What sound card or DAC/headphone amp to buy?
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Frank161

Formerly known as FrankyBoy161
Hi everyone,

I have asked this before, but after selling the headphones I was using back then (I didn't like them), I didn't use headphones anymore that much. A month ago however I bought a Philips Fidelio X2HR headphone and I am just in love with them. However, I don't have the equipment to let them shine (or I think so at least). My current setup is a Simple Audio Listen (speakerset), but the built-in USB DAC just sucks (there is constant noise). Now I have switched to the onboard audio from my Asus Maximum VI Hero motherboard (both for the headphones and my speakerset), but I don't think the onboard sound of that is really good and I guess my headphones can sound a lot better.

So the last couple of weeks I have been looking for a better solution to get better audio out of my computer, but I am a bit stuck on what to buy. I hope you guys can help me with this, because I don't know much about these things and I am new to the 'audiophile' world. So, first a question, internal sound card, external DAC or audio interface?

I have been looking at the following devices already (can't think of any others I have looked at right now):
  • Schiit Uber Stack (Modi 2 Uber with Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2)
  • Asus Essence STX II (sound card)
  • SMSL M6 (I like the controls and screen on it)
  • AudioEngine D1
  • Aune X1S (don't like the giant power brick for it)
What devices can you guys recommend with the following features for music, gaming and movies?
Must have:
  • Good DAC (24-bit 96kHz?)
  • No noise
  • At least one analog output and a headphone output (doesn't have to be amped, but could be nice in the future)
  • At least 2 digital inputs (except when internal)
  • Connections at the back (except headphone out)
  • If external, not deeper than 20 cm (my desk isn't huge)
  • Maximum price of €350 (including taxes)
  • Available in Europe and shipped to Belgium
Nice to have:
  • Digital volume control
  • Not a gigantic power brick attached to it (should be easy to stick under a desk)
  • Mic input
  • On/off switch at the front (if external)
  • Output switch (so I don't need to unplug my headphone when I want to use speakers)
So there you have it, if I think about anything else I will let you guys know.

Notable:

• I don't care about the installation difficulty of the drivers, as long as I can find them
  • I don't have a preference in the sound, as long as it is clear
Sorry about the long post and if this has already been asked by someone else. If you don't understand anything, please ask/tell me. Thank you anyway!

Frank

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 58
Now I have switched to the onboard audio from my Asus Maximum VI Hero motherboard (both for the headphones and my speakerset), but I don't think the onboard sound of that is really good and I guess my headphones can sound a lot better.
Your motherboard has a pretty good DAC/Amp. Considering your current headphone, my recommendation would be to use that money for your DAC/Amp to get better headphones. You'd get a better value out of your money that way but if you want to future proof that would work too.

Sorry about the long post and if this has already been asked by someone else. If you don't understand anything, please ask/tell me. Thank you anyway!
Budget?

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 58
Your motherboard has a pretty good DAC/Amp. Considering your current headphone, my recommendation would be to use that money for your DAC/Amp to get better headphones. You'd get a better value out of your money that way but if you want to future proof that would work too.
I actually don't believe it is a good DAC/amp. The drivers anyway just s***. Maybe also worth noting is I will be buying a new motherboard in a couple of months, probably the MSI X299 SLI PLUS, don't know if the sound is any good on that motherboard.

It's in the 'must have' section of my post. €350 with taxes.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 58
It's in the 'must have' section of my post. €350 with taxes.
Sorry my bad, didn't see it.

I don't know how much tax is in your country but at that price, maybe a Modi 2U (since you want multiple inputs) and a Magni 2U (for the outputs). If your speakers are active, then instead of the Magni 2U, you can buy the Magni 2 and a Sys so you will have a output switch. Total is about $300 (from USA and for both options but Schiit has a Europe distributor, you'll have to check prices with them) which is about €270 so that leaves you €80 for taxes which hopefully will be enough.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 58
I don't know how much tax is in your country but at that price, maybe a Modi 2U (since you want multiple inputs) and a Magni 2U (for the outputs). If your speakers are active, then instead of the Magni 2U, you can buy the Magni 2 and a Sys so you will have a output switch. Total is about $300 (from USA and for both options but Schiit has a Europe distributor, you'll have to check prices with them) which is about €270 so that leaves you €80 for taxes which hopefully will be enough.
If it is shipped from Europe I shouldn't have to pay any taxes, only if they are shipped from outside Europe (which I would like to avoid). You mean http://www.schiit-europe.com/, right?

