Which earphones are the best for techno/trance music?
Mar 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 31
Which are better the Westone 3 or IE8 for trance?

Quote:
i listen to lots and lots of trance the ie8's are great huge bass nice lush mids for female vocals in progressive non fatigueing and wide sound stage for the effects

i have also tried listening to re0's shure 530 and tf10's rezero is hopeless for trance others are good but just doenst have the bass impact sennheiser gives (similar to festivals and raves ive been to)

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 31
IE8's bass would be fantastic for all electronic music but the Westone 3's speed could really help with trance.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Too bad there isnt an IEM with both of the qualities from the W3's and The IE8...:frowning2:

If I were to go with one, I would choose the IE8. I apologize if I made the IE8 sound slow dynamics can be pretty darn fast just not lightning like armatures.

If there were an IEM that took both qualities from the the W3 and IE8, I would check out Otrofons and Final Audio IEM's. Perhaps the EQ-7 is the answer to your problem.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 31
Triple-Fi 10 wouldn't be a bad choice either. In fact I think I'd rather choose the Triple Fi over the W3 for purely just trance.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
i have also tried listening to re0's...rezero is hopeless for trance others are good but just doenst have the bass impact...

Quote:
RE0 come from a Chines manufacturer Yuin:
Here is their website
http://www.head-direct.com/

Quote:
It actually comes down to preference too. Actually I enjoy trance with my re-zero too

This is exactly the reason that Head-fi is useless for headphone reviews. What works for one person is crap for the next. I've been burned a few times taking somebody else's word for it. Best thing you can do is somehow try to test drive them.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
The fit of the tf10 is an issue. Also the build quality isnt great. I would be using them for working out so they woudnt quiet work.

I think ill be getting the IE8.

Just be wary if you get any sweat or any kind of liquid in non-sweat/liquid resistant IEM. The filters will eventually become damaged and dampened by sweat and the SQ start become muffled and degrade.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 31
The Triple.Fi 10 fit isn't as big of an issue as people make it out to be.  Yes, you might spend a few days fiddling with them to angle them right since they are a new shape to learn.  The large body also means they are largely a shallow insertion type of earphone.  Some prefer a deeper, more secure fit.  The shallow fit is actually good for these too given the dip in the midrange which shallow insertion helps (ear canal naturally attenuates midrange).  The stock tips at times can leave something to be desired.  The newer Triple.Fi 10 sets do come with Comply tips stock now which makes fitment easier for most.  I would still suggest looking at buying some different types of tips to help out though.  Getting the right tip makes all the difference in the world for fitment ease, comfort, and a secure fit.  It's just dumb to denounce a product simply because one is unwilling to find a good tip for their ears.  It does such that UE/Logitech doesn't provide more tips for what is supposed to be their flagship product.  The funny thing is a good bi-flange tip makes things really easy too without needing to rely on foam, but they just don't sell the earphone with anything which is unfortunate.

Durability is on par with many other products.  It's a plastic shell that's glued together just like many other earphones.  You can't be stupid with the earphone, but they also don't turn to dust the instant you touch them.  Yes, it would be nice to make them out of a more durable material (fiber reinforced plastics kick butt) and incorporate a screw or two.  Then again, a LOT of other earphones could benefit from such things.  People buy and snap off the nozzles of their new SE530 and SE535 earphones just trying to take off the stock tip, and they are some of the most over-engineered and polished earphones on the market.  If I were to argue against the Triple.Fi 10, I would agree that the plastic is of a very hard and brittle type as in it will not really flex and instead crack and break before you notice you are stressing them in some way.  It's just that the material is not of a soft type.  The cord connection is also not built tough.  It won't break on its own, but you can break it from misuse if you're manhandling the thing.  I find the cord itself to be on par with most other products.  I do personally like the twisted wire type of the Westone as it's flexible, has some built in stretch due to design, and carries very little microphonics.  I wouldn't mind seeing more companies go that route as a standard format.  There are of course aftermarket wire options for the Triple.Fi 10 if you so choose.

If these earphones are mainly for working out, I might suggest you look at Sleek Audio.  Something like the Triple.Fi 10 or IE8 are a bit bulky and floppy for sport use.  Sleek's SA6 and soon to come SA6R is a great choice for sport use.  They are very compact and very light.  As well, they offer their wireless kit to help get the cord out of the way.  My bro runs with these no problem.  It's one of the better portable solutions for someone who plans on being mobile.

p.s. on the RE0 comment:
No, Yuin doesn't make the Hifiman product line (RE1, RE2, RE0, RE-ZERO, RE252, RE262, HE5, HE5LE, HE6).  Yuin as far as most are concerned only off earbuds in the PK1, PK2, PK3, OK1, OK2, and OK3 products and clip-on headphones in the G1, G2, and newer G1A, and G2A variants.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
The Triple.Fi 10 fit isn't as big of an issue as people make it out to be.  Yes, you might spend a few days fiddling with them to angle them right since they are a new shape to learn.  The large body also means they are largely a shallow insertion type of earphone.  Some prefer a deeper, more secure fit.  The shallow fit is actually good for these too given the dip in the midrange which shallow insertion helps (ear canal naturally attenuates midrange).  The stock tips at times can leave something to be desired.  The newer Triple.Fi 10 sets do come with Comply tips stock now which makes fitment easier for most.  I would still suggest looking at buying some different types of tips to help out though.  Getting the right tip makes all the difference in the world for fitment ease, comfort, and a secure fit.  It's just dumb to denounce a product simply because one is unwilling to find a good tip for their ears.  It does such that UE/Logitech doesn't provide more tips for what is supposed to be their flagship product.  The funny thing is a good bi-flange tip makes things really easy too without needing to rely on foam, but they just don't sell the earphone with anything which is unfortunate.

