What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Aug 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #61 of 240

Quote:
Can somebody share Inks's opinion?

I am listening to a Touch 3G, but i find it quite bad. I hope the Cowons are (alot) clearer and have bigger soundstage. 
Is there any way you can actually test a Cowon in a store?

What type of files, iems etc. I think that's a particularly good player if the IEM impedance isn't ridiculously low.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #62 of 240
I'm in a similar conundrum.

I've got a 4th Gen iPod with an 8GB compact flash card in it. It's not doing a great job driving my dbi Pro 700s (300 ohm I think). It's definitely not bad, but compared to my driving my dbi Pros through a home amp it is severely lacking and I can't live with that.
I'm wondering if I should keep maintaining the iPod and LOD it to either a Fiio E11 or a PA2V2..... or just getting a new DAP altogether.

Digital Freak: I've heard of the Meizu player. you can find them sold under "Dane-Elec" at walgreens or similar drug stores. They are super cheap for what you get features wise. I haven't head much about it in terms of quality.

e2: I searched and found this thread for you. I'll do more searching and report back.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/195151/meizu-m6-mini-player-anyone

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #63 of 240

Quote:
Quick answear - Sony X - greatest dap ever
bigsmile_face.gif

I second this, there are hifi players out there, but for overall balance in battery life, features, interface, SQ, and size. I prefer the X. When I get customs (I've already picked out my first) I hope to use my X without an amp, for a HIGHLY portable solution

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #64 of 240

Quote:
I'm in a similar conundrum.

I've got a 4th Gen iPod with an 8GB compact flash card in it. It's not doing a great job driving my dbi Pro 700s (300 ohm I think). It's definitely not bad, but compared to my driving my dbi Pros through a home amp it is severely lacking and I can't live with that.
I'm wondering if I should keep maintaining the iPod and LOD it to either a Fiio E11 or a PA2V2..... or just getting a new DAP altogether.

Digital Freak: I've heard of the Meizu player. you can find them sold under "Dane-Elec" at walgreens or similar drug stores. They are super cheap for what you get features wise. I haven't head much about it in terms of quality.

e2: I searched and found this thread for you. I'll do more searching and report back.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/195151/meizu-m6-mini-player-anyone

Thanks Sandwich that thread was helpful. The handle you chose for Head-Fi is hilarious by the way lol.

OK I've had some quality time with my new Clip+ maybe a total of 7 or 8 hours off and on. Thus far I've only mated it with Grado SR60i when I'm home and my Sennheiser HD25-1 II Adidas can's when I'm on the go. Maybe I just don't have the golden ears everyone else on here has but my findings so far are with my Grado's there's some very minor differences here and there and on my Sennheiser's there's really no noticeable difference to really report back on. I can't say the little Clip+ sounds any worse then my iPod 3rd gen but I also can't say it sounds any better either. I'm generally pleased with the sound overall considering the low price tag on the Clip+ but I was hoping to move up a few rungs in DAP's as far as sound quality is concerned. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and when I have more time I plan to pair it with my Bayer DT1350's and Sony XB's hoping it yields better results. Has anyone else on here had the same experience I just described? Maybe I should just forget using can's and try maybe getting some good IEM's for the Clip+?

In regards to some of the posters who recommended the Sony X series, I'm an old Sony fan boy going as far back as the mid 80's. At one time I thought Sony couldn't be touched by anyone when it involved electronics but over the years I unfortunately lost faith in the company. One side of me would love to try out a X series player but another side of me says save the money you'll probably be disappointed. Sony over the last decade or so has been putting out different player after player with no sign of making up their minds which player to ultimately stay with. Over the last 15 years I've seen Sony DAP's ranging in shape from say a lighter to an over sized pen to a bean shape of all things. You guys seriously think Sony has finally made up it's mind and will stay with the X series indefinitely? I really don't want to invest in a Sony DAP that sounds no different or worse then my iPod and will only disappear in 2 or 3 years time.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #65 of 240
^its better than an Ipod, 1st 4th gen Itouches, and 5.5gen Video at least

