Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #271 of 498
  I'm guilty of chasing unicorns.

I picked up the 712's from Mad Lust Envy's guide recommendation and I have been very happy with them.  Previously I had been using the Senn PC 350 SE.  Using the 712's with either the zxr or Jot/Modi MB has been a big and pleasant change to my ears.  I just got the bug to see if there is another "wow" moment to be found in stepping up.  Not necessarily just for gaming but music as well.  Understand the return on investment for just gaming would be next to nonexistent but would it be a step back in performance?  Heck, this isn't much different than golf or any other hobby/passion. What I have works but what could be like if I try this or that?

It is frustrating not having any headphones stores with higher end headphones to test.  The 712's turned out great but it was a shot in the dark since I couldn't try them for myself before buying.  I'm 48* but am very new to using dac, amps, and better headphones for music and gaming. I've had a "wow" moment and just searching for the next one.  Looking at playing with tube amps now as well (not for gaming
smile.gif
).  

*Started gaming in 1976 with a Coleco Telstar hooked up to a black white tv..... things have changed a bit.

You sound like your going through the same stage as me. When i started this whole journey i had the plantronic 780 which i soon grew fed up & wanted better, so i picked the soundblaster z and the soundmagic hp100 which i listened to music and gamed with them. Then i got curious & ended up with the philips x2 big mistake i hated them, then i ended up with the beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen another mistake, after that the stax 2170, after that the hd 650.

The Philips x2 was a mistake for me as i brought blind with only the reviews and comments on them. The beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen came from some idea that i needed to get out of mid fi purgatory, so i went to can jam to have a listen to a bunch of headphones. On the beyerdynamic table they had the t1 1st gen which the soundstage impressive me which directly put them into my buying frame. But ultimately ended up with the 2nd gen, a big mistake as i much prefered the 1st generation. The stax 2170 was suppose to be my end game however i do slightly miss using stuff like sbx and have an interest in the sennheiser gsx 1000. The hd 650 i brought was because i went to can jam and sennheiser actually had them, even though my stax can been seen as superior there are times when i rather just go back to my hd 650. Both the hd 650 and stax are buys i do not regret most unlike the others.

I have pretty much gamed on all of them, the philips x2 i remember comparing it against the t1, the imagining felt like a blur it would kind of give you the idea where the sound was coming from however the t1 would tell you pin point where it was coming from. This was only ever beat by my stax, the hd 650 soundstage is kind of small for my gaming needs, it will be fine for single player games but i play alot online games that need a a bigger soundstage.

I would recommed you to go for the headfi meets or headphone audio shows like rocky audio show fare, there is no telling if the next buy you go blind will be lucky.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #274 of 498
  Just picked up the Hyperx Cloud Revolver headset at $50 off.  I couldn't resist.  I quite like them.

I wonder who they use as their OEM?

Yeah they are surprisingly well behaved. Gets beaten by the Focal Elear but unfair comparison much :p

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #275 of 498
As I play mostly CS:GO (and quite often - multiple-hours sessions) - I needed comfortable headphones with mic.
After reading a lot of reviews I bought HyperX Cloud II Headset.
Sound is pretty good (although most important thing for me is not quality but positioning), but comfort.. Honestly this is most comfortable headset I ever had in my life. First day I got it I did 4-hours non-stop CS:GO session and I didn't feel any discomfort or pressure on my head/ears. 
Another advantage is detachable mic. It is flexible and can be easily bent when not needed, but I prefer to remove it as it is super easy.
So yeah, I highly recommend this headset. Personally I love it :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #277 of 498
Hyper X is pretty popular in the mass consumer gaming headphone market, and decided to go with them for my first headphone purchase (all purpose + gaming). Bought a Hyper X Cloud Core as my first real gaming headphone investment to play some light shooters and mobas, and honestly enjoy them a lot. Extremely cheap / value for money for what I got it for (about $50 USD?) and recommend the Hyper X line if you don't have a big budget! Though the later ones get very sexy and increasingly expensive :wink:

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #278 of 498
  Hyper X is pretty popular in the mass consumer gaming headphone market, and decided to go with them for my first headphone purchase (all purpose + gaming). Bought a Hyper X Cloud Core as my first real gaming headphone investment to play some light shooters and mobas, and honestly enjoy them a lot. Extremely cheap / value for money for what I got it for (about $50 USD?) and recommend the Hyper X line if you don't have a big budget! Though the later ones get very sexy and increasingly expensive :wink:

I agree. I was actually using the Hyper X Cloud II before I upgraded to the Hyper Revolver which has a much better audio performance. The only downside to the Revolver is that it doesn't have that 7.1 surround support, but I ain't complaining because I do not use the feature anyway.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #279 of 498
I've been using the Hyper X Cloud for gaming for a couple years now and still love it. Cheap with decent sound, good build quality, super comfortable for wearing all day long, and you can plug in a mic when you need it. I'm probably gonna upgrade to the Revolver when mine dies.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #280 of 498
  I agree. I was actually using the Hyper X Cloud II before I upgraded to the Hyper Revolver which has a much better audio performance. The only downside to the Revolver is that it doesn't have that 7.1 surround support, but I ain't complaining because I do not use the feature anyway.

Nice man, I really like the mechanical styling of the Revolvers. How do they perform as a gaming headset? Is the staging accurate (for games like CS:GO), mic okay, etc... might be interested in buying a new headset as i have had my cloud core for 1 1/2 years now and am looking to upgrade.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #283 of 498
V-moda m100 with vmoda boom pro mic.    The treble is very good to hear foot steps and such, I can easily tell if someone is in a certain direction, but height is definitely an issue I cannot discern if someone is on a different floor of a building or something so ill look around like ?!?!.. then the bass, as its well known these are head-fi's extreme basshead club certified for impact so yes there is a lot of it as well.

I have used them competitively for call of duty as well as everyday casually playing many games and have not thought "these suck for this game". They make a fun experience, I also use the XL pads (all the time) and a custom cable for when im listening to music with them (rarer than other cans I use, unless Im in the mood to slam bass like im in a truck with 2 12" subs)

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #285 of 498
  V-moda m100 with vmoda boom pro mic.    The treble is very good to hear foot steps and such, I can easily tell if someone is in a certain direction, but height is definitely an issue I cannot discern if someone is on a different floor of a building or something so ill look around like ?!?!.. then the bass, as its well known these are head-fi's extreme basshead club certified for impact so yes there is a lot of it as well.

I have used them competitively for call of duty as well as everyday casually playing many games and have not thought "these suck for this game". They make a fun experience, I also use the XL pads (all the time) and a custom cable for when im listening to music with them (rarer than other cans I use, unless Im in the mood to slam bass like im in a truck with 2 12" subs)

I actually use my M100s when I record most of the time. I honestly believe the M100 is one of the best headphones on the market. I have bought and sold TONS of headphones over the past few years, the M100s are the only ones I refuse to part with. All my Senns, AKGs, Beyers, Audezes, Shures, everything I've had, the M100s remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back