What sound card or DAC/headphone amp to buy?
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #47 of 58
No its not bad. Its what most people use on the modi/vali or modi/magni stacks.
someone else pic.
frontsc2.jpg.ab345a0baabde6121d97632d4436df92.jpg

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #48 of 58
The pyst rca cable also works well with them side by side (As long as you don't have to super wide expensive dac/amps from schiit) if you can't stack them. I got the modi/valhalla2 and can't really stack valhalla on top of my modi comfortably.

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #49 of 58
The pyst rca cable also works well with them side by side (As long as you don't have to super wide expensive dac/amps from schiit) if you can't stack them. I got the modi/valhalla2 and can't really stack valhalla on top of my modi comfortably.
I can't put them side by side, so I will stack them. I was planning on putting them under the monitor next to the right speaker (between the monitor stand and the right speaker, to the right of the mouse cable).

DSCN1294_zps8tbppvoi.jpg

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #50 of 58
Yeah it's not the most elegant having them side by side but, was just letting u know that their is a little bit of slack to work with.

Also nice setup. Wish I could keep my desk that organized :p.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #51 of 58
Also nice setup. Wish I could keep my desk that organized :p.
You haven't seen everything yet, it's a lot worse at the right side which isn't in the picture :grin:

Anyway, I think I will go with the Magni 2U with the PYST RCA cables, just to play it safe. I never heard tubes and if I want to I will buy one later or maybe go somewhere I can listen to a tube.

Edit: I really don't know what to get now, Vali 2 or Magni 2U :confused: Any more recommendations for someone like me who doesn't know what to choose? Solid state or solid state/tube hybrid? Is it true I can swap the tube for a more solid state sounding one if I don't like it? I read the Vali 2 is more neutral than the Magni 2U.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #52 of 58
The tube that came with my vali 2 was closer to a solid state than a tube sound. You can change the tube to taylor the sound to how you want it. That is one benefiet of the Vali 2, where you are stuck with how the magni 2 sounds.

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #53 of 58
With a solid state amp, you're done. Plug in your headphones, turn on the amp, and enjoy your music. With a tube amp, you might still be anxious about whether the tube you're using is the best one.

A good solid state amp (which I think the Magni 2U is) will drive your headphones nicely. If you don't like the sound of your amped headphones, the issue is probably with the headphones. Put a tube into the equation, and now you have a second variable to fret.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #54 of 58
With a solid state amp, you're done. Plug in your headphones, turn on the amp, and enjoy your music. With a tube amp, you might still be anxious about whether the tube you're using is the best one.

A good solid state amp (which I think the Magni 2U is) will drive your headphones nicely. If you don't like the sound of your amped headphones, the issue is probably with the headphones. Put a tube into the equation, and now you have a second variable to fret.
My current setup sometimes produces somewhat unpleasant trebles and from what I understand a warmer sounding setup solves this. The Schiit stack is a quite warm sounding setup, isn't it?

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #55 of 58
Just ordered a Vali 2 and maybe I will order a (used) Schiit LISST 'tube' later. That way I can hear in what way a real tube amp might alter the sound and if I don't like it I can make a solid state amp from the Vali 2.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #56 of 58
Just ordered a Vali 2 and maybe I will order a (used) Schiit LISST 'tube' later. That way I can hear in what way a real tube amp might alter the sound and if I don't like it I can make a solid state amp from the Vali 2.
Just as advice, Schiit doesn't officially support the LISST with the Vali 2 so be wary before you purchase it.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #58 of 58
I now have received both Schiit Modi Multibit (it's called 'Mimby' in short?) and Vali 2 with the PYST RCA cables, connected them and I really love the sound. It's deeper and more detailed. I have the Vali 2 for a couple of days now, but I can't tell if I like or dislike the tube sound, because I don't really hear a big difference.

I did however run into a problem. I connected the Modi Multibit to the PC today (with a standard USB cable connected to a USB3.0 port on the back of my PC, also tried a standard USB2.0 port), Windows 10 detected it immediately and told me to restart the computer (I did so, because I heard crackling in the sound), but after the restart I still heard the crackling and occasional pops in the sound (on both my headphones and speakers). I set the PC to output 24 bit/192 kHz to the Modi (also happens at 16 bit/44.1 kHz). I did however also notice the crackling and popping was caused by very high network and SSD activity (I was running a backup at the time), is this normal? Can this be the fault of the USB cable itself (I did order a shielded cable, but have yet to receive it)?

Is it also normal the Schiit Modi Multibit is almost too hot to touch? And is it correct I cannot install the official drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back