazingly comfortable, certainly don't remember the Senns to be that comfortable. 
lol sorry that my country price Singapore so i guess the cx300 II is around 50 in euro and 60 in Aus

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 20
as you all probably expected, I changed my list and narrowed it down to Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition and the Soundmagic E10 .. I'm leaning towards the GR02 because it seems to be pretty popular. But I'm sure anything will sound better then my JVC Marshmellows. 

I think I'm going to try the MH1C after I purchase the GR02 or the E10. People complain the MH1C is a bit muffled, I'm not sure ill like that. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 20
+1 for the MH1C. I found the bass to be a bit overwhelming, but I'm a little bass-allergic anyway. Since you appreciate bass presence, you can't go wrong with the MH1C.

Also gonna throw the RE-0 out there, since it's $50 too (probably less bass than you'd like though).

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Just ordered the GR02 Bass edition (have not gotten then yet) Check out the "I'm Done VSonic Gr02 bass edition" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back