What would you like to see for the next Audeze headphone?
Sep 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #46 of 54

Quote:
The LCD-2 is incredibly efficient.  I'd rather them go the other direction and see what they can gain by sacrificing some efficiency.  My ideal headphone would have the same sound signature but without the reverb effect, and without the heavy wood and frame.  Plastic or thinner metal or something would be great even if it didn't look as classy.

An all aluminum frame + leather headband a la Stax 7/9s would be superb.

And... Moar Trebels!
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #49 of 54
Less variability between drivers?

I've seen the two set of measures for the LCD-2 rev1 by Tyll, there's a significant variation between these two. Likewise Purrin's measures show a significant variation between the left and right channels. If those problems haven't been solved with the rev-2 yet, better quality control or manufacturing process for the LCD-3 is a must. Aside from that less shelving from 4-5 kHz on and less ringing.

Also, better wood work or full aluminum structure would be very cool. I can just imagine an LCD-3 with the SR009 finish or a wooden one one with a 20 coat polyurethane finish.

PS: I also magnesium cups like the ones on the Sony Z1000, they simply are fantastic, they feel indestructible, I think it has some sort of steampunk classiness that would match Audez'e image quite well.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #50 of 54
Less variability between drivers?

I've seen the two set of measures for the LCD-2 rev1 by Tyll, there's a significant variation between these two. Likewise Purrin's measures show a significant variation between the left and right channels. If those problems haven't been solved with the rev-2 yet, better quality control or manufacturing process for the LCD-3 is a must. Aside from that less shelving from 4-5 kHz on and less ringing.

PS: I also magnesium cups like the ones on the Sony Z1000, they simply are fantastic, they feel indestructible, I think it has some sort of steampunk classiness that would match Audez'e image quite well.

My impression from subjective listening tests of at least 9 pairs of LCD2 is that consistency is poor. The L-R level matching (as well as the curve matching) of the pair I measured is unacceptable for a ~ $1000 headphone. I'm not prepared to make any blanket statements yet until I get my hands on more LCD2s to measure.

I wish STAX had made the 009 cups in magnesium!

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #52 of 54
1. Headband for sure.
2. Expand on the good mids somehow?  Don't change too much, don't want to mess around too much with a good thing.  Small changes.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #53 of 54
The next Audeze headphone will have a tough act to follow.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #54 of 54
Physically, little bit less weight, slightly cushier headband and pads.

Sonically? Not much, just refinements if anything, broader sound stage if anything, whilst retaining the bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back