Whats the secret behind the LCD 2's popularity here?
Sep 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 193

Quote:
... I think it's just a lot of people loving the dark-ish mid centric sound sig.

Or to put it another way, long ago there was a fork in the road where headphone sound drifted away from representing great speakers in a great room, and toward an analytic instrument approach on its own terms.  Some people want to jump back across the (now very wide) chasm to the old style.  And why not? 

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #17 of 193

Quote:
Or to put it another way, long ago there was a fork in the road where headphone sound drifted away from representing great speakers in a great room, and toward an analytic instrument approach on its own terms.  Some people want to jump back across the (now very wide) chasm to the old style.  And why not? 

Wow is this ever an over-broad statement in need of qualification.

I have no idea what aspect of "great speakers in a great room" you are referring to. Tonality? Imaging and separation? full-bass impact...? (The list goes on).

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #18 of 193
Two reasons:

1) They sound mightily good with a sound signature that appeals to a lot of people here.

2) They push every button of the typical headfier, unorthodox technology, made by a small company of innovators (HF will always root for David against Goliath), made in the US (HF is mainly North American), original looks, and finally they measures quite well on the bench and is the cheapest 'flagship headphones'.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #19 of 193

Quote:
Two reasons:

1) They sound mightily good with a sound signature that appeals to a lot of people here.

2) They push every button of the typical headfier, unorthodox technology, made by a small company of innovators (HF will always root for David against Goliath), made in the US (HF is mainly North American), original looks, and finally they measures quite well on the bench and is the cheapest 'flagship headphones'.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #20 of 193

Quote:
Wow is this ever an over-broad statement in need of qualification.

I have no idea what aspect of "great speakers in a great room" you are referring to. Tonality? Imaging and separation? full-bass impact...? (The list goes on).

I don't think it's over-broad.  It is what it is.  Right now I have one system that does a pretty good job of sounding like actual speakers in an actual room - in all relevant aspects - and another that sounds like the audio version of a Zeiss microscope.  Two very, very different presentations.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 193
Sep 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #22 of 193

Quote:
This could be it...

In all honesty, the LCD-2 are great headphones. In the end you really just have to listen to all the high end headphones yourself to really judge them adequately. Sometimes it's just a matter of one owner being more vocal than another. Sometimes it's FOTM. Sometimes it's due to marketing. At the end of the day the best headphone is the one that satisfies YOU. It could be an LCD-2, it could be an HE-500 or it could be BEATS by Dre.

This is a fantastic article that compares some the current "high end" headphones.

here here!

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #23 of 193
the reason i purchased lcds over t1  (doesn't mean i won't eventually), was so many people claimed it the best headphone they have heard, so i figure it- a good starting place for high end headphones.   On a personal level, i get warm fuzzies when i listen to them, so they exceeded my expectations.

Oh and as soon as i heard a popular dubstep producer co-made them, i was interested more.  Seemed like a sonic rebellion.  And it made me cheer, as i remember all the times ive heard "nobody listens to techno" mantras.  

honestly i think the t1's are pretty popular. i haven't heard a bad word about them. I HAVE heard people who don't like the lcd's.  I think that says something.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 193
I was excited about this, too. 

Quote:
the reason i purchased lcds over t1  (doesn't mean i won't eventually), was so many people claimed it the best headphone they have heard, so i figure it- a good starting place for high end headphones.   On a personal level, i get warm fuzzies when i listen to them, so they exceeded my expectations.

Oh and as soon as i heard a popular dubstep producer co-made them, i was interested more.  Seemed like a sonic rebellion.  And it made me cheer, as i remember all the times ive heard "nobody listens to techno" mantras.  

honestly i think the t1's are pretty popular. i haven't heard a bad word about them. I HAVE heard people who don't like the lcd's.  I think that says something.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 193
From experience I was sent a pair of T1's and a just then released pair of LCD2's My friend owns a high end audio company and told me that I would love the LCD2's and that I should compare them to the new T1 which I was thinking about buying. Hands down with my system the LCD was a winner. IT worked for me in a way no other headphone had yet. Smooth, velvety, Liquid. Really easy to listen to and a lot of fun. I liked the look of it. It suited me. Is there a lot of marketing and hype about the LCD2? No not really. It is a small company. Word of mouth. How did that happen? Because they are that good. That said to each his own. We all have different tastes. I think the LCD2 ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 193
Hype?  What hype?  Audeze has probably created the least amount of hype and advertising of any of the flagship headphones.  They don't even have any professional photographs on their site.  They now finally have some that don't look homemade, but they still are not up to what even Hifiman has made of their phones (the ones you see in the ads here).  Sennheiser creates WAY more hype for their HD800 in their imagery, their statements, their tactics, their pricepoint, and even the looks of the headphone itself.  The reason that the LCD-2 thread is long is because they have an enthusiastic fan base.  And that has nothing to do with hype. 

