What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Aug 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #106 of 240
@Achmedisdead:  Yeah, I was beginning to wonder about that (based on the stuff I've been reading about it). Thanks!

@Mukumi:  Thanks for that clarification. I appreciate that info.

@Kiteki:  I appreciate this info also. You can really learn a lot from this website (Head-Fi).

I'll check those links out soon!!

So, the Teclast T51, huh? I wonder how its SQ fares against that of the i9. . .any guesses? 

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #108 of 240
I've had various Sansa players ... Apple players ... Creative lab players ... etc, ... and hands down, the S:flo 2 (aka Teclast T51) smokes them all.,  The dual DAC architecture is battery hungry but really does provide a more "hi-fi" ... "high end" sound in a portable. I'm picky and it's made a believer out of me over the past year or so. I use it with an Arrow HE amp and that combination is toe curling ... really gorgeous sound. The headphone out of the S:flo 2 is also no slouch but I prefer the Arrow via line out.

That said ... purchase the S:flo 2 with care as the UI takes some compromising to live with ... I"ve worked mine out to where it works exactly as I need it too and I can live with the shoddy UI since the sound is so good. It's a very 3 dimensional sounding DAP, very good soundstage and dynamics ... 

Good luck on your hunt.

.j

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #109 of 240
Thanks, man. I'll admit, I do feel somewhat pursuaded thus far, however I did go to the website (the other person posted). I see it shows a battery life of about 10 hours. Ouch. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but. . .just ouch.

But I'll certainly keep this player in mind, for sure!!

Quote:
I've had various Sansa players ... Apple players ... Creative lab players ... etc, ... and hands down, the S:flo 2 (aka Teclast T51) smokes them all.,  The dual DAC architecture is battery hungry but really does provide a more "hi-fi" ... "high end" sound in a portable. I'm picky and it's made a believer out of me over the past year or so. I use it with an Arrow HE amp and that combination is toe curling ... really gorgeous sound. The headphone out of the S:flo 2 is also no slouch but I prefer the Arrow via line out.

That said ... purchase the S:flo 2 with care as the UI takes some compromising to live with ... I"ve worked mine out to where it works exactly as I need it too and I can live with the shoddy UI since the sound is so good. It's a very 3 dimensional sounding DAP, very good soundstage and dynamics ... 

Good luck on your hunt.

.j

Quote:
I had the Cowon S9 before and sold it within a week due to sound quality issues, I've had the Teclast T51 for a year.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #110 of 240
Realistically ... the battery life is more like 8 hours per charge ... (worse OUCH) .. :wink: ... but like the shoddy UI? I've learned to live with it.

Quote:
Thanks, man. I'll admit, I do feel somewhat pursuaded thus far, however I did go to the website (the other person posted). I see it shows a battery life of about 10 hours. Ouch. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but. . .just ouch.

But I'll certainly keep this player in mind, for sure!!

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #111 of 240
The top two daps I have ever owned ( have not used the HM801 or the C4 ) would be the Cowan J3 and the Colorfly Ck4. 

The Ck4 is smooth, silky and has a massive soundstage, very airy with good separation, low output as the Fuze and J3 have higher output levels.  This dap is the most ideal dap for home use and full size amplification.  Its sound and presentation is unbiased and natural, simple ideal.  Poor UI, lacking features.

The J3 is punchy and slightly colored when compared to the CK4 using the same songs and EQ disabled.  Its stage is noticeably smaller but overall sound quality is not that far off from the Ck4.  It is not vast and expansive as the colorfly, but overall it is still the best truly portable dap I have ever used.  It is more than sufficient to drive my Edition 8 without problems.  The colorfly was lacking and volume had to max out before it would sound great.  The UI is amazing, the EQ presets are astoundingly awesome.  Crystal clear sounds incredible with my edition 8 and Leckerton UHA4.  Wow is all I can say.  ( The Colorfly did a better job ) but considering the J3 is smaller and has a million more features than the colorfly, its a feat and a half and is without question the dap I will stick with until something significantly nicer comes out

both daps are amaazing, the J3 for portable use, the Ck4 for home use.  Cant do better imo

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #112 of 240
Who cares, as long as it sounds good. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #116 of 240
My Ck4 cost me $250US from musicaacoustics.com and I just sold it two days ago right here on head fi for $175 after price dropping it a few times.  Nobody wanted it, apparently.  I had not heard of the T51 until you mentioned it.

Btw, if the dap sounds good and has a terrible UI or has some hardware problems...I think you would care :p 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #117 of 240
The Teclast T51 is rebranded in North America as the S:Flo 2.

It has a huge touchscreen and the UI is perfectly fine and quick to navigate for someone like me that organizes music in directories (Flac/mp3 -> genre -> artist -> album -> song).

If I knew you were selling the Ck4 I might have been curious, btw why did you sell it, if it was so amazing? Or are you saying it had UI and hardware issues? Low output?

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #119 of 240
Nope, don't think they are. I think the clip+'s internals are probably of higher quality. Pretty sure the IP4 and 3GS use better internals as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back