Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Nov 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #256 of 502

What was your conclusion? I'm looking to switch from my V-moda M100s to something more comfortable and I was in love with the comfort of my old Sennheisers, but the X2s are probably closer to my preferred sound signature

Do you have the XL pads on your M100s?

For me the comfort level vastly improved with them although they did make my ears a little warm sometimes.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #263 of 502
Currently using HE-400i's. I have tried 598's, VModa M100's, and DT770's and like the 400i the best for positional cues. (Sound quality wise I knew it was going to be better but I'm going for surround accuracy as well). I also hear things with the 400i, both musically and in sound effects, that I did not hear before with the other 'phones. I love these cans. (So why do I want to get in on the TH-X00 drop, I ask myself? I don't know.)

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #264 of 502
Use Sony CD 3000 for racing in particular but also in general. Also use Focal Elear and sometimes DX 1000 for gaming. Also use the headphones on my oculus rift and my yamaha eph-100 for the HTC Vive.

LCD-2 I don´t use to often mostly due to the weight.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #265 of 502
I'm currently using Astro A40 headphones but have been shown how much your buying into marketing with those and am actually here to find much better gaming headphones as recommended by a co-worker. I've always had a love for music but just didn't know that this community existed... 

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #266 of 502
I've gone through several headphones over the years for gaming, mostly from Sennheiser.

PC350 -> PC360 -> HD598 -> Beyerdynamic dt990 -> HD598SE -> HD800 -> Fostex TH-600 -> Philips fidelio x2 -> previous HD598SE -> current HD650.
Was a  PC363D in there somewhere too for some reason.

After enjoying the PC350 as much as I did, every time I wanted an upgrade/side grade, I wanted something as similar in feel as possible. Once I got to the 598 I stopped for a heck of a long time. Fell in love with those. I also purchased some dt990s during this time too, just to try a different type of headphone out. I found that I also really loved those but ended up putting my 598s back on just for their comfort. After a while though the left ear started buzzing at certain frequencies or something so the DT990s went back on until I saw an offer on some newly released black 598s.

Was back in headphone heaven with no complaints. As these things go, I had a craving for something new. HD800s got stellar reviews. Purchased. Turns out that they were the most uncomfortable things that I've ever worn and for the price, I'd need it to be perfect. Returned those and decided to go for something completely different again.

Got the fostex TH-600. Comfortable on the head and I absolutely loved their sound. Kept them for a while. The weight of them started to wear on me though, eventually hurting my neck. So many years with the really light 598 has ruined me apparently :p

Back to my 598 again. Once the mood hit again, I decided to try the fidelio x2. Totally didn't learn my lesson with the weight thing. Again, another set of headphones that I adored the sound of. Weight wasn't even the problem here. Not fully, at least. Like the HD800, I found these stupidly uncomfortable on the face and for some reason made me feel somewhat claustrophobic. Loved that sound though :frowning2:

Decided that large circular cups were now something to add to things I don't like and went back to the 598s. The left ear on these ones began doing the exact same as my previous. Crackling.

Deciding that I need my oval shaped cups without too much weight, I stuck to Senheisser and have currently stopped on the HD650.

I

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #267 of 502
I used to use my Grado, either 125i or 225e all the time. However recently I have been using Q Acoustics BT3 desktop speakers. I run them with a Meridian Explorer or a Chord Mojo, and a nice quality cable. I found that the soundstage is deep enough to be almost surrounded. The Mojo has the deeper soundstage, and it feels more around me, as I'm near the speakers.

Meaning I never even think to use headphones anymore for gaming. Plus I prefer not being tethered to the PC by a headphone cable. Sorry folks, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I used to love headphones too for gaming.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #270 of 502
I'm guilty of chasing unicorns.

I picked up the 712's from Mad Lust Envy's guide recommendation and I have been very happy with them.  Previously I had been using the Senn PC 350 SE.  Using the 712's with either the zxr or Jot/Modi MB has been a big and pleasant change to my ears.  I just got the bug to see if there is another "wow" moment to be found in stepping up.  Not necessarily just for gaming but music as well.  Understand the return on investment for just gaming would be next to nonexistent but would it be a step back in performance?  Heck, this isn't much different than golf or any other hobby/passion. What I have works but what could be like if I try this or that?

It is frustrating not having any headphones stores with higher end headphones to test.  The 712's turned out great but it was a shot in the dark since I couldn't try them for myself before buying.  I'm 48* but am very new to using dac, amps, and better headphones for music and gaming. I've had a "wow" moment and just searching for the next one.  Looking at playing with tube amps now as well (not for gaming
smile.gif
).  

*Started gaming in 1976 with a Coleco Telstar hooked up to a black white tv..... things have changed a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back