Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02
Aug 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
For best balance of musicality and performance for consumer grade unamped sources, my choice is e-Q7 (not e-Q5, which I believe sounds less balanced). Amped out of a great audiophile source, RE0, 262 or 272 may be better.

Really? Can you elaborate? When I auditioned both, I preferred the e-Q5 for listening, but was aware that it is a bit brighter than the e-Q7. When I got home, I tested the frequency response and noticed a bump around the 3Khz and the 5 Khz range. Does the e-Q7 sound flatter?

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Really? Can you elaborate? When I auditioned both, I preferred the e-Q5 for listening, but was aware that it is a bit brighter than the e-Q7. When I got home, I tested the frequency response and noticed a bump around the 3Khz and the 5 Khz range. Does the e-Q7 sound flatter?

No, I mean that e-Q7 is more fun sounding IMO, while remaining close to e-Q5 in frequency balance. e-Q5 is indeed more neutral in frequency response, but only slightly. e-Q7 is close in frequency balance, but is also more fun sounding to me due to bigger, punchier bass and more forward mids. e-Q7 also has better defined micro detail/texture of sounds, whereas e-Q5 is more focused on the sound as a whole. I prefer the former approach.

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
<snip>

@OP: I recommend the e-Q5 although it is not bass-heavy. one of the fastest, most detailed (CK10 beats it though) yet balanced IEMs I have heard. Bass is a little on the light side though, it's all there down to the very low end, but lacks quantity somewhat. Still has a lot more than the CK10 though haha. Has a slight bump in the 3 KHz and 5 KHz range, so sounds a little brighter, but thankfully never sibilant. Imagine it as a better version of the GR8.
Also FX700 and EX1000 have more bass and actually might be better suited for you due to more bass but both don't isolate too well (if you're going to be on the road, isolation is very important, otherwise you could just get some cheap earbuds, trust me if isolation is not up to par you won't hear any difference). actually I have problems getting a proper fit with the EX1000 at all.. don't know how one is supposed to wear them lol.
Also consider W3 and W4? W3 is fun, W4 is quite balanced across the spectrum.

I would have to disagree 100% with this... Having worn my FX700 in public earlier today, I can say that their isolation is not that bad. Sure, you can hear people talking, but I get around the same SQ as if I were laying in bed.

Also, have you actually heard the FX700 to make such statements?

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 29

Yes, I was going to say MAJ (i.e. musicaacoustics) as well.
No I'm not paid (...where did you get that idea from?). Everything I have is in my signature.

Quote:
Could you suggest where can one get e-Q7 for under 300US other then in Japan itself?
it is crazy,  by having the picture of the amp up there, you are promoting Ortofons  and arent even getting paid, arent you?
confused.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 29
SO I'm hearing E-Q7, SM3, RE272, GR07 as palpable options and that the sound isolation of HA-FX700 isn't as bad as 60% of the reviews out there? When I listen to music, I want the experience of feeling as if I'm in a concert hall listening to the band play. I also have the money right now for only one IEM.  It sounds like HA-FX700 is more a concert experience than any other phone but the problem is for commuters that it wont hold up at all in the isolation department as a open back phone( Re: |Joker| 's review of it.) I am stuck because it feels like a similar alternative to the GR07/SM3/ IE8 with better detail and instrument placement, as well as good high's and lows w/ recessed but well placed mids, and a timbre to boot. PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS PHONE, when you go out with it, do you get annoyed at the fact that you can hear other people?car noises? If you sit in a cafe or coffee shop, do you wish you had a more isolating phone, or does the FX-700 just enthrall you regardless? Does sound leak? or maybe you just leave it at home altogether. This phone is going to be the phone I listen to when my tube amps & speakers are resting, while i go out to the gym or work, or plugging into movies on the airplane. It needs to be clean, clear, wide, and give me 16 oz. of tender juicy, albeit controlled, bass. I know a lot of audiophiles out there have 3 or more IEM's, but when your going out to do whatever, and you open that drawer, what is it you reach for time and time again? Is it the HA-FX700? the SM3 v2? E-Q7? GR07? or maybe your trusty um3x? What is your daily worker?

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
I would have to disagree 100% with this... Having worn my FX700 in public earlier today, I can say that their isolation is not that bad. Sure, you can hear people talking, but I get around the same SQ as if I were laying in bed.

Also, have you actually heard the FX700 to make such statements?

No, I have to admit, I haven't heard the FX700. However (correct me if I'm wrong), I did hear the FX1000 and thought that they share the same form factor. With the FX1000, isolation was better than with the EX1000 (where I couldn't get a seal without pressing my hands to my ears), but they don't have a very deep insertion. At least with the stock tips the store had when I auditioned. Anyway, YMMV but I didn't think they fit very snugly in my ears.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 29
The FX1000 is also known as the FX500. Fit is same as FX700. I get a more snug fit with Sony Hybrid or UE single flange silicones than I do with the stock tips but the JVC's are a somewhat shallower fit than most. I also think it has more isolation than the Sony EX1000.

I use mine in my office. When listening to music, I can't hear my phone or radio that are sitting right next to me. When the music is silent, then I can hear my surroundings. One head-fier that has them for sale in the forums, is selling them b/c they isolate too much for him. He was hoping for a lot less isolation. YMMV.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 29
I've had a few decent pairs of universal IEMs to date (FX700, Monster Miles, RE-0, UM3X, e-Q7 and N3i). In fact a pair of RE-272s landed on my doorstep this morning. They're just running in at the moment, but on first impressions they may well be going back to Amp City on their 30 day moneyback guarantee. They sound pretty flat, uninvolving and lacking in drive/dynamics at the moment. Bass is pretty weak too. They'll need a complete turnaround to meet my expectations after burn-in.

