What's your " go-to " IEM or portable headphone?
Aug 20, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #47 of 55

Quote:
As of today, my Westone ES5s (before it was the RE-272). They really do sound amazing and I'm glad considering how much they cost!

Where do they improve on the RE272 the most? bass, mids or treble? and vice-versa, does the RE272 top them in bass, mids, or treble? Thx.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #49 of 55

Quote:

Where do they improve on the RE272 the most? bass, mids or treble? and vice-versa, does the RE272 top them in bass, mids, or treble? Thx.

I did a very quick comparison just for this. The bass and the mids are a definite improvement. The ES5 has more impact in the bass area, it packs more punch when needed and extends lower to my ears, but it's not boomy or what I'd call bass heavy. I'd actually say that the RE-272 are hindering on bass light, but they do have some punch. Compared to the ES5, the bass seems more like an afterthought and it's not as realistic (and in some tracks it just sounds really artificial). The mids on the ES5 are full of body and once again, more realistic and a tad forward, but not too much (which I love for vocals of all kinds). I think the mids and bass are more detailed on the ES5.

Now the highs is a toss up. The RE-272 most definitely is up there in terms of detail and crispness (I think it's a bit more crisp than the ES5, but it's so close I come to different conclusions on this on). They both have plenty of sparkle and detail and I think the RE-272 has more emphasis on this area so I could hear some sounds on them that I'd have to listen harder on the ES5 to find (I think the ES5 is a bit more even on all frequency levels). I think the ES5 makes up for what the RE-272 lacks, but doesn't sacrifice clarity.

Of course, this is all on my ears and my source is just an iPhone 4 ATM (and it sounds great to me).

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 55
Westone 3's but I'm seriously eyeing ES5's 

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #54 of 55
Either my Sleek Audio SA-6's or UE-700's, for a walk in the world Woodeez "BLUES"

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #55 of 55
CK10s.  the only pair of IEMs i own.  the only pair i'll need until i go customs :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back