Where to go after the K701?
Jun 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 38
This thread has really energized my interest in phones, thanks to everyone for your replies so far!

At the moment I am sitting on a list of three headphones with a couple of maybes. I did some more research into the ATH-W1000x and it sounds amazing and might possibly be the one... I just hope I can find somewhere to have a listen to one before I put any money down. Secondly I have a tie between the HE-5LE's and the HE-500's, even tho the 500's are the dearer phone, I've long had an interest in the 5LE's and they just look so awesome. I think I would also need to listen to one of these models before I could make a final decision.

Last of all as Sphinxvc mentioned, the Stax series... In all honesty (and I feel a little shy in saying so) but I don't know anything about them... I'll surely have a chance to listen to them at an upcoming meet so perhaps I should restrain my wallet until then.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 38
I wouldn't recommend buying much without hearing it. It's very difficult to predict how something will be. I would also recommend finding a source and amp you really like if you haven't already. I tried most everything at can jam aside from jh audio, and some phones on multiple sources. I've tried hd650s and hd800s on multiple things outside of meets too. There were a couple electrostat headphones I tried at an audio store as well. Pretty sure they were the least expensive of the Stax line.

The K701 is my favorite now, but when I heard it at canjam on ALO and Woo Audio's sources, I only mildly liked them. I tried a diverse amount of music(this is also important too). Woo's stuff was so I don't know, laid back or whatnot, that I came away feeling like the 701s only bested the RS1 with stuff like Barry Manilow. I got them for my bday and think they kill the Grado stuff now that I'm hearing them with my own source and amp. Haven't really touched my RS1 or HF2 since getting these and the DT990(and haven't done much with the DT990 00ohm version since getting the 701). 

There may or may not be a 701 with more bass. If there is, I haven't stumbled onto it. I tried Senns, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, LCD2, Denons, PS1, DT880, T1, Phiaton, Stax, whatever was there. I listened to every single phone I could find on as many sources as were around to plug it into in whatever room. 

The DT990 is a bass monster. It's a little rolled off sounding, but never feels boomy or as if the bass is out of control. It can be fatiguing though. Maybe less so with a more laid back source. I don't listen to it much at all because I find it difficult to sacrifice the extra soundstage. The bass impact I get from my setup using the K701 is enough for me too. 

One headphone I'd like to hear with my setup is the T1. I'm also interested in that new AKG closed headphone that looks similar to the 701. 

I really didn't like anything outside of Grado/Beyer/AKG. The guy who sold me the RS1 told me to try the 701 as well, and I agree that it was a good idea. The 701 basically removed all the things I hated with my RS1 listening experience. The only thing I really miss is how more things would sound like they were flying out of the headphone with the RS1. 

If you're going to gamble on gear, I would do it for the least amount of money possible. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 38
Or just buy used here.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 38
I'm currently in the same predicament (choosing an upgrade from the k701) and I'm also looking for something with more bass that also maintains the clarity and detail of the k701.  From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of people who have switched from the k701 to the w1000x and greatly enjoy them and I personally plan on upgrading to them once I have the money. Just my two cents

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 38
Although probably more of a downgrade, I've heard the hd 598 described as sort of a smoother, funner k701 (and quite a departure from the typical Sennheiser sound). Take that with a grain of salt, though, as I've heard neither :p

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
I'm currently in the same predicament (choosing an upgrade from the k701) and I'm also looking for something with more bass that also maintains the clarity and detail of the k701.  From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of people who have switched from the k701 to the w1000x and greatly enjoy them and I personally plan on upgrading to them once I have the money. Just my two cents

This is what I've been thinking too

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 38
If you want to turn up the bass, think about a M^3 with the variable bass boost control. This is one of the finest solid state amps out there. It's mostly built by the DIY community, but you'll find used ones and builders out there. Or build your own. DIY isn't as hard as you might think. You'll save a lot of money and be able to build other cool stuff.

As for an upgrade to the K-701, I think most of you are barking up the wrong tree. If you like the AKG house sound and are willing to buy something like a HD-800 or T1, track down a K-1000. Costs about the same but has nice bass extension provided you feed it 8W or more of power - as called for in the user manual. Many speaker amps will give you this and quality speaker amps are often less expensive than headphone amps.

Another headphone that would work well is the Beyerdynamic DT880. Good bass and a bit of a forward signature - it might suit you.

One that you'd either truly love or truly hate is the Sony MDR-SA5000. I like it and I think it's everything you're asking for. On the other hand, you might hate it. I don't know. But you should look into it. Rarely mentioned around here, but it's possibly everything you want.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #23 of 38
I've listened to the SA5000 and didn't feel it was my cup of tea (I preferred the K701 over it).

As for the K1000 I don't have enough cash to splurge out on a whole new system and also would prefer to stick to the more 'traditional' style of headphones, over-ear rather than the speaker-on-the-side-of-your-head-type... This might sound a bit narrow minded but the K1000 just isn't for me.

Oh and the DT880 isn't as much of a step up from the K701 as I would like even 'tho it has the characteristics mentioned.

Am looking forward to getting a listen to a W1000x sometime soon, will hopefully end my search
k701smile.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
There may or may not be a 701 with more bass. If there is, I haven't stumbled onto it. I tried Senns, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, LCD2, Denons, PS1, DT880, T1, Phiaton, Stax, whatever was there. I listened to every single phone I could find on as many sources as were around to plug it into in whatever room. 

Fateicon, quick question for you given this experience.  What did you think of LCD2 vs. K701 generally?  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
W1000x is indeed nice headphones (espesially for low volume listening)

but I don't think they a straight upgrade from K701, they are different.

You are correct it's not a straight upgrade in every aspect the original poster wanted - the sound stage is not as wide and airy (hard to beat the K701 here unless you go past $1000), the treble is just a tad toned down but the bass is also slightly upped from the K701, while still remaining in general a high clarity and a bright sound that is similar to the K701.  It's the closest to the K701 signature that I can think of compared to say the Denons (big bass emphasis but much less clarity and less treble) or the HD-650 (dark compared to the K701) which I also tried.  If the W1000x is different some of the suggestions that has been brought up can be considered polar opposites IMO.    

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 38
The "feel" of open headphones is really hard compare to close, that's why I think any closed cans won't suitable to upgrade.

K701 on steroid, what I can think for now is only HD800 (wih very good source+amplification)

or for under $1000, Stax Lambda 404LE then. 404LE will offering better separation, detail, and cleaner sound compare to K701. The only problem for stax is their presentation (imaging) which is different than dynamic of course.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:
The "feel" of open headphones is really hard compare to close, that's why I think any closed cans won't suitable to upgrade.

K701 on steroid, what I can think for now is only HD800 (wih very good source+amplification)

or for under $1000, Stax Lambda 404LE then. 404LE will offering better separation, detail, and cleaner sound compare to K701. The only problem for stax is their presentation (imaging) which is different awesome.

fixed.  
smile.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 38
emm... actually I won't put that "awesome" word, because not all people like stat presentaston.

For people who used to dynamic presentation, when they try stat, they will miss the center image focus of dynamic, because stat (note: never heard O2, only lambda series), I always feel something "empty" in their center image.

It's not bad, it's just different.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 38
Yep, I was just kidding.  
smile.gif

It's funny you say that though 'cause I thought the center image was excellent the last time I heard Lambdas (but they were discontinued Lambda Pros--haven't heard the newer Lambdas).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back