What was your first headphone purchase after coming to Head-Fi?
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #692 of 911
I came here because I had been using the Triple Fi 10 for almost 3 years. Got tired of stuffing foam into my ears so I needed a headphone.
BTW before this I had the DT-990 and AKG K701 but only had a portable amp(!).

Anyway, the first headphone I bought was the Shure SRH-840. After maybe 6 months I got tired of the discomfort and side-graded to the M50. I wasn't a fan of it's recessed mids (had the old version) so I ended up with the DJ100 and K240 Studio.

Biggest mistake I ever made was waiting to get a really good desktop amp. I skipped that for the longest time.

The first setup was an HD-600 and Asgard. Sounded good but I found out the mids of the HD-600 were not doing it for me. Switched to the K601 and K702 and always hated it with the Asgard1 so I switched to the Micro Amp and have been addicted to the AKG sound ever since.
I think most of my money has been spent trying to find the perfect setup for the HD-650 and K702/Q701.

One thing i've learned is that for me it's easy to not like a specific headphone on the wrong amp. Maybe i'm too picky really?

I'm glad to say that I have no plans on getting more headphones. I might get a Bifrost since I'm a huge fan of my Modi. Maybe they'll be quite similar?

Oh yeah...actually before the SRH-840 I bought the gold SR-325i. It brings back bad memories. I hated it so much that I sold it immediately. The latest one seems to be a bit better but I prefer the SR-225i. Never liked the SR-80 much.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #693 of 911
I've lurked here for quite a long time.  Actually only joined a couple of weeks ago.  The first serious headphone I purchased was a
Denon D2000.  I just recently gave that to my son, and bought an Audioengine D1 for him.  Now he is hooked.   I then moved up to a Denon D7000, which I love very much.  If the house were burning, I'd grab them.  Two days ago I received my Hifiman HE-500.  It is still breaking in but so far I'm very pleased.  Will have to grab those too if the house is burning.  Currently I am powering those with a Headroom Desktop Amp.  It seems to work well with the both of them.  Was staying away from tubes as I don't think they would pair too well with the D7000.  I know this isn't the thread to ask, but any suggestions as to something that people would think would be a good pairing for both the D7000 and the HE-500, I'm open.  Just don't want to go backwards from where I'm at now.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #694 of 911
i started out with a Sony MDR-ZX100 with unknown intention. Besides having this little spark of interest in headphones.

Then i got Skullcandy Uprocks (pre-tetsuro) which wasnt an educated purchase.

I really got a pair of Sennheiser HD201's and a Sony MDR-XB500 after Headfi.

but i would say Headfi helped me seek out and purchase a Koss Portapro, my Grado Sr80i, and now my Sony MDR-V6

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #695 of 911
First purchase after reading the threads here for the first time was the DT 1350,  followed shortly thereafter by the HD600.  Though opinions vary greatly about reviewed equipment,  I find it still the best source of feedback when trying to buy something you have never tested yourself.  It's amazing how few cities really have brick and mortar stores that carry portable, desktop, and headphone equipment of any notable selection.  Wonder if there is a niche there for the entrepreneur?  Or are we all just an exclusive minority?

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #698 of 911
Sony MDR-V6. Nothing else at its price seemed to offer what I was seeking. I am very happy with them. Then again I did no comparison shopping and haven't listened to anything else since acquiring these (other than the four stereo setups in the house). Their sound reminds me of my Infinity Interlude speakers.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #700 of 911
Koss Portapro for night listening and listening while traveling or during dental procedures. Light, easy on the ears, clear headphone that seems to be pretty balanced, good imaging, with the right amount of isolation. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #701 of 911
Yuin PK3 earbuds. Don't even remember the specific impetus to researching those at the time, but I'd looked around Head-Fi a bit before that. Used to be active on the old AV123 forum, and was (and arguably still am) a speaker guy. No idea how much gear I've bought since then, but it's easily been in the dozens of units and more money than I'd like to think about. Didn't have any real headphones to speak of before that-- bought a pair of Ultimate Ears (don't remember which model) at some point before that as a gift, and looked on HF for info, but the PK3 was my first just-for-me purchase. 

I've now gifted the PK3 to my mom, who has since regifted them to my uncle, and I've spread the horrible sickness of HF-itis to my mom and my sister... And I'm still trying to figure out what I could sell to connive my way into an end-game Stax setup :wink:

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #702 of 911
Quote:
I've now gifted the PK3 to my mom, who has since regifted them to my uncle, and I've spread the horrible sickness of HF-itis to my mom and my sister... And I'm still trying to figure out what I could sell to connive my way into an end-game Stax setup :wink:

Lol. Spreading head-fi! I did that to my mom through Ety MC5. I also tried to convince my dad that headphones are not always inferior to speakers, but even after trying HD598, V6, and SRH940, he's convinced that all the headphones sound the same as the Bose OE I gave him two years back.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #703 of 911
I bought a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's after reading review of the 680's on techpowerup.com

I then found head-fi after seeking some amplifier recommendations, the rest is history.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #704 of 911
I had a HD25-1 before coming to head-fi, after which I bought a HD 598. And tried a DT770 (sent it back though).

Then a Shure SRH840 appeared out of nowhere, and after that I was where I am today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back