What was your first headphone purchase after coming to Head-Fi?
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #722 of 911
Lol. You should have read reviews on C5 before buying them. B&W makes good speakers, but not headphones or iems.

Actually I read tons of reviews, but they were from Amazon and B&W. Thats what got me to look for an objective headphone forum which led to head-fi and an audiophile obsession that shows no sign of fading.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #723 of 911
[size=10.5px] Hi Folks,[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] I'm a newbie to Head-Fi.[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] I stumbled on Head-Fi when I was looking for a "portable amplifier for iPod". My ears were getting tired listening to the cheap Apple EarPods/earphones. Didn't realize there was a whole industry for portable audio gear. (Kinda strange that the Apple store doesn't carry any portable amps, but they sell various non-Apple headphones).[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] My first headphones was the Grado SR125.[/size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #724 of 911
Quote:
Actually I read tons of reviews, but they were from Amazon and B&W. Thats what got me to look for an objective headphone forum which led to head-fi and an audiophile obsession that shows no sign of fading.

That happens a lot. Scam! Any ways, head-fi is not totally objective at times, but at least it's more objective than amazon.

Quote:
[size=10.5px] Hi Folks,[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] I'm a newbie to Head-Fi.[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] I stumbled on Head-Fi when I was looking for a "portable amplifier for iPod". My ears were getting tired listening to the cheap Apple EarPods/earphones. Didn't realize there was a whole industry for portable audio gear. (Kinda strange that the Apple store doesn't carry any portable amps, but they sell various non-Apple headphones).[/size]
[size=10.5px]  [/size]
[size=10.5px] My first headphones was the Grado SR125.[/size]

How did you come across portable amp before joining head-fi? I never knew such thing existed before joining head-fi.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #725 of 911
I ran into Head-Fi by way of looking at reviews at Innerfidelity (and listening to Tyll's Youtube videos). I started ripping my Vinyl and CD collection to my desktop, and I knew that I'd need better headphones if I wanted to enjoy the improvement in quality. After coming to this site, I picked up a Sennheiser HD439 for $40.00 on BestBuy clearance and did the tape mod. It was definitely worth it. 

Since then, I've picked up a (very, very, very cheap, $25.00) set of Soul SL150s...and subsequently got tired of them. Then I picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentums, which I love because I have Smurf ears that fit the cups. Then, I picked up a pair of Koss TBSE's, which were subsequently regifted to my Father-in-Law. Most recently, I've picked up a set of VMODA M-80s for on the go. 

I haven't been here a month yet. My music sounds much better; my wallet is much lighter. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #726 of 911
My first after reading the board for a time was the Grado ps500 just awesome cans..

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #727 of 911
Quote:
That happens a lot. Scam! Any ways, head-fi is not totally objective at times, but at least it's more objective than amazon.

How did you come across portable amp before joining head-fi? I never knew such thing existed before joining head-fi.

I was just Googling and Head-Fi came up first. So I begun reading the various forums in Head-Fi.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #729 of 911
Quote:
Fostex TH900 and ATH W1000X oh man reading Head-fi really kill my wallet

Sounds like you just dove in haha.

My first purchase after a week on head-fi was the adidas hd25-1ii, maan were those fun portable 'phones

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #730 of 911
Quote:
Sounds like you just dove in haha.

My first purchase after a week on head-fi was the adidas hd25-1ii, maan were those fun portable 'phones

Yea, cause i before join head-fi i already have momentum and mdr-1r, so i decided to take the w1000x and th 900 so i hope i'm not buying headphone anymore, well that can't work cause there're an ortho and open cans..
HD 25-1ii is great cans but i don't get good fit with it.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #731 of 911
My journey into higher end audio started back in January, from a pair of Bose ie2s. They were becoming old so I started doing some research into headphones. Really I think all I did was google best pair of headphones. Then head-fi was there, and I was astonished by all the knowledge. After reading for a good 2, 3 weeks I was going to buy a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50s, but got a pair of Beyerdynamic dt770s for the same price. At the same time I ordered a fiio e11. A couple months later, I ordered the Heir Audio 3.ai for portable use. Few weeks ago I ordered a Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC, and now a pair of HD650s. All in all I've spent over a thousand on this and it hasn't been very long! Regardless I have acquired unbelievable amounts of knowledge and am very grateful for it. Thank you head-fi, sorry bank!

Ya, simply it was the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro (250 ohm)

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #732 of 911
I remember the first purchase I made was a used HD558 on eBay after browsing head-fi on the topic of the HD558 vs HD598. I still enjoy listening to music on it from time to time.

I also bought the ATH-A700X beforehand due to a review on CNET I read about the ATH-A700 - this began my journey into hifi. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #733 of 911
Quote:
I've spent about 1.5k on audio... as a student that's more than I spend on anything else.

I'm sure when Im a student, all my money will be going int ocamera gear... Ill hopefull have a good enough headphone rig in two years to hold me over
biggrin.gif
Right now Im looking forward to graduating my SR80is to RS180s tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back