What was your first headphone purchase after coming to Head-Fi?
Jul 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #796 of 911
HE-400 for me. Also got a Bifrost after researching it here. Kevin

I had the HD555 and I came here to check out what was out there... I ended up buying the HE-400s too! But I went with the Magni+Modi setup. My wallet was only mostly angry with me 
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #797 of 911

I had the HD555 and I came here to check out what was out there... I ended up buying the HE-400s too! But I went with the Magni+Modi setup. My wallet was only mostly angry with me 
wink.gif

Coming to Head-Fi is like a woman going to the mall. You walk in with one thing in mind, and you walk out with a billion other things and an empty wallet.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #801 of 911
Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

Coming to Head-Fi is like a woman going to the mall. You walk in with one thing in mind, and you walk out with a billion other things and an empty wallet.

LOL.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #807 of 911
I just joined today, but I've been lurking for months now.  The reason I decided to finally join was because today marked the arrival of my new pair of NVX XPT100s :-D.  For some reason a few months ago, I got the headphone bug and started digging into sub-$50 bang-for-the-buck offerings.  Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time reading on Head-Fi XD.

I listened to my friend's very expensive pair of Beats Pros at work, and I said to myself, Self, these sound terrible.  (I don't mean to fuel "Beats hate"; that's just what I thought of them, and it started me on my mission for better or worse.)  While I was looking into spending $30-50 on a pair of headphones, I bought a pair of JVC Flats (newest 160s, black) as a stopgap.  That was my first headphone purchase since I started lurking here, and they are really as good as everyone says they are for the money!  I still enjoy them as a lightweight offering, and I listen to them occasionally.

After much deliberation, considering the highly-praise JVC S400s among others, I stumbled upon the well-liked Monoprice 8323s, and that became my second purchase!  I was struck by the fact I could get 50mm drivers and a detachable cable for so cheap.  They didn't end up being quite as clean as I had hoped, but I've listened to a lot of music on them.  Good bass.

Anyway, I needed something with a little bit cleaner bass and a less-veiled sound.  I love a wide soundstage, but I really wanted to stick with closed headphones.  I've fallen in love with the idea of a detachable cable, so I wanted to retain that feature.  Comfort was more important to me than portability.  After much more deliberation (see a trend?), I ended up with the NVX XPT100s.  Everything I've read about them and their fellow clones made them sound like just what I wanted, and the price was right ($100 is really my upper range right now).  I'm happy to say they're meeting my expectations (I'm enjoying Dave Brubeck's Time Out right now).  I really like the angled pads.

Thank you to all you Head-Fiers who have helped me unwittingly!  I've always been more of a lurker, but I hope to become an involved member from here on out.  I know this isn't the introduction forum, but I wanted to post first in this thread because this sub-forum has meant the most to me and Head-Fi is responsible for the first three intentional headphone purchases of my life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back