Which high-end for trance?
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fud4ever

New Head-Fier
Looking for a high-end set of cans that would be optimal for the trance genre. I have no budget, looking to spend a minimum of $800, but would like to see suggestions in the thousands. Some cans that i remember but havent looked too far into are audeze lcd2 and lcd3 and ultrasones signature pro.

Any tips? closed or open is not an issue atm. The hp's should have deep accurate bass and godly vocals. Oh and they will not be leaving the house. thanks!

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 25
I would say snag a pair of d7k's while you can still get them. Well under budget and would well for your budget.

gL!!

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 25
New line coming out. Maybe you missed the ridiculously massive thread 
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 25
I know that Ultrasone's are great for trance. Maybe check out the signature pro's and the edition 8's

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 25
i find the following good for trance

lcd2
denon dx00 series
ultrasone hfi series
pro2400
pro900
ed8
sig-- meh, just get an ultrasone!

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 25
Ultrasone Pro2900 gets my vote. I don't see the need to spend in the thousands if you don't need to.

The quickest summary I can give of them: they're the first bassy (to any degree) headphone that has a soundstage of any sort (and they actually happen to have a very good soundstage) that I can throw on after 6+ hours of ESP immersion and not immediately think "god, this is so muddy/slow/harsh/etched/bloated/boomy/bloomy/bloody terrible." They're also the first (and thus far only) Ultrasone (that I have tried or owned) that don't sound as messed up as they measure (I have not tried or owned the Pro900 though). They sound great imho.

They also do rock'n'roll pretty well too. I really like'em.

The Sony MDR-SA5000 is also pretty good, less bass though (good quality and impact, just not lots of volume). Would be a good choice if S-LOGIC doesn't work for you.

Closed-can land, the Kenwood KH-K1000 are still my pick in that genre. For anything. Really nice with trance, for basically the exact opposite reasons of the 2900.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 25
I really dug trance 10 years ago but it sounds pretty lame repeating these days..

That said, I did a short comparison with my LCD-2, KH-K1000 and Q40 using some old classics and fresh tracks from random "best of" collections.

- LCD-2 doesn't "do" it for me. Certainly excellent quality, but lacking bass kick and I don't even prefer large soundstage for trance, too airy/wide sound just distracts me from the fun. People mastering trance think moar reverb the better??

- Q40 is fun basswise, but the sound is reallly boxed in and quality is what you pay for..

- KH-K1000 is certainly the best to me for trance. Good quality, good bass kick and "closed" enough sound.

Too long since I've owned Dx000 to memorize the performance, I don't think I even played trance once on them. I'd definitely be interested in hearing SigPros..

YMMV and of course you need days to acclimatise to a different sound signatures. I'm sure I would happily listen to trance with LCD-2. 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 25
to clarify a bit: I already have a pair of pro 900s. overall the sound is awesome. I dislike the recessed mids and the fact that my ears sit against the driver which starts to hurt after a short while. Im looking for a king hp. Needs to excell in instrument separation and clarity, bass extention, vocals, and comfort. Im leaning towards the new denon 7100s atm but am open to any suggestions that meet those criteria

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 25
to clarify a bit: I already have a pair of pro 900s. overall the sound is awesome. I dislike the recessed mids and the fact that my ears sit against the driver which starts to hurt after a short while. Im looking for a king hp. Needs to excell in instrument separation and clarity, bass extention, vocals, and comfort. Im leaning towards the new denon 7100s atm but am open to any suggestions that meet those criteria

Nobody knows what the 7100 sound like.

Stats will defeat the Ultrasones in all of the categories you've listed, but will not have the bass womp that the Ultrasones have. I should add that nothing I've yet tried will give you Ultrasone bass and resolve like a 'stat or fancy-pants open dynamic. The Pro2900 are a balance between both, but I'm guessing they would not be a huge upgrade for you (since you have the 900; I know there's a comparison thread somewhere).

Maybe just try some 'stats then? Trance/electronica is still enjoyable with a wall of bass, you might like it.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 25
I have not tried all the headphones but AH-D 7000s are cool with trance. Goa from the late 1990s in vinyl format.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 25
I knew a bit for this genre,
High-end cans usually reveal a lot more detail & less bass punch (balanced sound), not really appropriate cans to go with trance music. Be sure you go with DJ phones which has dark, punchy bass, attenuated trebles & mid such as AIAIAI TMA1 designed for trance from scratch, popular Sennheiser HD25-1 ii / amperior, AKG K181DJ / K518LE, Audio Technica Pro700Mk2 , Shure SRH750DJ / 550DJ, fashion VModa M80, etc.

If you go with high-end audiophile cans like HD800 for trances I bet your ears will be pierced by its trebles and lack of bass  punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back