Durability is on par with many other products.  It's a plastic shell that's glued together just like many other earphones.  You can't be stupid with the earphone, but they also don't turn to dust the instant you touch them.  Yes, it would be nice to make them out of a more durable material (fiber reinforced plastics kick butt) and incorporate a screw or two.  Then again, a LOT of other earphones could benefit from such things.  People buy and snap off the nozzles of their new SE530 and SE535 earphones just trying to take off the stock tip, and they are some of the most over-engineered and polished earphones on the market.  If I were to argue against the Triple.Fi 10, I would agree that the plastic is of a very hard and brittle type as in it will not really flex and instead crack and break before you notice you are stressing them in some way.  It's just that the material is not of a soft type.  The cord connection is also not built tough.  It won't break on its own, but you can break it from misuse if you're manhandling the thing.  I find the cord itself to be on par with most other products.  I do personally like the twisted wire type of the Westone as it's flexible, has some built in stretch due to design, and carries very little microphonics.  I wouldn't mind seeing more companies go that route as a standard format.  There are of course aftermarket wire options for the Triple.Fi 10 if you so choose.

If these earphones are mainly for working out, I might suggest you look at Sleek Audio.  Something like the Triple.Fi 10 or IE8 are a bit bulky and floppy for sport use.  Sleek's SA6 and soon to come SA6R is a great choice for sport use.  They are very compact and very light.  As well, they offer their wireless kit to help get the cord out of the way.  My bro runs with these no problem.  It's one of the better portable solutions for someone who plans on being mobile.

p.s. on the RE0 comment:
No, Yuin doesn't make the Hifiman product line (RE1, RE2, RE0, RE-ZERO, RE252, RE262, HE5, HE5LE, HE6).  Yuin as far as most are concerned only off earbuds in the PK1, PK2, PK3, OK1, OK2, and OK3 products and clip-on headphones in the G1, G2, and newer G1A, and G2A variants.

Totally agreed, in an era of instant gratification and entitlement, I think the fit issue of the TF-10 is overly exaggerated. If I didn't actually try them on for myself, I would have ruled them out based on the posts I have read. They do need to be fiddle around with and once the right set of tips is put on, the fit is just as secure as the IE8 inside my medium size ears. And with the Null Audio Lune Cable, they are on the same levels of performance as my W4. One thing you can always believe is that you can't always believe in everything you read on the web because credibility is always optional.

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #27 of 31
havent heard the westone 3's but they are meant to be extremely good ...

i would def go with the ie8 when i tried my fds tf10 for about 2 days the fit was way too annoying and the highs are fatigueing

if you listen to alot of trance that have vocals u will want mid range which i thought tf10 lacked and my old se530 shined in (however i didnt like tbe bass impact and weight of the 530 so sold for ie8)

Quote:

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:

Ok, I own both and listen to trance on a daily basis. It really doesnt matter, both will give you excellent sound for trance. If I had to categorise the two: IE8 = boomy vibrating bass, W3 = really punchy fast bass

I have found that the W3s are better than the IE8 when it comes to highs, but it doesn't detract from the overall experience in any way when listening to the IE8s. It all depends on what kind of bass you like. For example hip hop tends to have extensive, boomy bass, so the IE8s would be ideal, but for trance where the bass is usually punchy and has a nice kick to it, the W3s win hands down. I have also found that the W3s hold their own in other genres (hardstyle, electro, psych trance, etc.) and so will serve your purposes extremely well. 

In an ideal world (like the situation I'm in) you will have both and be able to choose between the two on the fly, but that comes at a great cost :p

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Ok, I own both and listen to trance on a daily basis. It really doesnt matter, both will give you excellent sound for trance. If I had to categorise the two: IE8 = boomy vibrating bass, W3 = really punchy fast bass

I have found that the W3s are better than the IE8 when it comes to highs, but it doesn't detract from the overall experience in any way when listening to the IE8s. It all depends on what kind of bass you like. For example hip hop tends to have extensive, boomy bass, so the IE8s would be ideal, but for trance where the bass is usually punchy and has a nice kick to it, the W3s win hands down. I have also found that the W3s hold their own in other genres (hardstyle, electro, psych trance, etc.) and so will serve your purposes extremely well. 

In an ideal world (like the situation I'm in) you will have both and be able to choose between the two on the fly, but that comes at a great cost :p

Yes, the two wouls be much to expensive. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back