With the Schiit stack I will have to have 2 power outlets available, don't I? Or are there combined power supplies for this stack? Not a problem if there aren't any, but I would like to be able to turn this off easily without having to flip a switch on the back of the device (especially with 2 devices).

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 58
Yep.
With the Schiit stack I will have to have 2 power outlets available, don't I? Or are there combined power supplies for this stack? Not a problem if there aren't any, but I would like to be able to turn this off easily without having to flip a switch on the back of the device (especially with 2 devices).
Yeah you will need 2 power outlets but I'd recommend to keep the DAC on 24/7 anyways so you don't need to turn that one off.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 58
Yeah you will need 2 power outlets but I'd recommend to keep the DAC on 24/7 anyways so you don't need to turn that one off.
I cut off all power to my computer, monitor, ... at night anyway, so doesn't matter. It's a bit more expensive than the €270 you mentioned however, it's about €340 with shipping.

Is it actually worth getting a Vali 2 instead of the Magni 2 Uber? And are there maybe any all-in-one devices you (or someone else) can highly recommend?

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 58
Is it actually worth getting a Vali 2 instead of the Magni 2 Uber?
Vali 2 is a hybrid tube amp. If you like tubes, you can get that. To be quite honest the Vali 2 sounds pretty much like a solid state anyways with stock tubes so unless you plan to roll tubes it won't be that big of a difference.

And are there maybe any all-in-one devices you (or someone else) can highly recommend?
JDS O2+ODAC.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 58
If you like tubes, you can get that.
I have never heard a tube amp, so I really wouldn't know if I like them.
JDS O2+ODAC
I have read a lot of good things about that DAC/Amp combo, but it only has one digital input if I'm correct. I also haven't found a place yet in Europe to buy one with an extra analog output to connect my speakers.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 58
I have never heard a tube amp, so I really wouldn't know if I like them.
That's something you'll have to try out for yourself :).

I have read a lot of good things about that DAC/Amp combo, but it only has one digital input if I'm correct. I also haven't found a place yet in Europe to buy one with an extra analog output to connect my speakers.
You can get the JDS OL DAC and O2 Amp separately instead of the O2+ODAC if you want a second input.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 58
http://headnhifi.com/ Should sell it in Europe.
I can't seem to find the OL DAC with 2 digital inputs on that website. The buttons also look kinda cheap and I don't like the look on that.

The Schiit Uber stack so far seems like the best option (with this connector bridge) option for me, although I would prefer an all-in-one unit. I have to admit the Schiit Stack does look nice and fits the color scheme on my desk (black and silver). What about any of the things I named in my first post?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 58
I can't seem to find the OL DAC with 2 digital inputs on that website. The buttons also look kinda cheap and I don't like the look on that.

The Schiit Uber stack so far seems like the best option (with this connector bridge) option for me, although I would prefer an all-in-one unit. I have to admit the Schiit Stack does look nice and fits the color scheme on my desk (black and silver). What about any of the things I named in my first post?
I haven't heard many good things about the SMSL, but I haven't personally used them either so I won't comment too much. I don't know about the rest, haven't heard or seen them at all. I know Audioengine makes nice speakers but that's about it.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 58
I haven't heard many good things about the SMSL, but I haven't personally used them either so I won't comment too much. I don't know about the rest, haven't heard or seen them at all. I know Audioengine makes nice speakers but that's about it.
Zeos from Z Reviews said the SMSL M6 is a good one. I ordered one a week ago, but unfortunately had to return it, because the power supply was DOA. I couldn't test it, but the build quality was good. I was actually hoping for more people to react on this post to get some more feedback/advice. Your advice has been good however, Dulalala, because I have looked at Schiit a lot, but I didn't know I could actually buy them here in Europe, so I kinda lost interest in them.

Edit: Perhaps a stupid question, but does the Schiit Modi 2 Uber come with a USB cable? If not, do you guys recommend any or just buy the PYST USB with it?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 58
It is just a reseller of the O2 and ODAC, the ones you asked about, after all it is pretty much a DIY kit,so if you think something looks 'cheap' you can replace it ;D
You could build a ODAC that look like some recycled trash, and in a taped up cardboard box, and it would be just as good as the one from JDS :wink:

However the OL DAC is afaik actually made by JDS, so it is no surprise you can't find it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back