Which DAP: Hippo Gumstick Vs T51/S:Flo
Jul 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

anant_rastogi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys so i am searching for new DAP to fullfill my potable audio needs.
Some background Info

Music File Type
Flac
320kbps

Music Genre
Jazz - 10%
Trance - 30%
Rock and allied stuff - 60%

I am not a basshead neither do i like shrill trebles. I want to select a player purely on the basis of its SQ alone. So it dsnt matter if its gotta bad UI etc but it should have a expandable memory option.

My budget aint that much so i have ignored the iMod,HiFiMan 801 and Sony X/A Series.
So the things in my budget
Hisoundaudio Rocco
Hippo Gumstick
Nationite S:Flo
HiFi Man 601

I would be pairing this player with IEMs only which rules out the Hisoundaudio products so i am just left with Gumstick($99) and S:Flo 2gb($119 + shipping)
I havent seen a direct comparision between these two players hence i thought of opening up a thread here to gain some more insight to the world of DAP :p .
So what do you guys think?

P.S. - Got no amp but it is in pipeline !

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 8
If you consider only those two, I would personally go for sflo2.
Basing only on what Ive heard from friend who got gumstick(thats hisoundaudio rocco) and sflo2 and he strongly prefers sflo2.

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 8
s:flo2 is amazing for it's sound quality and price. I love it and although the UI isn't top notch I have no complaints. Sadly I dropped mine and the black part near the button is all smashed up but A) The screen is still perfect and B) That gives me an excuse for a better/new player in the future :)

I'm definitely looking at the Hifiman 602. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Sflo2 > Gumstick, especially if you use the LO to amp.  Gumstick is pretty dam good though especially if you need good sound and decent power in a small package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back