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #66 of 240

Quote:
^its better than an Ipod, 1st 4th gen Itouches, and 5.5gen Video at least

Well I decided to do some quick research on the X Series. I found it rather strange that when I went to Sony Style Canada it had the link to the X Series there but when I clicked on it it took me to the S Series players. I then decided to search on the Canadian site Future Shop and got all the Sony players listed except the X Series. More searching around and I found it wasn't even available on the American Amazon site which I found really strange. A little more searching on Google as to why I was getting nothing for the X Series on sites that should have had it listed turned this little thread up.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54084

That thread is a perfect example of why I lost faith in Sony as far as MP3 players are concerned.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #67 of 240

Quote:
 Over the last 15 years I've seen Sony DAP's ranging in shape from say a lighter to an over sized pen to a bean shape of all things. You guys seriously think Sony has finally made up it's mind and will stay with the X series indefinitely? I really don't want to invest in a Sony DAP that sounds no different or worse then my iPod and will only disappear in 2 or 3 years time.

As a Sony fan-boy, this, to me, is a non-issue mostly because of the sturdiness of the Walkmen I've owned.  My nano started malfunctioning several months after purchase.  My HM-602 quit on me after 2 weeks.  My Touch was fine, but since I sold it after a few months, I can't speak to its longevity.  My clip+ has lasted, but mainly because it stays in my drawer.  All of my Sony players, from my first discman (5 year run, nearly constant [ab]use) to my slide-loading D-EJ01 (which, last I checked a few years ago, still runs), and my A728 (3 year run in which I've dropped it more times than I can count; it still runs) have made me feel confident about the build quality of Sony Walkmen.  This is also why I could care less about their customer service; I never use it.

Yes, Sony switches designs frequently, though I feel it must be an organizational issue where they replace product managers or design staff frequently.  Yes, if you search on here, you will hear of wildly discrepant sound quality between models.  But the few (maybe I've gotten lucky) Sony audio products that I've owned sound great, have usable UIs and EQs, and never quit.  

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #69 of 240
The X series was discontinued, I thought you knew this.
I don't think the A series is its direct replacement, I think something else is coming, in the meantime, I asked my sony friend for his price on the A he'll get back to me soon.
Hmmm I posted in that thread on ABI (I requested to be banned BTW)

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #70 of 240
I personally dislike the X, the soundstage is compressed and it rapes the frequency response of sensitive BA IEMs and low impedance headphones/IEMs with roll-offs on both ends. It has a colored and fun sound, but not hi-fi imo. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #71 of 240
I haven't seen much mention of the s:flo2 (aka teclast t51) in this thread. I'm curious to hear the general consensus on that; it seems like it might not be the easiest player to acquire, but I haven't really come across too much that seems to be negative about it other than the UI(then again, I suppose I haven't looked that hard). The audio quality is allegedly unmatched, and I don't think it looks particularly abrasive or obnoxious. Is it worth investing? I'm currently using a rockbox'd clip+, and it's not that I don't enjoy it, but to be entirely honest it's nice to have a new toy to play with every once in a while and any increase in quality is welcome, no matter how diminishing the returns are :p (welcome to head-fi eh?
wink.gif
)

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #72 of 240
People are fed up writing same things all over again:read old threads - you will find many enthusiastic opinions
and some - to the contrary - dissapointments.It depends how much enthusiasm you have for SQ and what is left for inconvinience.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #74 of 240
I haven't seen much mention of the s:flo2 (aka teclast t51) in this thread. I'm curious to hear the general consensus on that; it seems like it might not be the easiest player to acquire, but I haven't really come across too much that seems to be negative about it other than the UI(then again, I suppose I haven't looked that hard). The audio quality is allegedly unmatched, and I don't think it looks particularly abrasive or obnoxious. Is it worth investing? I'm currently using a rockbox'd clip+, and it's not that I don't enjoy it, but to be entirely honest it's nice to have a new toy to play with every once in a while and any increase in quality is welcome, no matter how diminishing the returns are :p (welcome to head-fi eh?
wink.gif
)

The sflo2 is the best sounding DAP of the ones I've heard including the Hifiman 601/602,SonyX,J3.... Second best will be the IP4.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #75 of 240

Quote:
I personally dislike the X, the soundstage is compressed and it rapes the frequency response of sensitive BA IEMs and low impedance headphones/IEMs with roll-offs on both ends. It has a colored and fun sound, but not hi-fi imo.

Nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back