The best universals (for my tastes anyway) that i've owned are the Ortofon e-Q7. They have plenty of detail, reasonable bass, decent fit/isoloation, a gorgeous/engaging midband and nice top end too. The FX700s were impressive in many ways but as a long term proposition I found them a bit boom n tizz. Loads of bottom and top with a very recessed mid. Vocals sounded too distant no matter how much EQ I applied. They were fabulously well made, but they had to go.

My Unique Melody-reshelled 1964 Quads (now with 6 drivers) are due back any day now - so perhaps the e-Q7's days are numbered. The Ortofons are a great IEM and I feel they're a little underestimated in these parts. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
I've had a few decent pairs of universal IEMs to date (FX700, Monster Miles, RE-0, UM3X, e-Q7 and N3i). In fact a pair of RE-272s landed on my doorstep this morning. They're just running in at the moment, but on first impressions they may well be going back to Amp City on their 30 day moneyback guarantee. They sound pretty flat, uninvolving and lacking in drive/dynamics at the moment. Bass is pretty weak too. They'll need a complete turnaround to meet my expectations after burn-in.

The best universals (for my tastes anyway) that i've owned are the Ortofon e-Q7. They have plenty of detail, reasonable bass, decent fit/isoloation, a gorgeous/engaging midband and nice top end too. The FX700s were impressive in many ways but as a long term proposition I found them a bit boom n tizz. Loads of bottom and top with a very recessed mid. Vocals sounded too distant no matter how much EQ I applied. They were fabulously well made, but they had to go.

My Unique Melody-reshelled 1964 Quads (now with 6 drivers) are due back any day now - so perhaps the e-Q7's days are numbered. The Ortofons are a great IEM and I feel they're a little underestimated in these parts. 

+ 1 E-Q7,  Ortofons are my absolute favorites for classical and instrumental genres  ever since I got them. They are not so often remembered on this forum anymore but they are as amazing as ever!

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
SO I'm hearing E-Q7, SM3, RE272, GR07 as palpable options and that the sound isolation of HA-FX700 isn't as bad as 60% of the reviews out there? When I listen to music, I want the experience of feeling as if I'm in a concert hall listening to the band play. I also have the money right now for only one IEM.  It sounds like HA-FX700 is more a concert experience than any other phone but the problem is for commuters that it wont hold up at all in the isolation department as a open back phone( Re: |Joker| 's review of it.) I am stuck because it feels like a similar alternative to the GR07/SM3/ IE8 with better detail and instrument placement, as well as good high's and lows w/ recessed but well placed mids, and a timbre to boot. PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS PHONE, when you go out with it, do you get annoyed at the fact that you can hear other people?car noises? If you sit in a cafe or coffee shop, do you wish you had a more isolating phone, or does the FX-700 just enthrall you regardless? Does sound leak? or maybe you just leave it at home altogether. This phone is going to be the phone I listen to when my tube amps & speakers are resting, while i go out to the gym or work, or plugging into movies on the airplane. It needs to be clean, clear, wide, and give me 16 oz. of tender juicy, albeit controlled, bass. I know a lot of audiophiles out there have 3 or more IEM's, but when your going out to do whatever, and you open that drawer, what is it you reach for time and time again? Is it the HA-FX700? the SM3 v2? E-Q7? GR07? or maybe your trusty um3x? What is your daily worker?

FX700 sounds great to me even on the subway. The isolation on this IEM is perfectly adequate for general portable use IMO. I highly recommend it. And yes, to my ears FX700 has better detail than SM3 and IE8 and the vast majority of IEMs I tried.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 29
This post could help you having a base for the quality of these not huge famous brand porducts :

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566666/if-you-really-like-the-fx67-is-there-an-obvious-upgrade-to-buy

Just a look ( see my words a the last post, really a good advice to me then)

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #28 of 29

[size=medium]

[size=medium]
Thank you to all Head-fi'ers for helping with my dilemna. 

Hearing your reviews and ideas the EQ-7, HA-FX700, and SM3 V2 seem like the pool I am swimming in right now. I am also adding the little known contender/ back-bencher J-Phonic K2 SP to the mix for the reason that they use the 2Max drivers in a universal design and don't seem to favour any frequency, except maybe for slightly forward mids. Unfortunately however there are only two reviews I have been able to find. The 1964-T also came up as an option but with moulds and shipping I think I better stick to top tier universals until I'm really accumstomed to the territory.

Sinth: I am sure the SE535 are fantastic and my ears are just too green to realize it. 

HiFi Wigwamer: your explication is top-notch and makes my job a lot easier hearing your experience with those IEM's. The comment on the FX700's definetly gives me something to think about, as having an unbalanced phone for your only reference might not be the best IMHO. 

Tyrael: GR07 is a great alternative and might end up as my backup IEM a little ways down the line

Fenshel, Shotgunshane, and mastershake 2393 thank you for your clarification or the HA-fx700 that I was after, it really helps in my decision making

Pianist: EQ-7 seems like it's kind of a 'can't go wrong and hit's all the necessary caterogies with verve' kind of a phone. very tempting

Why did I start this thread? Now I just want 3 different IEM's!! hahah

Thanks again and I will try to reach a decision, while you all have given me much to ponder in terms of balance

From Montreal, MERCI MON AMIS!
[/size]

[/size]

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #29 of 29
If you want a sneak peek of the JVC sound, try the new JVC-FXT90, great timbre(natural and added warmth to instruments), WIDE soundstage, good bass extensions on both ends(gets better with burn-in), bass impact, treble is not sharp and rather non-fatigue, in fact it tames some of the treble on some of my more sibilant recordings! Pretty detailed enough for me, not as much as my RE0 but certainly not far behind, isolation is pretty gd for my portable use and u can even use them straight down or over-the-ears. Their even price friendly now.. :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back