The secret to Audeze's success is that they have 0 competition with the other flagship headphones, or in fact, with any headphone within a 600 dollar radius.  I agree with Innerspace, over the past couple decades, every headphone manufacturer has seemingly moved in the same direction- towards a more analytical signature whose top priority is to eek out as much detail as possible at the expense of everything else- sometimes with fast drivers as in the HD800, but always with uneven, peaky treble.  The HD650 is and has been for years one of if not the most popular headphone in it's price range because it has a natural, peak free sound signature that is well rounded in it's strengths and is about more than just detail.   Before the LCD-2, the only upgrade path from the HD650 was the Stax Omega2, which is hugely expensive and requires a complete change of equipment.  For people who invested a lot in their HD650 rigs and didn't want to let them go, the O2 was not an option, and the HD650, a 400 dollar headphone, was as far as they could go if they liked that sound signature. 

So the LCD-2 doesn't need to be the most comfortable, or the most refined looking (I personally like how they look), or have the nicest cables, and it doesn't even need to sound perfect (I think it is very close to perfect), because it has no competition.  If you like that sound signature and want something in the price range between HD650 and O2, or you dont' like the 650, or you want the best headphone with that sig but can't afford the 02 or don't want an electrostatic rig, than the LCD-2 is the only option.  And I think a lot of people fall into that category. 

The LCD-2 thread is so huge and people are so enthusiastic about them not because of "hype" but because I think people have waited a long time for a headphone like the LCD-2.  I think a lot of people felt stuck with the HD650, or were, maybe for years, desperately wanting something with that signature but without the slow sound it has.  I am the same way.  I've gone through so so so many headphones and been so frustrated by the lack of variety (they all have tons of treble/upper mids), I even resorted to buying old vintage headphones that were made when manufacturers had different priorities.   And so the LCD-2 was like "FINALLY!!!"  Unfortunately I hear a reverb/ringing issue with them, but the company themselves are really my only hope for a good high end headphone, because they seem to be the only manufacturer who is catering to music lovers who do not listen analytically. 

I just hope they can work on perfecting the LCD-2 without falling into the trap of elevated treble in an attempt to please those who find them "dark and bassy". 

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #27 of 193
Hype can be generated from users and not just companies. There’s tons of hype about the LCD2 on head-fi. It results in people who have never heard one suddenly clamouring for one. there’s nothing necessarily wrong with this, btw.

I think the LCD2 is overrated because it was too dark and too uncomfortable. It was mentioned here that it sounded like great speakers in a great room but that’s not the sense I got at all.

My speakers don’t have that withdrawn midrange. they have tons of bass (they’re salk song towers) but that bass doesn’t eclipse the remaining frequency range the way the LCD2s did on my head. that’s mainly why I was so disappointed with them. I did not get the sense that they sounded right. 

I think the simplest answer for their popularity here is that Head-fi, as an aggregate, really loves that darkish sound. hence the love for the LCD2 at the high end and the HD650 one step lower.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #28 of 193

Quote:
Hype can be generated from users and not just companies. There’s tons of hype about the LCD2 on head-fi. It results in people who have never heard one suddenly clamouring for one. there’s nothing necessarily wrong with this, btw.

I think the LCD2 is overrated because it was too dark and too uncomfortable. It was mentioned here that it sounded like great speakers in a great room but that’s not the sense I got at all.

My speakers don’t have that withdrawn midrange. they have tons of bass (they’re salk song towers) but that bass doesn’t eclipse the remaining frequency range the way the LCD2s did on my head. that’s mainly why I was so disappointed with them. I did not get the sense that they sounded right. 

I think the simplest answer for their popularity here is that Head-fi, as an aggregate, really loves that darkish sound. hence the love for the LCD2 at the high end and the HD650 one step lower.

Totally agree with this.

As someone who DOES NOT prefer the darker sound, its hard not to feel like a minority around here.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #29 of 193
When one take a good look at the popularity of darker sounding headphones, is it really surprising?  While the they might not grab the listeners attention quite like the more treble centric headphones like Grados do for example, they do however have trait that most of the other treble centric headphones don't have and that is fatigue free listening sessions.  With the amount of hours we spend each week listening to our various gears it's hard to down play the possible effect it may have on our hearing long term. 

The darker sound is what I like to call the hearing saving sound signature.
tongue_smile.gif
  That is not to say that using darker sounding headphones means one cannot still get hearing loss from them if played at higher than safe levels, and at same I don't want to imply that some who listens to bright headphones is more at risk for hearing loss than someone who doesn't.  At least with darker headphones your ears won't be complaining as much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back