What to Rockbox?
May 24, 2010 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Elladan

100+ Head-Fier
It seems as though, beyond iPods, which I simply dislike, there aren't many DAPs currently on sale in the US that can be Rockboxed.  What's currently available?  What's best?  I'd like to give Rockbox a try for the great EQ customization and crossfeed options, but don't want to invest a whole ton of money.  Another question: can you still use a DAP as a video player when you install Rockbox?

May 25, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Rockbox.org lists the Clips and the currently-available Fuze as unstable ports.  Looking at the model details table, it seems that the only issue is that USB file transfer is disabled.  I could live with that easily enough...is that really the issue?

May 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Rockbox.org lists the Clips and the currently-available Fuze as unstable ports.  Looking at the model details table, it seems that the only issue is that USB file transfer is disabled.  I could live with that easily enough...is that really the issue?

I don't know what you mean by this.

May 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

Everything for the clip+ is solid. If you want to transfer files you just boot into the original firmware (OF) which takes a minute at the most if the clip is full.

I recommend the fuze over the clip+ unless you really need the small form factor because of the bigger battery and better screen.

The clip has become more or less my main player because of the EQ. I can make my phones however I want, so sound signature preferences become pretty much irrelevant.

May 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Personally Rockbox on the Clip+ works flawless and is very stable for me as it plays music like I want it to do and I can set EQ and sound settings and save them like I want it to do. That is all that matters to me. So to me it is stable. Also, the newer builds allow to connect through USB and load up Original Firmware automatically to transfer files and charge battery
dt880smile.png

Art

May 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 12
I just installed Rockbox on the FuzeV2...it was a little annoying trying to install because I didn't realize I had to copy over a previous version of the 2.x firmware, I thought the newest version would work. But now that it's done, the sound is great through headphones. Some people have complained of hiss, but I haven't had any problems with it. If it's there, its not noticeable. 

With the EQ settings from one of ABI's posts, it sounds much better than any of my iPods. Without Rockbox, the Fuze still sounds very good, but it takes 10 minutes to install RB, you may as well go for it. I haven't had any problems with stability (knock on wood), and the UI is much easier to navigate, since my folders are separated by first letter of artist's name, so I don't have to scroll through 650+ artists to get to the appropriate folder.

May 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 12
As others have said, the Sansa products are pretty stable.  I have a Clip+ that has been rockbox'ed along with my iPod 4G Color and 5G.  All 3 are running like champs, but there are some items that people need to be aware of.  USB transfer on the Clip+ isn't there within Rockbox as mentioned above so booting in to the OF is necessary for this.  Even the more "mature" versions on the iPods have some problems (ex. charging via USB...there is a patch, but it isn't part of the current builds yet).

I have a modified script, originally written for the Clip, I use in iTunes to transfer any of my playlists along with the music in their appropriate directory hierarchy.  The music is copied over as /Music/Artist/Album/Song and the playlist is placed in /Playlists.  This works for both the Clip+ and iPods since it is just looking for an install of rockbox on a mounted device (Clip+ SD card is another story, but can be worked around to work).  This was the last thing I needed to transition 100% to rockbox as I have used iTunes on a Mac since it was purchased as SoundJam by Apple many years ago, and I have a lot of playlists built up.  This is an AppleScript, so it is Mac only, but I'm not a fan of iTunes on Windows anyway, so even if I ran Windows, I'd use something else....rambling now, sorry.

As for video, rockbox does support video, although I will admit that I have never tried it, but the support is there for at least several of the iPods.

May 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by this.

Sorry, was meaning to ask if USB transfer was the only issue making the port unstable.  If it is, and presuming dual boot is available, I can live with it.

Thanks for all the replies; I think I'll pick up a Fuze V2 and try it out.  I've been using a Zune 80gb for a couple of years, and am just sick of the Zune software (and lack of EQ).

May 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 12
The Clip was listed as unusable in the past because it was randomly crashing with Data Abort errors (infinite loops). The problem was in the dynamic stepping nature of the processor's clock (energy savings). It hasn't crashed (for me) since they set the clock at a fixed rate of 240 MHz.

Damn clear button -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back