Whats the secret behind the LCD 2's popularity here?
Sep 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #106 of 193
I also like how the other thread title makes not liking the LCD2 a sin.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #108 of 193
I also like how the other thread title makes not liking the LCD2 a sin.

Relax - there was similar backlash against anyone who dared to question the almightiness of the HD800. One of the big problems back then was supply and the other was amping them - people were basing the opinions on a 3-minute 'audtion' at a meet, and one clown even wrote a review of the HD800 using an (unamped) iPhone for his source.

I blame a lot of it on Sennheiser, or more specifically their distributors - what other headphone company would send its flagship to someone with so little understanding of the product, simply because his blog gets a lot of hits ? Its the equivalent of Porsche building a supercar and asking Perez Hilton to test drive the thing .....

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #109 of 193

Quote:
Relax - there was similar backlash against anyone who dared to question the almightiness of the HD800. One of the big problems back then was supply and the other was amping them - people were basing the opinions on a 3-minute 'audtion' at a meet, and one clown even wrote a review of the HD800 using an (unamped) iPhone for his source.
I blame a lot of it on Sennheiser, or more specifically their distributors - what other headphone company would send its flagship to someone with so little understanding of the product, simply because his blog gets a lot of hits ? Its the equivalent of Porsche building a supercar and asking Perez Hilton to test drive the thing .....

Yes like this review thread I started against the hd800's when they were the untouchable hype http://www.head-fi.org/t/441430/a-twisted-review-hd800s-calculative-clinical-and-sterile-soul
it got locked just after 13 pages! people can get madly defensive here, they need to justify their expense somehow... 
I've heard the lcd2's several times and never been impressed, there I said it.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #110 of 193
I am not the biggest fan of it either, but I think its cuz of something in my set up...

The headphone for the most part sounds awesome, but I just wish it had the airyness and expansive soundstage of the T1.  It sounds really intimate like a closed headphone to me.  The overwhelming positive reviews of it keeps making me feel like its somewhere else in my set up, but after tinkering with different amps, dacs, software it still sounds the same.  

After a while I just gave up and got a t1, but if only...

EDIT: If anyone has found any software/mods that might help, I'd appreciate a link...

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #111 of 193

Yes like this review thread I started against the hd800's when they were the untouchable hype http://www.head-fi.org/t/441430/a-twisted-review-hd800s-calculative-clinical-and-sterile-soul
it got locked just after 13 pages! people can get madly defensive here, they need to justify their expense somehow... 

Sure, but wouldn't you be defensive if someone criticised your Stax rig on the basis of VFM ? I can see where it comes from, particularly when someone spends a couple of grand (phones+amp) in the belief that they are getting the 'best'.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #112 of 193

Quote:
I am not the biggest fan of it either, but I think its cuz of something in my set up...

The headphone for the most part sounds awesome, but I just wish it had the airyness and expansive soundstage of the T1.  It sounds really intimate like a closed headphone to me.  The overwhelming positive reviews of it keeps making me feel like its somewhere else in my set up, but after tinkering with different amps, dacs, software it still sounds the same.  

After a while I just gave up and got a t1, but if only...

EDIT: If anyone has found any software/mods that might help, I'd appreciate a link...

My experience is similar as yours. I've been trying to love my LCD2 (rev2) but after trying it from different amps and sources (auditor, phonitor, little dot mk7, RSA B52...) they still sound like a closed can, lack of airyness and not always that clear. I also notice the "ringing" problem with these cans. I do go to classical concert from time to time and i never find instruments sounding neutral or "life like" in anyway with these lcd2, at least to my ears. Their dark signature is indeed intimate, their bass is impressive, easily the best i have heart from any headphones i have tried but thats pretty all there is. But for intimate listening, i much prefer the HD650 paired with a tube amp because they are as intimate, more airy and much much more comfortable.

I'm gonna give my LCD2 a little more time to love them more but looks like they are going to find a new ower soon since my hands always reach my 2 years old HD800 instead.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #113 of 193
Quote:
Sure, but wouldn't you be defensive if someone criticised your Stax rig on the basis of VFM ? I can see where it comes from, particularly when someone spends a couple of grand (phones+amp) in the belief that they are getting the 'best'.

Why would you care if someone criticized your rig?  If it makes you happy, then why care what anyone else thinks?  Some people think $10k+ cyro-treated cables are a significant upgrade to their system.  It's just like taste in music, women/men, cars, food, books, sports, etc.  Music and art are very personal things.

A couple of grand won't get you within spitting distance within 'the best', anyway.  I'm just as happy listening to my favorite music, whether it's a low-bitrate YouTube copy on my cheap work headphones, or on my O2s.

Anyway, Deadlylover had the best summation of the LCD-2s on the first page of this thread.  It's the best way of getting close to the O2 without spending the money, and arguably makes up for some of the O2's deficiencies in a suboptimal electrostat setup.

I was not that impressed by the LCD-2s.  I prefer the lower-end Grados.  The LCD-2 would be fun once in awhile, but not as a main pair of headphones.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #114 of 193
Me me me me me. I need to try them for myself. Want a rev 2.

Quote:

My experience is similar as yours. I've been trying to love my LCD2 (rev2) but after trying it from different amps and sources (auditor, phonitor, little dot mk7, RSA B52...) they still sound like a closed can, lack of airyness and not always that clear. I also notice the "ringing" problem with these cans. I do go to classical concert from time to time and i never find instruments sounding neutral or "life like" in anyway with these lcd2, at least to my ears. Their dark signature is indeed intimate, their bass is impressive, easily the best i have heart from any headphones i have tried but thats pretty all there is. But for intimate listening, i much prefer the HD650 paired with a tube amp because they are as intimate, more airy and much much more comfortable.

I'm gonna give my LCD2 a little more time to love them more but looks like they are going to find a new ower soon since my hands always reach my 2 years old HD800 instead.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #115 of 193
I missed this post the first time around. I will definitely go down one day and give the LCDs an audition.

Quote:
Hey leng jai,

You're in Melbourne - pop into Addicted to Audio in Kew - George, Cornelius and Rendra have them
for audition anytime.

Make up your own mind and hear it for yourself on a variety of amps.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #116 of 193

Quote:
Quote:

Looks like 11 pages to me, and not locked *cough*. I think someone had farted in the thread. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #117 of 193

Quote:
Looks like 11 pages to me, and not locked *cough*. I think someone had farted in the thread. 
wink_face.gif

You are truly great! 
atsmile.gif
 still smells like gas though...

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #118 of 193
Because the LCD 2 rev2s do almost everything right at a pricepoint much lower than the dynamic flagships. Only thing that is still somewhat lacking is extreme treble extension as well as soundstage expansiveness.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #119 of 193
Thats a bit contradictory. 

Quote:
Because the LCD 2 rev2s do almost everything right at a pricepoint much lower than the dynamic flagships. Only thing that is still somewhat lacking is extreme treble extension as well as soundstage expansiveness.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #120 of 193
Thats a bit contradictory.  

He said "almost"-meaning not 100% perfect.
I thought his post made a lot of sense. The price of LCD2 does play a part in their popularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back