Whats the secret behind the LCD 2's popularity here?
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #31 of 193
I'm probably asking for it by stating this, but I get the impression that those who disagree with the majority on "LCD-2 love" end up getting berated.  They get outcast from "the group." I like the LCD-2's though.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #32 of 193
If so, that applies to all headphones. Grados. Stax. Etc. I don't think it's something that is special for Audezeowners. I personally have no problem to understand those not liking the LCD-2 sound. It's just opinions either ways. And, more important, it's about finding the headphone we all like the best. Unfortunatelly, someone may feel "critizism" become personal. That is sad.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 193
They sound good.

People aren't used to "right down the middle," as others have said.

Quote:
Most of the high end is 'light at the end of the tunnel' if you will...and the LCD 2 is a little bit of darkness in that light.

That's funny, and I agree. The new rev is brighter, though. More right down the middle.

I like the HE-500s too, which are a bit less glory and a bit more punch, to my ear. 

And what's all this tschit about post count?     

Sheesh.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 193

Quote:
I'm probably asking for it by stating this, but I get the impression that those who disagree with the majority on "LCD-2 love" end up getting berated.  They get outcast from "the group." I like the LCD-2's though.

I personally don't agree with this observation. I've made statements critical of the LCD-2 and have never felt anything close to "berated." Of course, my post count is well below 1000...

:)

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #35 of 193
That makes me want to try the rev 2 even more. I'm worried after loving the HE 500 so much I'd have a problem with the LCD 2. Nice to hear the LCD 2 is a little closer to the middle now. 

Pretty excited to get them at my doorstep...Probably 2 weeks 'til I can order. Stupid rent...and groceries.

Quote:

That's funny, and I agree. The new rev is brighter, though. More right down the middle.

I like the HE-500s too, which are a bit less glory and a bit more punch, to my ear. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #36 of 193

Quote:

Sadly, I traded my HE-500s for HE-6s, so I wasn't able to compare them directly (or with the LCD-2 Rev 2., for that matter). Your review makes me wish I'd had that opportunity, rather than just relying on aural memory.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #37 of 193

Quote:
I personally don't agree with this observation. I've made statements critical of the LCD-2 and have never felt anything close to "berated." Of course, my post count is well below 1000...

:)

What's this?!  You dared to criticize the famed LCD-2 and you're not even a 1000+ Head-Fier?!  Time for some berating!
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 193

Quote:
It sucks. It doesn't sound $994.75 better than iBuds. You need 3 grown men to help position it on your head and a titanium neck brace to support the heaviest materials known to man. Rumour has it the cable constricts its prey and devours unsuspecting pets and small children like a prehistoric serpentine monstrosity. The clamp is so bad, your head will implode just looking at it.

I only own it to boost my Head-Fi cred.

biggrin.gif

I bought an LCD-2 rev 2 from HeadRoom recently. They sound good. But like the HE-5LE, if you can imagine a person in a stiff suit with no sense of humour and no personality, you can imagine how much time you would not want to spend with that sort of person.

But again, they sound good, great even. I like to listen to them when I want to hear perfection. When I want to hear music, tap my feet and sing and play air drums and guitar and have fun and not feel like a monkey is riding on my head, I go to my other phones.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 193

Quote:

What's this?!  You dared to criticize the famed LCD-2 

Impossible...they sound like real life. FINALLY! i had the chance to audition them for a couple of hours. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 193
The LCD2 is a great headphone, I really enjoyed it. Actually, I was quite impressed with the LCD1 at a meet, when the Audez'e guys let me borrow a prototype for half an hour to try on my own rig.

There is some hype and attendant fanboys, but I think the product is good enough to deserve that. It should be noted that there are some products with hype and fanboys that aren't anywhere as successful.

I've thought about buying them, but don't think they'd make me any happier than the HD-800 does. And even those have been running in second place to my speakers. I don't need another pair of headphones sitting in a box.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 193
They look way sexier than the others. :p

BTW - about the theory that it's because it's dark - are you sure that Head-Firs prefer a dark sound signature, because I've read more complaints about the HD 650's "veil" than I can count. 
confused.gif

I can't afford them so I might make thunderpants instead. . .

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #42 of 193
^ For every single person that complains about the veil, you'd find about 10 who love the non-fatiguing treble.
bigsmile_face.gif

Plus the complaints are a far cry from the polarizing opinions of, say, the K701.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #43 of 193
Just a note on the LCD-2 from an international perspective outside of the US.

I have it on good authority from a local retailer that Audeze insist on a minimum 15 x unit order
otherwise they will not ship any units. This goes a long way for shedding light on the previous
discussion that some feel that Audeze are making these for little money and don't have to
insist on reasonable turn-over to make ends meet. You can also imagine the stress this
places on a headphone outpost here in Australia that is now burdened with trying to sell
15 units of a fairly pricey, niche headphone that cannot be discounted. The price here
is $1,198AUD as of today.

This is a sharp contrast to Sennheiser's tactics out here in Australia. The retailer
never owns the HD 800 in stock, like many car retailers - the retailer is merely an
agent for the HD 800 whereby they receive a commission fee for the unit if sold.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #44 of 193
I think the bass makes it appeal it appeal more to the masses compared to the other high end cans. As has been mentioned there doesn't appear to be any other high end can that has the same low end emphasis as the Audeze. Personally I've gone past the basshead phase after owning the HD650/D7000 that even the T1s sound sound heavy to me at times. 

If Audeze released an LCD3 with a different design and similar sound signature  I'd definitely be very interested though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back