What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Aug 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #91 of 240
I had an IPOD 60 GB and a Sansa Clip+ (talking about value for the money!).
Both of these had Rockbox installed (recommended).

When you want a large capacity fun player with potent audio capabilities (unlike Ipods)
then I can highly recommend the Cowon X7 160 GB model. The touchscreen needs a
little time to get used to, but the rest of it makes more than up for it.
Also, there are the custom UCI user skins that you can use to tune it further for your own likings
(eg. let it have the Cowon J3 user interface!).

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #92 of 240
I have the Sony X and the Rockboxed Sansa Clip, the X sounds much better than the clip when paired with my SM3, the best i´ve owned so far

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #95 of 240
According to benchmarking the best sounding DAP is a smartphone and a tablet !!!!
confused_face_2.gif

Oh man the MP3 player industry needs to wake up

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #96 of 240

No offense, but you need to learn more about RMMA (link should help) most of those graphs aren't saying much because they aren't properly measured, the Markus Kraus ones are the only proper graphs. Loaded tests with low impedance IEMs or headphones are the most useful ones. 

According to benchmarking the best sounding DAP is a smartphone and a tablet !!!!
confused_face_2.gif

Oh man the MP3 player industry needs to wake up

Nope, read above. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #97 of 240
I'd like to know if anyone who has posted in this thread has ever compared sound quality of any of the following:

Cowan iAudio 9 vs. Sony Walkman E Series vs. Sony Walkman S Series vs. Sansa Clip (+) vs. Sansa Fuze (+) vs. Creative ZEN/Mozaic Series vs. Sflo:2

Does anyone have an opinion of these, based (primarily) on overall SQ?

I use IEM's (exclusively), and listen to a lot of Classic Rock from the '60's, '70's, and '80's. I do not consider myself a "basshead", but do like to hear BASS when it is there (but I really want to hear ALL of the sound).

Additionally, I do not use an amp, nor do I desire to try any type of LOD mod.

Hope this helps. . .

-Thanks 
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #98 of 240

Quote:
I'd like to know if anyone who has posted in this thread has ever compared sound quality of any of the following:

Cowan iAudio 9 vs. Sony Walkman E Series vs. Sony Walkman S Series vs. Sansa Clip (+) vs. Sansa Fuze (+) vs. Creative ZEN/Mozaic Series vs. Sflo:2

I use IEM's (exclusively), and listen to a lot of Classic Rock from the '60's, '70's, and '80's. I do not consider myself a "basshead", but do like to hear BASS when it is there (but I really want to hear ALL of the sound).

Hope this helps. . .

-Thanks 
cool.gif

Looks like you're investigating just like I am. I can't speak for the other models you mentioned but I have compared a clip+ to my 3 gen 64 gig iPod Touch and my 160 gig iPod Classic and I can honestly say the clip+ sounds no worse then my iPods. Maybe it's just me but the clip+ seems a little clearer on the top/bottom end of the frequency ranges while my iPods seem to have roll off. I must emphasize though that what I stated is just my subjective opinion and the differences in my opinion are very very minor. Considering the clip+ can be had for dirt cheap and is expandable to 32 gigs with a micro SD card color me impressed. I'll gladly take the clip+ over a Nano or a 32 gig iPod touch and throw the money I save towards other audio gear.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #99 of 240

Quote:
No offense, but you need to learn more about RMMA (link should help) most of those graphs aren't saying much because they aren't properly measured, the Markus Kraus ones are the only proper graphs. Loaded tests with low impedance IEMs or headphones are the most useful ones. 

Nope, read above. 

No offense taken and thanks for clearing things up. I'm glad to see I was wrong and jumped the gun. My quest for the ultimate DAP continues.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #100 of 240
I appreciate that a lot. I am very well acquainted with Apple products. I am using a Touch 8gb (4th gen) right now. But for personal reasons I am considering selling it, and using the money to buy something much less expensive, which primarily just plays music. I could care less about a speaker, or an FM radio, or LOD, or video capabilities, or the ability to record my own audio. All I care about is being about to PLAY my music (preferably from a playlist, which I create myself).

With all due respect to Apple, I am honestly not all that impressed with the SQ from my current Touch. And while I can say I have previously owned the 3rd gen Nano (as well as the 4th gen, and 6th gen --- but do not own any Nano's now, nor do I really want to get another one), however I can't honestly say I recall there being any SQ improvements with the 3rd gen Nano (which had a Wolfson sound card, if I'm not mistaken). . .I mean, it sounded fine, but nothing to write home about (I was probably using Bose IE's at the time, which might not have really helped much, either --- I don't have the Bose IE's anymore, either).

