Which headphone to buy?
Dec 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

beenie

Head-Fier
Hello there,

I am currently searching for headphones for general home use from laptop. I would like some sound isolation so that I don’t disturb those around me.

I listen to a wide range of music such as rock, hip hop, classical, soul, dance, rnb, pop basically a wide range apart from this I also watch movies and watch videos online.  But the headphones will be mostly for music. I think I would require some bass but not too much.

My budget would be between £ 30 to about £ 60.

I came across various headphones such as:

GoldringDR-150

Sennheiser HD 215

Sennheiser HD202

Sennheiser HD428

Sennheiser HD448

Sennheiser HD415

Sennheiser HD 437    

Sennheiser HD515

Creative Aurvana live (CAL)

Audio Technica M30

Audio Technica M35

Audio Technica ATH-PRO5 V

Audio Technica ATH-AD300

Audio Technica ATH-T500

Audio-Technica ATH-T44

Numark PHX Pro

AKG K81DJ

Denon AH-D301

Denon AH-D501

I wanted to know which would be the best to buy. I would like decent build quality so they do last me a while.   

Thanks very much.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 26
Unfortunately, besides the HD448, I haven't listend to any closed full-size cans in your price range. You will have additional (and possibly better) options in that price range if you're willing to consider IEM's.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 26
As I said, I haven't listened to any of the other cans on your list, but I recall the HD448 being pretty good for a closed can at that price. You will find quite a bit of previous discussion on the topic, including comparison to other headphones.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 26
I'd suggest trying to find an AKG k240 Studio as an open box. Even new they can be found for your budget.
Out of a laptop the volume won't be super loud, so buying a cheap amp might be a good idea. Even an E5 might work.

I like the Maxell DHP-II for $40USD, but it's hard to suggest due to the poor build quality.

One idea is the AKG k44 MK II. They're very cheap, easily driven and very comfortable.

They do need a bit of burn-in or out of the box they are kind of bass heavy. They might have a bit more bass than you'd like, but shouldn't be too bad.
They certainly are not as bass heavy as the M50 or XB500 though.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 26
I have the Goldring DR150's and I can't say they're bad. Definitely not hi-fi, they're probably comparable to the Senn.HD555.

You should know that they're probably the most open pair of cans you'll come across. Hell, they're practically speakers too. They leak a lot of sound, and I mean a lot.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 26
Thanks. The K240s are out of my budget, thanks for the suggestion.  How good are the k44s in terms of sound quality. I don't think the bass would be much of a problem as I will be patient enough to let them burn in.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
I have the Goldring DR150's and I can't say they're bad. Definitely not hi-fi, they're probably comparable to the Senn.HD555.

You should know that they're probably the most open pair of cans you'll come across. Hell, they're practically speakers too. They leak a lot of sound, and I mean a lot.

I was thinking of these compared to Sennheisers the hd428 / hd448s. Which are better in your opinnion. Also, what about sound and build quality? . thanks

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking of these compared to Sennheisers the hd428 / hd448s. Which are better in your opinnion. Also, what about sound and build quality? . thanks

I really don't know, I'm just getting into this business lol. Regarding build quality it's kind of a meh for me to comment since I bought a testexample(dunno if it's the right word of choice. Anyway they had been out in a store and customers could test them) from a store. But overall I'd say they feel very plastic but at the same time fairly sturdy. Doesn't feel like they're gonna break, but when you reach for them and pick 'em up it sounds like you're abusing a hamster(could be because people had tried them and all that).

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 26
Review which may be of interest. The Denon is reckoned to be similar to the Creative Aurvana Live! (same driver at least) :
http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=460
The missing first picture?

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
I'd suggest trying to find an AKG k240 Studio as an open box. Even new they can be found for your budget.
Out of a laptop the volume won't be super loud, so buying a cheap amp might be a good idea. Even an E5 might work.

I like the Maxell DHP-II for $40USD, but it's hard to suggest due to the poor build quality.

One idea is the AKG k44 MK II. They're very cheap, easily driven and very comfortable.

They do need a bit of burn-in or out of the box they are kind of bass heavy. They might have a bit more bass than you'd like, but shouldn't be too bad.
They certainly are not as bass heavy as the M50 or XB500 though.

Thanks. The K240s are out of my budget, thanks for the suggestion.  How good are the k44s in terms of sound quality. I don't think the bass would be much of a problem as I will be patient enough to let them burn in.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
Review which may be of interest. The Denon is reckoned to be similar to the Creative Aurvana Live! (same driver at least) :
http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=460
The missing first picture?

Yeah thanks i had heard about the similarity between CreatiVe aurvana live (CAL) and Denons. Good review 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back