What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Aug 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #76 of 240
That is my experience from comparative listening (I had the S:flo2, Touch 2g and Fuze at the time [SM3 & MDs as IEMs]), you can't just try discredit me by calling it nonsense when you have nothing to provide with grounds

In addition compare the S:Flo2 graph to the X graph. Pretty much sums up my findings, rolloffs are going to be there no matter the individual. Stereo crosstalk correlates with my listening of the DAPs soudstage and just as I heard it a while back finding these graphs proved my findings of compressed soundstage. Wish Shigzeo was around, he elaborated on this a lot more than I on his TouchMyApps posts. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #78 of 240
I just got the studio v directly from hisoundaudio. Really like the form factor and simplicity in operating the player. Still burning in and will probably make a better impression after at least 100 hours as recommended by hisoundaudio. So far I like the sound coming from the player with my ex1000 and t5p. I think it is definitely better than iPod stock and also has less coloration than cowon players (got a cowon c2). The bundled cystal iem also pair very well with the studio v, though it is probably not the best iem around. Will post more impressions after I have burn in the player. Cheers.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #79 of 240

Quote:
I just got the studio v directly from hisoundaudio. Really like the form factor and simplicity in operating the player. Still burning in and will probably make a better impression after at least 100 hours as recommended by hisoundaudio. So far I like the sound coming from the player with my ex1000 and t5p. I think it is definitely better than iPod stock and also has less coloration than cowon players (got a cowon c2). The bundled cystal iem also pair very well with the studio v, though it is probably not the best iem around. Will post more impressions after I have burn in the player. Cheers.

Please do that I'm curious on your impressions and what cans your player can drive

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #80 of 240

Quote:
Please do that I'm curious on your impressions and what cans your player can drive

I have a two part in depth review coming soon...

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #81 of 240
I miss my D-25s...should have never sold that sucker. :frowning2: Does that even count, lol?

Anyway...

Cowon S9: Artificial mechanical sound no matter what settings I played with.
Sony S616?: Not bad
Sony X: Very much enjoyed this. :)!!
iPod Touch 2nd/3rd?: ok, but a little boring? Hard to explain this one.
Zune HD: The only one I still have. Paired with the TF10s and a stupid smile on my face. I love the synergy here.
HTC Thunderbolt: I am disappoint. :frowning2:

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #82 of 240
I received my Sansa Fuze and rockboxed it, it goes via the fiio lod in my E7 and i'm quite disappointed. I really do prefer the sound of my Zune 80 through the E7. Maybe I need to understand how to tweak the sound better on rockbox but right now for me the SQ is :
Cowon O2 > Zune 80 > Sansa Fuze

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #83 of 240
Again, people in this forum keep overating Sansa series players.  My Sansa Fuze sitting junk in my car for long time already.

Rio Karma / B9 are the players that I like to listen everyday.

Quote:
I received my Sansa Fuze and rockboxed it, it goes via the fiio lod in my E7 and i'm quite disappointed. I really do prefer the sound of my Zune 80 through the E7. Maybe I need to understand how to tweak the sound better on rockbox but right now for me the SQ is :

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #84 of 240

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, if you go headphone-out to the E7 instead of using the LOD, does it sound any different?

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #85 of 240

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if you go headphone-out to the E7 instead of using the LOD, does it sound any different?

Just tested with my GR07 and I do not really notice a difference. I really find the sound muddy and dark compared to the zune which is really clear and soft. I disabled all the EQ and stuff on both E7 and Sansa and i really do not enjoy it. Maybe the Fuze doesn't get any benefits from the E7 and just got worst. I really do enjoy the couple Zune / E7 because it adds the deepness in the bass that the Zune doesn't provide.

I've made some test of the Fuze without the E7, it's cleaner without the E7 but I still feel that it's too bassy and the bass are covering the rest if you don't play with the EQ. What's weird is that with the LOD to the E7 it seemed that playing with the EQ didn't change anything...

I guess it'll be my really portable device when I do not want to move around with the brick Fuz/E7.

edit: i hear some cracking in my GR07 via the Fuze with E7 and alone, maybe i got a defect unit... But that doesn't happen with my O2 nor the Zune/E7. It won't even be my portable device :p
edit²: it looks like the Brainwavz M2 are less subject to those cracking. So duo M2 / Fuze might be my ultra portable system, but I feel a little bit lost :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #86 of 240
Been listening to my good old iPod video 5G lately.  D.amn.  I don't know why it's been collecting dust in the drawer for so long, sounds quite wicked. 

A little colder, slightly metallic but crisper than what I've been listening to, but sounds pretty crystal clear.  It does handle the higher frequencies in a bit curious manner, a bit harsher than I would prefer, but regardless, have to say this is the best sounding, well, at least, cleanest sounding DAP I've heard atm.  Good sound stage, as well.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #87 of 240

Quote:
I haven't seen much mention of the s:flo2 (aka teclast t51) in this thread. I'm curious to hear the general consensus on that; it seems like it might not be the easiest player to acquire, but I haven't really come across too much that seems to be negative about it other than the UI(then again, I suppose I haven't looked that hard). The audio quality is allegedly unmatched, and I don't think it looks particularly abrasive or obnoxious. Is it worth investing? I'm currently using a rockbox'd clip+, and it's not that I don't enjoy it, but to be entirely honest it's nice to have a new toy to play with every once in a while and any increase in quality is welcome, no matter how diminishing the returns are :p (welcome to head-fi eh?
wink.gif
)

I went from a clip+ to an S:flo2 and even after 3 years I am still amazed by how wholesomely good it is. In that time I have tried a Cowon and various ipods and they just dont come close. The headphone out is 90% (and wipes the floor with anything I have used previously) there but the real winner is the line out which is just sensational for a portable anything.
The factory UI is clunky but with firmware update 2.3 its fine. A few more screen taps to navigate around than in a perfect world and the lack of gapless playback are the only downsides IMO.
Plays more formats than you can poke a stick at, high def video.. reasonable battery life... micro sd slot.. metal case.. twin wolfson wm8740 dacs.. 
If mine breaks im getting another asap.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #88 of 240

Quote:

I went from a clip+ to an S:flo2 and even after 3 years I am still amazed by how wholesomely good it is. In that time I have tried a Cowon and various ipods and they just dont come close. The headphone out is 90% (and wipes the floor with anything I have used previously) there but the real winner is the line out which is just sensational for a portable anything.
The factory UI is clunky but with firmware update 2.3 its fine. A few more screen taps to navigate around than in a perfect world and the lack of gapless playback are the only downsides IMO.
Plays more formats than you can poke a stick at, high def video.. reasonable battery life... micro sd slot.. metal case.. twin wolfson wm8740 dacs.. 
If mine breaks im getting another asap.

Last time I checked MP4 Nation doesn't carry them anymore. Any pics of the player with firmware update 2.3 available anywhere?

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #90 of 240
Ultra portable use with easy to drive headphones & IEM's: iDevice
Portable use for easy to medium to drive headphones: HiFiMan HM-601 or 602
Portable use for going on long vacations: HiFiMan HM-801 & HD800, LCD-2, HE-500, or anything high end.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back