Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #286 of 498
  I actually use my M100s when I record most of the time. I honestly believe the M100 is one of the best headphones on the market. I have bought and sold TONS of headphones over the past few years, the M100s are the only ones I refuse to part with. All my Senns, AKGs, Beyers, Audezes, Shures, everything I've had, the M100s remain.

I am pretty interested in the M100s, but from most reviews I see floating around, many say the bass is excessive and sometimes too much. Although I particularly enjoy my bass, I have always been hesistant to purchase one because of it. What are your views? Is the bass too much?

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #287 of 498
  I am pretty interested in the M100s, but from most reviews I see floating around, many say the bass is excessive and sometimes too much. Although I particularly enjoy my bass, I have always been hesistant to purchase one because of it. What are your views? Is the bass too much?

Nah. The M100 is definitely bassy by audiophile standards, but compared to a lot of "consumer" headphones it's very much not. The Sony/Beats/JVC/Skullcandy stuff you'll see at Best Buy are all bassier, the M100 has a nice clean low end to it. I believe V-Moda calls it "modiophile" as in modern audiophile.

I really don't think the bass is excessive. It's just potent. If you like bass the M100 is gonna be a good time. Just make sure to get the XL pads.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #288 of 498
  Nah. The M100 is definitely bassy by audiophile standards, but compared to a lot of "consumer" headphones it's very much not. The Sony/Beats/JVC/Skullcandy stuff you'll see at Best Buy are all bassier, the M100 has a nice clean low end to it. I believe V-Moda calls it "modiophile" as in modern audiophile.

I really don't think the bass is excessive. It's just potent. If you like bass the M100 is gonna be a good time. Just make sure to get the XL pads.

Nice, that sounds reassuring :) I'll pick them up if I find a good second hand deal sometime down the road

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #289 of 498

It can be if you want it.. the m100 responds very well to EQ.. I can make my full basshead, but also drop the bass via eq as well.

If you use a flat eq the bass can be a bit stronger than those who want an analytical sound would be like, but those who like some bass as you mentioned will find it a good amount (in my opinion!).   Also if you get them, watch raising the mids to much, they do have recessed mids but the speakers do not respond well to highly elevated mids on eq (the 1k-3k frequency)

Edit: and when I say full basshead, I am a basshead Im talking full impact headphones bouncing on your head bass, if that's something you like they are fantastic to do that haha.. it takes me back to the days before I had kids and had a system in my car. But they by no means need to do that and sound great even without a lot of bass boosting.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #290 of 498
So i had a chance to play around with the Stax L-300 with Metal Gear Solid V. The L300 has very good sound placement of enemies that are behind structures, which allows me to be able to avoid detection ahead of time and plan sneak attacks. These are really helped when i confronted the Sniper Quiet. She was never able to get the drop on me, because i could always have a good idea where she was sound wise. The negative, is that the soundstage is not very spectacular, and the treble isn't as good as say an HD800S for picking out certain sounds in situations. Especially with the much better soundstage and treble in the HD800S the headphones make the environment sound bigger, sorta like you are in the world, while being kind of anechoic because of the dampening of the drivers, however. As ethereal as the Stax are, you can tell right off the bat that they aren't as big as they could be. The L300s are more fun and boomy in comparison, and better for more cinematic moments in games, and less fatiguing in some aspects than the HD800s.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #291 of 498
Currently using a pair of Shure SRH440s which will be sold or traded very soon.

I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without the top of my head feeling like it's bruised. Great sound for the price but the comfort just isn't there.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #293 of 498
Currently using my Beyer DT880s. The sonic scape in Battlefield 1 is perfectiong with these cans.

May 21, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #296 of 498
Astro A40 with mixamp for XB1, HD650 for PC.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #299 of 498
The DT990 are pretty swell on a budget and sound great out of my Xbone controller. But for heavy duty PC gaming, the HD700 does it the best in my collection. Great bass for immersion, fantastic soundstage, and the bright'ish nature makes them great for detailing.

Used the HD600 for some time for gaming but the narrow soundstage makes them meh for competitive gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back