What would you like to see for the next Audeze headphone?
Aug 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone actually know what they are working on next?

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 54
I'd love to see what they could do with a closed can! 

fyi, you can easily drive the LCD-2 from an ipod

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 54
I voted for "Something else not listed above." IMHO the LCD-2 has room for some pretty substantial improvements. There was no option for that opinion.

I could never get over the comfort issues of the two pairs of LCD-2s I owned. Compared to something like the HD-800 or some of the Stax gear the LCD-2 is clearly second rate in the comfort department. To be specific I was bothered by the weight and the headband. I'm not someone to put comfort ahead of sonics, but if the comfort isn't there (and it wasnt for me) then it doesn't really matter how good they sound. If they can fix some of the comfort issues in the LCD-3 I'll have to check it out.

I heard the treble issues are supposed to be somewhat improved in the Rev.2 models, but in the two pairs of Rev.1s I owned the dark treble was a deal breaker for me.

Improve those two areas and they will be well on their way to another smash hit.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 54
  1. The sound of the LCD-2, but fix the (small) dip around 3-5kHz that I've seen in every graph. I'm EQing it slightly, but not bothered by it. Might as well strive for perfection though, right?
  2. Angled drivers to improve perceived soundstage and imaging.
  3. Greater emphasis on comfort.
  4. A more stylish look. I like the retro streampunk thrown-together-in-a-garage thing it has going on, but it's pretty hideous compared to the beautiful Beyerdynamic T1 and the understated black of the Hifiman planars.
  5. Please DON'T boost the treble. A warm option in the high-end tier is sorely needed. I don't want brighter. At most I would try a HE-500. Give us something to use with neutral amps, which is what the LCD-2 seems to be made for.

I expect they're working on a cheaper lighter alternative, maybe a closed can. Or maybe they're working on a new flagship (is it a "flagship" if you only have one headphone?) to secure a strong position in the new planar market first.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:
Anyone actually know what they are working on next?

is there any reason to think that they are actually working on something else or is this idle chatter or wishful thinking?

Quote:
I voted for "Something else not listed above." IMHO the LCD-2 has room for some pretty substantial improvements. There was no option for that opinion.

I could never get over the comfort issues of the two pairs of LCD-2s I owned. Compared to something like the HD-800 or some of the Stax gear the LCD-2 is clearly second rate in the comfort department. To be specific I was bothered by the weight and the headband. I'm not someone to put comfort ahead of sonics, but if the comfort isn't there (and it wasnt for me) then it doesn't really matter how good they sound. If they can fix some of the comfort issues in the LCD-3 I'll have to check it out.

I heard the treble issues are supposed to be somewhat improved in the Rev.2 models, but in the two pairs of Rev.1s I owned the dark treble was a deal breaker for me.

this post pretty much sums it up, imo. i find the phone uncomfortable and not particularly alive.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 54

"I'm not someone to put comfort ahead of sonics, but if the comfort isn't there (and it wasnt for me) then it doesn't really matter how good they sound."

Uh. Isn't that a contradiction?

Anyway, I wish that Audeze doesn't issue any new headphone before 2 years down the road. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 54
please don't turn into hifi-man, turning out new models every quarter it seems.
at least not until they develop something that's substantially different/better
enough to call it a lcd-3.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 54

Quote:
fyi, you can easily drive the LCD-2 from an ipod

I've tried with two different pre-iPod-Touch ipods and neither has sufficient volume, plus the base is not at all controlled.  Maybe the newer iPods have more power than my older ones.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 54

Quote:
is there any reason to think that they are actually working on something else or is this idle chatter or wishful thinking?

They would be crappy businessmen if they weren't working on something to release once saturation of the LCD-2 was hit and sales decline significantly.

And like takezo said, if the quality isn't there on subsequent releases they can ruin brand excitment and reputation very quickly.  I know I am very leary of buying another headphone from HiFiMan after that HE-5 purchase.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:
They would be crappy businessmen if they weren't working on something to release once saturation of the LCD-2 was hit and sales decline significantly.

i was under the impression that this was a sideline for these guys, and that they had regular other employment that was their primary responsibility, no? i've had poor results with communications from them.  while i haven't kept intense watch on all the audeze threads i recall reading about a number of qc/failure issues with the phones, although it does seem like they don't leave the customers dangling. the headphone gear business is often made up of small, not quite fully realized, businesses of varying reliability. while they may be interesting designers, i'm not sure how good, or not good, they are as businessmen. time will tell.

Quote:
And like takezo said, if the quality isn't there on subsequent releases they can ruin brand excitment and reputation very quickly.  I know I am very leary of buying another headphone from HiFiMan after that HE-5 purchase.

what problems did you have with your he5? i've had good luck with hifiman and have found them very helpful when i had a problem with a set of re252s.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 54
As far as experience with HiFiMan...
I do have a Jade HE1.3 that hasn't had any problems and sounded great while I had an electrostatic amp.  But when I bought the HE-5 and EF-5, the HE-5 was horribly bright, and then developed a crack after a month, while the EF-5 developed a bad connection in the headphone jack.  I sent them back, but they lost my order after receipt.  After a month and a half I got them back, and the HE-5 now sounded very different with the new pad they put in it to tame the highs.  It still doesn't sound really good, and a few months later they came out with the LE version.

Yeah, I know you take your risks buying a v1.0 release of just about anything, and I'm a little more careful now.  I waited until now to get an LCD-2, despite all the hype.

Not to say Audeze is a lot better with their own quality problems and design changes within a revision, etc.  But I personally don't feel they try to rush things out the door and let the customers be the beta testers, as I feel HiFiMan has done.  But this is all just my biased opinion, and I realize there are bad experiences from just about every manufacturer out there.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 54
Engineer them better lower the coast of production and pass the savings on the consumer.  

Really though I wish a big company like Sennheiser would make some planar magnetic headphones.   Would get a product of equal or better quality and would most likely be much cheaper.   Also i would not have to deal with a start up that may or may not be there 5 years from now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back