Which headphones have the most BASS?
Sep 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 87
Get some good speakers... Headphones will never give you that awesome body shaking bass.  Some will come close and rattle your teeth, but after a certain point a dedicated speaker setup might be cheaper.  Last time I checked Ultrasones are pretty much at the top for bass... Good luck.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 87

Quote:
Get some good speakers(if you don't live in apartments)... Headphones will never give you that awesome body shaking bass.  Some will come close and rattle your teeth, but after a certain point a dedicated speaker setup might be cheaper.  Last time I checked Ultrasones are pretty much at the top for bass... Good luck.

Edited that for you. God I hate my neighbor.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 87
I remember a Dj dude was THUMPING his bass heavy dance music at 3:00AM next door to my town home...Effectively awaking my entire family...I just told him to use a headphone after almost kicking in his door...problem fixed.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 87
I hear that.  I used to have a Cerwin Vega system with 4 floor standing dual 15"s, horn tweeters, and an 18" sub with Crown amps.  It soothed my needs perfectly but got my ass into a lot of trouble.  I'm moving back to the city and plan to be for a long time so I can't even consider something like that for a while, or any subwoofer in the home for that matter.  That's my compromise though :)

About the club sound, I'm referring to high quality clubs, the sound systems in them typically cost more than a large house and are absolutely magnificent.  I guess that makes me crazy though to think I could maybe get something like that in a headphone, but hey one can explore :D  As a headphone newb when you see headphones costing thousands for something that you put on your head it's easy to expect miracles.

I think you guys are spot on though, I need loudspeakers, subwoofers, and acoustics.  I'm asking too much of headphones.  I do want to protect my hearing that is extremely important, another reason that I seek headphones with GREAT bass impact, because for the time being it seems like I have to crank them really high to feel the bass and enjoy them.  Which I need to stop doing immediately.

I actually just put some earplugs in my ears and turned the cans up really loud, it's so much more relaxing and I can feel more bass. 

OK so lets say I'll make some compromise.  What are the top 3-5 bassiest headphones period.  Appreciate all your guys input.  :D

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 87
Quote:

I have the Ultrasone PRO 900s on the way and if those don't impress me, what will?

I will try the XB-700s just for kicks, so lets pretend those have the bass us bassheads are looking for, what would be the audiophile equivalent, since I don't expect those to be up to par in the rest of the spectrum.

If Pro 900's don't do it for you, I've got one last trick up my sleeve you can try. But unfortunately, it is an IEM...

XB700's can't touch Pro 900's impact. I wouldn't even bother with those. They've got droning bass, with not very much slam, unlike the Pro 900.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a headphone newb when you see headphones costing thousands for something that you put on your head it's easy to expect miracles.

A slightly off-topic comment, but just as a quick heads-up, people spend thousands on their headphone setups for detail, not bass.

If you want bass, you should opt for one of the headphones shared in this thread.  The Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990 get significantly higher marks than the Sony MDR-XB700, but are also 2-3 times the price.  The Ultrasone Pro 900 is another good option but are even more expensive than the Beyerdynamics.

Glad to hear you're going to be a good neighborhor and refrain from speakers and bass when living close to strangers :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 87
My LA7000's have amazing bass, very deep and impactful. Infected Mushroom's 'Cities of the Future' sounds incredible.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 87
anything under $350 will not give you bass.

Denon AH-D2000 is less than $350 and definitely has good bass response, the Sony XB's also do a good job.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 87
The AKG K340 (discontinued, but available used) is the bassiest headphone that I've ever heard to date. There are 2 versions of it though, make sure to get the bassy version. It also needs an appropriate amp to drive it (as it's spec'd at 400 Ohms).

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 87

Quote:
Denon AH-D2000 is less than $350 and definitely has good bass response, the Sony XB's also do a good job.

XB sounds like their pads, squishy.

And Denon aren't bassy headphones. They are Balanced on the point neutral.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #27 of 87
Some of the ultrasones like the 580 and 780 have great bass

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 87
dx1000 is not cheap, but bass is big. Very big.

based on the clubbing-reference maybe hfi-780 will give you what you're after for less $ - sound sig seems more fast/sharp (dx1000 a tad more laid back). I don't know how hfi-780 compares to other ultrasone models, but i had the hfi-780 and thought bass was very impactful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back