But, again I appreciate your opinions, etc.!!!

Quote:
Looks like you're investigating just like I am. I can't speak for the other models you mentioned but I have compared a clip+ to my 3 gen 64 gig iPod Touch and my 160 gig iPod Classic and I can honestly say the clip+ sounds no worse then my iPods. Maybe it's just me but the clip+ seems a little clearer on the top/bottom end of the frequency ranges while my iPods seem to have roll off. I must emphasize though that what I stated is just my subjective opinion and the differences in my opinion are very very minor. Considering the clip+ can be had for dirt cheap and is expandable to 32 gigs with a micro SD card color me impressed. I'll gladly take the clip+ over a Nano or a 32 gig iPod touch and throw the money I save towards other audio gear.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #101 of 240

Quote:

Hope this helps. . .

-Thanks 
cool.gif

I have the Sony X, Clip, Iphone 4, Ipad 2 and  the best sounding is the X followed by the Iphone 4, Clip, Ipad 2 when paired with the SM3.

And about those RMMA graphs i dont think they reflect much of real world performance just my 2 cents

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #102 of 240
Thanks alot for your response(s).

As far as the Sony X goes, am I correct in stating that it is no longer in production? Also, is that a TouchScreen device? I am not really wanting another touchscreen device if I can avoid it. I've read about how some of them (if they are too overly sensitive) can skip to another song even while you leave the device sitting in your pocket, for example. 

I've been doing a lot of reading up. So far, it is almost impossible to beat the reviews given by people (mostly on Amazon) who have bought the Cowan iAudio 9 (on the basis of SQ, alone, that is).  But alas, as it turns out the iAudio 9 is, of all things. . .a touchscreen device. . .arrgggghhhh!!!

So, I don't know what I'm gonna do, as of yet. I'll keep reading up and doing research for now. Not going to rush into anything at the moment. I've read that the SQ of both the Sony E series and S series is really great, and no touchscreen!! So, while I've got my eye on those 2 options, I am still looking into the Fuze+, as well (I have decided the Clip+ is probably not for me --- I don't need a clip on the back (which I'll probably never use, btw) that I can't remove). I also like the bigger screen and overall form factor of the Fuze+ (vs. that of the Clip+).

But when all is said and done, I might just give in, and get me the iAudio 9, after all (despite the (touch)-screen, because it doesn't seem like I'm going to find anything with as good SQ in this price range.

Maybe the Sflo:2. . .any ideas? Does anyone know where to buy them? I can't find anyplace online. . .are they even supported (ie --- warranty, customer service, etc.)? 

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #103 of 240
The Fuze+ has the same type of touch controls as the iAudio9, FYI.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #104 of 240
The i9 isn't a touchscreen but a touchpad. Check some videos on youtube to understand it :wink:

Quote:
Thanks alot for your response(s).

As far as the Sony X goes, am I correct in stating that it is no longer in production? Also, is that a TouchScreen device? I am not really wanting another touchscreen device if I can avoid it. I've read about how some of them (if they are too overly sensitive) can skip to another song even while you leave the device sitting in your pocket, for example. 

I've been doing a lot of reading up. So far, it is almost impossible to beat the reviews given by people (mostly on Amazon) who have bought the Cowan iAudio 9 (on the basis of SQ, alone, that is).  But alas, as it turns out the iAudio 9 is, of all things. . .a touchscreen device. . .arrgggghhhh!!!

So, I don't know what I'm gonna do, as of yet. I'll keep reading up and doing research for now. Not going to rush into anything at the moment. I've read that the SQ of both the Sony E series and S series is really great, and no touchscreen!! So, while I've got my eye on those 2 options, I am still looking into the Fuze+, as well (I have decided the Clip+ is probably not for me --- I don't need a clip on the back (which I'll probably never use, btw) that I can't remove). I also like the bigger screen and overall form factor of the Fuze+ (vs. that of the Clip+).

But when all is said and done, I might just give in, and get me the iAudio 9, after all (despite the (touch)-screen, because it doesn't seem like I'm going to find anything with as good SQ in this price range.

Maybe the Sflo:2. . .any ideas? Does anyone know where to buy them? I can't find anyplace online. . .are they even supported (ie --- warranty, customer service, etc.)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back